Lightroom Gurus?

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
NeedmoreDEET

Lightroom Gurus?

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Fri May 27, 2011 1:33 am

Any tips or good information sources to get the most out of this? How are you publishing? Do you make a new catalog for each big shoot like a long trip, or do you put everything in the main catalog?

Ugly dog LR3 "publish" test spam bump - auto processed, resized, published to HD
IMG_0002.jpg
65 pound bitch
IMG_0002.jpg (102.46 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

locogringo

Re: Lightroom Gurus?

Post by locogringo » Fri May 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Awesome god.

First and foremost, you want all your pics in one master folder. This folder can have 10000 folders inside it if needed. LR by default puts your pic in My Pictures or Pictures depending on OS. Go there and make a folder titled "My LR Pics" or "My Shitty Pics" or whatever. In the "My Shitty Pics" folders, you can do anything you want. The reason for this is sooner or later you will want to move that stuff to another drive or new computer. By using the one master folder system, you can transfer on folder instead of hundreds of individual folders.

Unless you are dealing with 10's of thousands of pics, I would stay with one catalogue. Catalogue as large as that can sometimes slow the system down though that may not be as big a problem in LR 3.

Inside this folder, I have a folder for each year. Inside each year, I have folders for each trip or shoot or subject or other photographers name if I am printing for someone else. You can do it by date. Whatever makes it easy for you to find it. Also, get in the habit of keywording you photos. You can search for photos by keywords like "big ass steelhead", "titty bar" whatever.

You can use the publish feature to go to Smug Mug or Flickr or others. I don't have those things, so I don't use them. For Drake reports, I set an export preset with the correct size, sRGB color space, resolution, sharpening set for screen and export pics to a folder named Drake. You can contain this in your catalogue or not. I don't because I already have the originals in there and I don't want a shrunken version in there as well.

Scott Kelby's book is a good get started book. Martin Evening's book is a more in depth. A few days with Kelby's book and you will be operating. A few weeks or months with Evening's book and you are getting master level. Luminous Landscape forum has a downloadable tutorial that is supposed to be the shit. I haven't done it yet, but I am going to.

Others may have other better suggestions, but this works for me.

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Fri May 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks. I already have an extra internal drive for pictures that I periodically update separately. I've got everything sgregated by year. When I did the first import there were 16,000+ pictures pulled in and it retained the folder structurewhich was nice. There are just so many damn ways that you can do things, that it's good to get some feedback about different workflows.

I going to check out the two books you've referenced.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

jdub

Post by jdub » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:33 pm

locogringo wrote: For Drake reports, I set an export preset with the correct size, sRGB color space, resolution, sharpening set for screen and export pics to a folder named Drake.
I always do that kind of stuff manually: I would love to set up an export preset. Any tricks to it? I don't see any obvious tabs in the program for this.
"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown

http://utahstreamaccess.org/

locogringo

Post by locogringo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:57 pm

jdub wrote:
locogringo wrote: For Drake reports, I set an export preset with the correct size, sRGB color space, resolution, sharpening set for screen and export pics to a folder named Drake.
I always do that kind of stuff manually: I would love to set up an export preset. Any tricks to it? I don't see any obvious tabs in the program for this.
Set up a pic or pics for export the way you want it. Once you have it set up, look over to the left hand side below the presets window and above the plug in manager button for the "add" button. Click that and a window will come up allowing you to name it. Name it and it will be saved in the preset window. You can then select one or many pics, click export then click your preset. If you have more than one they will all export at once. You need to manually input each time the number to start the file naming in the destination folder.

Ramcatt

Post by Ramcatt » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:52 pm

jdub wrote: I would love to set up an export preset. Any tricks to it? I don't see any obvious tabs in the program for this.

"export with previous"
"Ramcatt is the origninal cuntry fishing troubadour, and the youngest dirty old man to fish these waters"
- Al Goldstein (c.1973)

jdub

Post by jdub » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:12 am

locogringo wrote:
jdub wrote:
Set up a pic or pics for export the way you want it. Once you have it set up, look over to the left hand side below the presets window and above the plug in manager button for the "add" button. Click that and a window will come up allowing you to name it. Name it and it will be saved in the preset window. You can then select one or many pics, click export then click your preset. If you have more than one they will all export at once. You need to manually input each time the number to start the file naming in the destination folder.
Are you in LR3? I found the ability to add a User Preset that I can define size, sharpening, watermark, etc. but it is in the dialogue box that opens once you select a photo for export....but then I also found the custom Presets on the left side (user presets) that you can pre-set all of the color or B&W manipulations you want. A frigging cornucopia of presets....

Thanks for setting me on the rite path...
"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown

http://utahstreamaccess.org/

Plow

Post by Plow » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Check out Kelby Training. http://www.kelbytraining.com/ Lots of great training videos (LR, PS, etc), cost about $25 a month and worth it for a couple of months.
Better Reds than dead...

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:03 pm

everybody's right on the money with advice...

I do about one catalog per year...
I keep all of my photos on an eSATA drive which is backed up daily to a RAID
export presets for webwork, drake, client previews, etc. are the tits..

I also use LR/Mogrify 2 for my watermarks and borders...

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/pr ... grify2.php
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan