HDR and Kodak Playsport ?'s

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
flyfisheraa573

HDR and Kodak Playsport ?'s

Post by flyfisheraa573 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Pardo the interruption....but, I figured there might be some of you camera folks on here that might can answer this with relative ease.

1) Pentax Optio W80 - does it have an HDR mode, or similar mode?

2) Kodak Playsport waterproof video camera - I was looking for a decent but inexpensive option to take to the beach (as well as lakes and rivers) to record some video of my 10 mth old's first time around water and the beach, without risking damage to my nice video camera. I found one of these that shoots in 1080HD at Wally World for $100. Is it worth the investment, or will my Pentax W80 work just as well? ....also I was planning on giving it to my wife so that it might encourage her to take more pics and videos of the little one, without having the pain of the bigger video camera.

As usual, thank you for any and all usual advice!
"Sweet Jesus. I'd rather be caught hammering my jojo in the confessional." - Ajax

woolly bugger

Re: HDR and Kodak Playsport ?'s

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:18 pm

I have a playsport and don't really like it, no zoom, only wide angle shot, short battery life.

The W80 should do fine for both vidoe and stills...

you can bracket your photos on the w80 too so you can do HDR, it's just not an auto function that I know of...
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

Squiggly

Post by Squiggly » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:55 am

Not sure if it offers in camera HDR, but that's okay. I'd stay far away from performing any HDR algorithm in camera and without personal control. Bracket your shots like Wooly said and pic up a decent user friendly program like the Nik or Photomatix offerings.
~X~ "Don't just stand there, raise your gun and let the lead fly." wnm

http://www.millermoorephotography.com

Ramcatt

Post by Ramcatt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:41 pm

i'd pass on any in camera HDR settings
"Ramcatt is the origninal cuntry fishing troubadour, and the youngest dirty old man to fish these waters"
- Al Goldstein (c.1973)

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:13 am

woolly bugger wrote:I have a playsport and don't really like it, no zoom, only wide angle shot, short battery life.

you can bracket your photos on the w80 too so you can do HDR, it's just not an auto function that I know of...
I've got the playsport and it zooms fine, just not as much as some P&S cameras. There is no HDR, but there is a Neutral Density filter that you can use. Surpisingly enough the still photos also look good with decent light. I'll try to post a few samples later. I accidentally took it about 60 feet deep and it also didn't leak. :cheer
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:21 pm

NeedmoreDEET wrote:
woolly bugger wrote:I have a playsport and don't really like it, no zoom, only wide angle shot, short battery life.

I've got the playsport and it zooms fine, just not as much as some P&S cameras. There is no HDR, but there is a Neutral Density filter that you can use. Surpisingly enough the still photos also look good with decent light. I'll try to post a few samples later. I accidentally took it about 60 feet deep and it also didn't leak. :cheer

my playsport only has digital zoom, so the image quality suffers if you zoom, it does not have a true optical zoom lens...

jis say'in
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:45 pm

You are absolutely right. I usually use it at the widest settings, so never really paid attention to the zoom.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA