Olympus TG-1

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
Hogleg

Olympus TG-1

Post by Hogleg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 pm

I know there are a couple of dudes on here, myself included, who've been pretty happy with the new Olympus TG-1 ihs waterproof P&S camera. I had several folks pm me asking what camera I used for the pics in my AK thread (The Time is Nigh), so I thought I'd pimp it down here for those in the market.

It's fucking pricey at $400 and, as with any waterproof P&S, has some tradeoffs but I think it's worth the money and you'd be hard-pressed to find a better "tough" fishing camera.

I'm a straight up amatuer photog but here is my $.02 worth review.

The good:
-Relatively fast start up and pic-to-pic shooting
-Good battery life (if you keep the GPS turned off)
-Killer macro (3 macro settings)
-Outstanding in low light conditions
-Great wide angle
-Pretty intuitive to use with lots of cool "auto" settings and easy manual adjustments
-Excellent image stabilization (even when jrunk)
-Fucking bullet proof
-Great pic quality
-Very good viewing screen in all light conditions

The not-so-good:
-Zoom is slow and only 4X (however, an attachable telephoto lens is available but currently on back-order so no report on that yet)
-Lens is centered and has no cover so it's easy to get a finger in the shot or a smudge on the lens if you're not careful
-Kind of big and heavy for a P&S but still fits in a pocket easily (neglible really, considering the overall performance)
-Battery has to be charged in-camera with a proprietary cable
-Video is decent- above average but nothing special, but when zooming in/out while filiming it records an annoying mechanical sound on the audio

Overall I'd give it 4.5/5 for the type of camera it purports to be. Give this one a look if you're shopping for a tough, waterproof P&S.
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

Tailer

Re: Olympus TG-1

Post by Tailer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:13 am

Olympus has always had an excellent jpeg engine (though they reserve it for their high end cameras). Add to that a fast (for a waterproof compact) lens and you get a pretty damn good compact. If they ever see fit to build the XZ-1/2 in a waterproof body, I'll be on it like white on rice.

T
if you break into my car, I'll go knock a granny on the head - 2Fish

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:43 pm

Thanks for that review Hog. I've been looking at upgrading my Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 and the tg-1 looks pretty good. My current one takes decent pics but the battery longevity and the video quality pretty much suck. Do you have any pics/samples you can post?

Tailer

Post by Tailer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:36 am

Horn, check out his six or seven part Alaska TR from a few weeks ago. I think it's called Time Is Now or something like that. Bunch of shots in that plus some video I think.

T
if you break into my car, I'll go knock a granny on the head - 2Fish

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Tailer wrote:Horn, check out his six or seven part Alaska TR from a few weeks ago. I think it's called Time Is Now or something like that. Bunch of shots in that plus some video I think.

T
Holy Shit Hog! That was fucking epic. Great work with everything and the photos are fantastic. :cool

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Horn_Identity wrote:
Tailer wrote:Horn, check out his six or seven part Alaska TR from a few weeks ago. I think it's called Time Is Now or something like that. Bunch of shots in that plus some video I think.

T
Holy Shit Hog! That was fucking epic. Great work with everything and the photos are fantastic. :cool
Thanks Horn.

I'm a hack at photog and the light was low pretty much the whole time on that trip so that should speak volumes to this camera. It replaced an Olympus Stylus 850 SW which was an earlier gen "tough" camera that I'd been pretty happy with. The TG1 blows it away.
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:43 am

Hogleg wrote:
Horn_Identity wrote:

T
Thanks Horn.

I'm a hack at photog and the light was low pretty much the whole time on that trip so that should speak volumes to this camera. It replaced an Olympus Stylus 850 SW which was an earlier gen "tough" camera that I'd been pretty happy with. The TG1 blows it away.
Hog, that's by far one of the best TR I've seen around here. Really good stuff. The photos like I said were fantastic despite the low light condition. That Oly TG-1 will be mine. Really glad for your review of this particular camera, perfect for the stuff that we do.

:cool

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:23 pm

It's got magic modes also!
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:54 am

/\ Yup, that is magical. Thanks WC. I'm sold.

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:56 am

Ditto, got one on the way.
some people like Rocky Mountain Oysters... the rest wonder why they are eating balls. - Woolybug

#SavetheDace20XX

WanderingBlues

Post by WanderingBlues » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:41 pm

I've enjoyed mine but........ The little plastic ring that goes around the lens (you remove it to attach the fisheye or tele) has cracked, and I have a fucking dust spot or other in the internals of the lens. Not real noticeable at wide range, but if I zoom in at all, it shows badly. Still trying to figure out how a sealed camera can have this happen.

Still, pic quality is top notch, the scene modes are fun, and it handles conditions like a champ.
A Street Preacher asked me where I wanted to spend Eternity? I said "Fly Fishing." He smiled.

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:10 pm

I am still enjoying the magic modes....

[report]Image[/report]
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo