Winners Announced>> Photo Contest: Tested on Animals

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
west_jay

Re: Photo Contest: Tested on Animals

Post by west_jay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 am

SLSS wrote: I don't have a Nautilus or a guitar fish, so I'm voting for blumkin, though sullivan threw up his usual stellar photography and some sweet fish. Blump has it for variety though. :cool
Want one? (Nautilus, that is)...I've got an extra FW7, minty-black ('cause ima whore-der) I'm lookin' to trade for a comp. 9/10wt.

There's still time to get on board.

Oh yeah...Best thread of '11
I never met anyone named Joel that wasn't a complete knob. – CharlieJenkem

jhnnythndr

Post by jhnnythndr » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Back on track. CE- the endorsement by SLSS of Bruce cambell should be enough for anyone.

SLSS I'm going with he shaved a new one out of his old growth. That is the only true manner in which one can get a new mustache "today". Cultivation, even in extreme instances, takes longer than "today" and if you cultivate and announce it complete, without acknowledging the process- well, simply put- an egregious breach of etiquette. That scenario would be more lime "my new mustache is finally done" or similar statement.

But CE- as his name suggests- is a careless guy, and as such relatively unemcumberd by the social sensibilities which bind so many so harshly to the grind. I and I are most sure that he neither misrepresents not misleads us with his statement. And if we don't understand, the fault lies within our own minds.

Ken burns does bother me too. I listen to NPR. A bunch. The world mainly- I lime good music. I find that public and college radio are the only sources of good music available to me thru conventional means. Of course I can stream pandora or what have you- listen to mp3s but I find that having the song actually broadcast makes a huge difference in the quality of my listening experience. Not to say I avoid pandora. I don't.
"Whenever I find myself growing green about the mouth; whenever it is a damp drizzly November in my soul; and especially whenever it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from methodically knocking peoples hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea."

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:41 pm

I think I would fall into the ethiopians's school- lack of concern for the conventional norm. But had I heeded that, there was no room for the nonsensical post above. And I felt like posting.

I had a weird experience this weekend- many friends and acquaintances didn't recognize me after not seeing them for a year. Yes I have some scrub on my face, and had on an older hat, but its funny not realizing the world's view of you has changed (beard), but it looks the same from your own eyes. Makes you realize how easy it would be to go incognito.

I agree on the npr music- lots of good college stations around the country channeling through npr. It's kind of funny - or maybe odd- I have no musical ability what so ever, despite the best efforts/demands of my folks. Can't remember music, or bands, read music or play any instruments- but I find music distracting when I work. I listen to all the npr news programs (qualifying me as a libtard in the dark grotto of the sub-basement), and with out listening/focusing all that closely, I recall much of what I hear. I listen to the music programming when I travel. Don't mind being a little distracted when hauling.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

CarelessEthiopian

Post by CarelessEthiopian » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Indeed, it was "carved" out of "old growth". The first day is always the best. I forget I have a 'stache then I catch a glimpse of my reflection and get a good chuckle out of it. I have been to Walla Walla, and have friends there, but I do not hail from that country. I'm an easterner. Grew up 20 miles from that really big estuary back there and never caught a fucking rockfish. My dad's name is not Don. He does have a monosyllabic name though. My dad does not live in Walla Walla either. He lives just down the street from me actually. He and the missus got a nice place I can walk to. This past season, at age 64, he got his first 100-day ski season. I'm quite proud of him.

SLSS, I know what you mean about not being recognized. I'm one of those guys that always remembers people, but never gets remembered. And in this small town, it gets old. It's like, "Really man? I've met you like a dozen times over the last few years and you have no idea who I am?" I guess I don't do as many drugs as I thought. I can't blame them really. My hair goes from short to long and my whiskers are always doing something different. I like to fly under the radar anyway, like that Simpsons character Guy Incognito.

I only get to listen to NPR on Sundays, when I work by myself. Caah Talk is pretty good.

And shit, I just googled Bruce. Of course I know who that guy is! Not sure what I should watch first.
boy in long pants

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Have not had PBS or television for that matter, since the gubment
made "rabbit ears" a thing of the past, couple years back
I watched a shit ton of PBS back in the day though, and loved it.

I listen to NPR a lot, I find the voices very soothing
you hardly ever hear a voice like mine on NPR
mine is monotone / stoner and I drop the F bomb
about 3 times per coherent sentence
In fact I mostly mumble incoherently.

The world, Fresh air, The story with Dave Gordon.
I listen to all that and a lot more on NPR.
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

jhnnythndr

Post by jhnnythndr » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:24 pm

I listen to the news on NPR too. Today was all about Kazakhstan, and how nervous they are about their increased contact/ dependence on their Chinese neighbors. Apparently they associate far not closely with their Russian neighbors, or rather identify more with them- and there is growing concern about a loss of national identity. Some body in gobbment over there tried to rent 200000 acres of farm land to china and almost got killed for it. They are serious about their demonstrations hey.

Pretty cool CE abou the old man lving down the street. I wish my folks would either move near to my sister or else somewhere else awesome. Up here would be ok I suppose as well. They remain in ga though. And steadfastly at that. How did you get your dad out that way? He was on board from the start? Or you coerced him?

People remember me- and I don't quite as well. I attribute much of that to the tattoos. I think there are 9 people in ak with as much space covered as me. And 2 with more. Perhaps- maybe though it has more todo with my memorable wit, rugged looks, and boundless charm? Who am I to speculate.
"Whenever I find myself growing green about the mouth; whenever it is a damp drizzly November in my soul; and especially whenever it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from methodically knocking peoples hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea."

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:40 pm

CarelessEthiopian wrote: I'm one of those guys that always remembers people, but never gets remembered.
Same, but it doesn't bother me. I told some body once I hoped to get to a point where everyone new my work, but didn't know me. If I want to accomplish my aim, I need the work known. I'm barely started down that path, but I gots me a plan. Time will tell.

I'd go with Bubba Ho Tep for the win on BC/s list of hits.

Blump- wouldn't it be sweet to have a foul-mouthed day on npr? Neil Conan telling some politico, Fuck me, you are so full of shit!! I'd feel right at home. I bomb right and left, and my son calls my girl The Captain (of the ship of sailors). Kinda like the schwetty balls skit, but with actual news.
jhnnythndr wrote:Perhaps- maybe though it has more todo with my memorable wit, rugged looks, and boundless charm? Who am I to speculate.
Oh Thunder, tres modest- you know it's gotta be that boundless charm....

OK, I actually ahve to go get some work done. These first days back from a road trip suck- my mind just swims around.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:57 pm

SLSS wrote:
CarelessEthiopian wrote: I'm one of those guys that always remembers people, but never gets remembered.
Same, but it doesn't bother me.
Somethine similar but different happens to me too. This one scenario has happened a few different times, with different people: I go to some party or something and the host says "hey, so and so, I want you to meet my friend D". Meanwhile, "host" has done the same thing at each of his parties, with the same person, for the last 8 years or something. I always say, "I know, we met at each of your last 15 parties".

Is that rude?

I never ask the other person if they remembered meeting me the other 15 times, but it's mostly because I don't much care. Is that wrong?
"The devil's pourin drinks and his daughter needs a ride" - III

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:01 pm

Yes.
some people like Rocky Mountain Oysters... the rest wonder why they are eating balls. - Woolybug

#SavetheDace20XX

jhnnythndr

Post by jhnnythndr » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Bubba hotep, in addition to being the name of my buddies dog, and my annual fallback Halloween costume- is a damn good movie. Damn good. Army of darkness is a strong outing as well, though perhaps one should watch evil dead 2 and perhaps evil dead prior to watching it. My thoughts at least. Likely we should have GnG weigh in on this one, after all ash his tard.

Shop smart- shop S mart

I don't know about that news thing SLSS, to me one of the best things about taking your news from NPR is that it is a far less disruptive delivery system than most. It's far easier for me to listen to descriptions of riots rapes air raids demonstrations coups de ta genocide trials war crimes hate crimes border disputes gang violence drug cartels and unemployment when it's brought to me carried over the waves by the dulcit tones of neil Conan or the matter of fact, yet motherly and soothing sound of Koki Roberts voice. But perhaps that's just me. I dislime news, and I prefer to ingest as little of it as possible.

Oh- an CE, another thought- maybe you could watch brisco county jr somehow. I don't know hulu? Netflix? I don't know. But I you can it's quite good as well.

D- I don't really think so. I mean, if the only place you ever see them is when your buddy introduces you at parties treat them lime shit if you Want. If they do remember you it'll be lime this "oh shit, here comes mike with that total asshole, fuck what was his name again? Nevermind- just watch, he'll introduce us, he always does, an then that bastard is gonna say something quite impolite- he always does. Well thankfully he never sticks around either, so I don't have to try to act unoffended by him. What a total bastard. Maybe next year mike won't introduce us"

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:33 pm

jhnnythndr wrote:I don't know about that news thing SLSS, to me one of the best things about taking your news from NPR is that it is a far less disruptive delivery system than most. It's far easier for me to listen to descriptions of riots rapes air raids demonstrations coups de ta genocide trials war crimes hate crimes border disputes gang violence drug cartels and unemployment when it's brought to me carried over the waves by the dulcit tones of neil Conan or the matter of fact, yet motherly and soothing sound of Koki Roberts voice. But perhaps that's just me. I dislime news, and I prefer to ingest as little of it as possible.
Summed up perfectly thnndr... Dave Gordon has lulled me to sleep a few times
whilst I was driving a dump truck loaded with pea gravel down the I 15...

Although an SLSS "Bob Ross" type painting show would be perfect for PBS
show starts after SLSS has had a sixer of Sierra Nevada Torpedos
that would be great...
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

CarelessEthiopian

Post by CarelessEthiopian » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Just added Brisco and My Name is Bruce to my netflix queue. Bumped them to the top of the list, but just below Scrapple, I wanna watch that first. Not too much Bruce to watch instantly. Evil Dead is on tap for tonight. Ever see that movie The Punisher? Bruce would have been good in that role.

Just to clarify: I do have a TV, a rather fancy one in fact, just no cable. I live off of hulu, netflix, and such.
boy in long pants