Waterproof P&S cameras

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
Lochswa

Re: Waterproof P&S cameras

Post by Lochswa » Wed May 11, 2011 1:05 pm

A couple of years ago I purchased a Olympus SW 850. I got it because I take alot of cameras with me swimming. Not on purpose mind u. First day out with it I went diving in the Deleware with my mask to try it out. It was definetly designed/geared for the ocean where theres alot more light available. It takes great people with fish, Landscapes, and good macro shots provided u arent taking midge pictures. I will have to dig out a couple of pictures to show. So I was diving that first day <with camera in pocket> and we were about to leave. I noticed it fell out of my pocket! Went back over and found it, luckily. I found it deeper then the maximum depth they said in the instructions. Theres ALOT of features that it seems like u need a course or some instruction, or alot of trial and error to get a feel of. Too bad the girl I was seeing decided to keep it :bomb

One other thing I noticed with it. I was lucky enough to come across a praying mantis on a backpack trip with it. I took a slough of pictures as u never know when u get the chance again. It had alot of trouble trying to find a focal point to focus on at times.

Roy

Post by Roy » Sat May 14, 2011 9:23 pm

I have a Pentax Optio 90. Everything you'll ever need in a P & S.

peetso

Post by peetso » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Well Gents,

Went for a swim. Real swim. Not just a bath. Two sets of rapids kind of swim. Those wet rocks are slippery as a motherfucker.

Turns out the Olympus Tough 8010 is indeed waterproof . . . just not if you leave the charger door open. Camera is NFG. Had some decent pics of the trip on there too.

So I am now in the market for a new camera (instead of a new 6wt). Looking at the Sony TX10 and Pentax Optio WG1 and the Panasonic TS3

Them Pentax look fairly bomber but are ugly as sin. And the Sony's look nice and sleek but a little slippery if they get wet.

Looking for anybody that has any experience with these cameras or other recommendations for a decent PandS waterproof to share a little info if they got any.

Recycled Ginger Payment:
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:54 pm

everybody is making them now, this looks like a good one

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panaso ... nic_dmcts3

I hate the new Oly with the joystick control...
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

FredA

Post by FredA » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:00 pm

woolly bugger wrote:everybody is making them now, this looks like a good one

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panaso ... nic_dmcts3
I've got last years model in that line woolly. Love it. The thing powers up lighting fast for those quick pics. So far I've gotten some really nice shots with it.

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 pm

I'll give a plug for the Kodak Playsport it's not really a P&S since its really a video camera, but I've been pretty surprised by the 5 MP still shots that it takes. I accidentally took it about 50 feet down in Hawaii freediving, with no leakage.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:22 pm

i've always and only bought canons and been very pleased with them. i was about to pull the trigger on a a d-10. the d-10 is a good camera but it's too bulky.

i went on truchero's recommendation and got a panasonic lumix ts-2. very, very glad i didn't get the d-10.

one of my buddies had the optio. after i got the lumix he sold his optio 2 days later and acquired a lumix.

do yourself a favor...
III

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:16 am

NeedmoreDEET wrote:I'll give a plug for the Kodak Playsport it's not really a P&S since its really a video camera, but I've been pretty surprised by the 5 MP still shots that it takes. I accidentally took it about 50 feet down in Hawaii freediving, with no leakage.
For something similar, I saw this earlier today-

"Vivitar rolls out 690 HD camcorder: waterproof, 720p, $60"- http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/05/vivi ... f-720p-60/

I mean, shit, its $60.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Damn, for $60 it seems to be worth a try. The issue that I have with these long little video cameras is their "form factor" and mounting options. The Go Pro series of cameras seems a little better but more expensive.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

TX.

Post by TX. » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm

I have a Pentax W30 and after hanging w/ Transywader this weekend decided to step up, he's shooting the W90, which they don't make anymore, so I started looking at the Pentax WG1.
Read some reviews and at a few bucks more the Panasonic TS3 seems like a much better camera for the money.

Anybody shot both?
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:44 am

Nikon is finally in, well soon anyway. from the chum dumpster

http://www.moldychum.com/home-old/2011/ ... eview.html

even has a cool hotspotting feature.

TX.

Post by TX. » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:04 am