Olympus PL 1???

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
berzerker

Olympus PL 1???

Post by berzerker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 am

Am thinking about buying one of these next gen mirrorless dslr's.. More compact than the full fize ones, same features... any one have any opinion, innuendo, harsh comments, downrite mean shit to say???
Can get a "kit" w/ camera body, a 40 mm and 300 mm lens for around $500..
"Keep a cool head and a tight asshole" - Dad, circa 2010

"Don't get married, just find a woman you really hate and buy her a house"

Marriage is a 2nd Job with a very unreasonable boss - Troutsnot

locogringo

Re: Olympus PL 1???

Post by locogringo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Worth the money. The Panasonics have a better 16 megapixel sensor. They cost more as well. That camera does not have a viewfinder. You have to use the screen on the back. They make an add on viewfinder. Not positive it fits that camera. You might check if this is an issue.

I have been studying up on M4/3 cameras for a while. I am not familiar with a 40mm or a 300mm lens. That camera typically comes with a 14-42 kit lens, which is a pretty decent lens from most reports, for $299.00. Where did you see this camera with those lenses? Would like to look.

Also, and you may know this, the Panasonic and Olympus M4/3 cameras can use both manufacturer's lenses. Both have certain lenses that are better quality than the others. You can mix and match.

berzerker

Post by berzerker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Loco, its an instore promo at ritz camera.. its $449 not 500 like I originally said.. think i am gonna go buy it tomorrow.

locogringo

Post by locogringo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Is it this camera?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... amera.html

If so, I am curious about the lenses. I have never seen a 40 or a 300 for them. Here is a list of Olympus lenses for Micro Four Thirds cameras. Of these, the 45 mm and the 12mm are considered some of the best there are. The 9-18 is highly rated as well. As a kit lens, the 14-42 is supposed to pretty nice as well as the 12-50. Just curious what is coming with yours as there are some really nice lenses for these rigs. You could be getting a sweet deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?at ... 4291306223

upshitscreek

Post by upshitscreek » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:47 pm

just a hunch, but maybe it's the $299 40-150 zoom. it's the only olympus one that fits in that price range reasonably. a 300mm @ 35mm equivalent. maybe there is some confusion at ritz. anyway, the only olympus fixed 300mm 4/3 i know of is about $7K.

or it's some super,super cheap off brand stuff if they are actually two fixed lenses. something to pay attention to tomorrow unless this deal is taking place behind the ritz camera store.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... _Lens.html

berzerker

Post by berzerker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:56 pm

no its some kinda promo kit offer, it comes w/ the 14-42 lens and a 40 something to 300 lens, both olympus lenses. and yeah thats the camera.. the bigger lens retails for like 299, but they offer it at a discounted price in the "kit" configuration.

upshitscreek

Post by upshitscreek » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 pm

berzerker wrote: a 40 mm and 300 mm lens
berzerker wrote: a 40 something to 300 lens
big difference, dude. :cool good luck with it.

locogringo

Post by locogringo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Yes, there is a huge difference in those two statements.

Pretty sure it is the 40-150. They have it on sale for $250 with an additional $100 instant rebate right now for a final price of $150. Add that to your $299 and you get your $449.

Nice compact rig. You may not get the IQ you would out of high end DSLR cameras, but I don't think you are expecting that. I have seen some pics with the Oly 45mm and Oly 12mm M4/3 lens that are pretty impressive. The Panasonic 25mm is considered top end as well.

berzerker

Post by berzerker » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:06 pm

i got it.. now just hafta figure the damn thing out!
IMAG0302.jpg
IMAG0302.jpg (304.15 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
i think I figured out where my camera deficient brain got the errant 300 number from...
IMAG0303.jpg
IMAG0303.jpg (264 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

upshitscreek

Post by upshitscreek » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:02 pm

looks great. have fun with it, no doubt. :cool

fatman

Post by fatman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:16 pm

so, this thread is the first time I've heard of this "type" of camera. What can you tell me about the various "pancake lenses" available. I don't know enough about the jargon to know what I'm reading on the innerwebs. Are these necessarily "limiting" to a certain type (range) of pitcher takin'?

I currently have a waterproof P&S that takes pretty fair pics...and more importantly, it fits into a shirt pocket, so I take it with me and actually use it often.

In reading about these picture-taking devices, it appears that the major attraction over a standard DSLR is a smaller size. However, the standard SLR lenses that make them superior instruments takes them out of the "pocket" realm - while a pancake
lens puts them back into that possibility...

Are there "general purpose" pancake lenses? And if so, would I see an improvement in the quality of my photos by merely spending the jack on one of these cameras?

Another concern is that they do not appear to be water-proof/resistant?
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

upshitscreek

Post by upshitscreek » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:44 pm

fatman wrote:s
Another concern is that they do not appear to be water-proof/resistant?
fatman, there is nothing out there that's waterproof,digital and with interchangeable lenses right now. if that helps, at all.