Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
By Hogleg
I know there are a couple of dudes on here, myself included, who've been pretty happy with the new Olympus TG-1 ihs waterproof P&S camera. I had several folks pm me asking what camera I used for the pics in my AK thread (The Time is Nigh), so I thought I'd pimp it down here for those in the market.

It's fucking pricey at $400 and, as with any waterproof P&S, has some tradeoffs but I think it's worth the money and you'd be hard-pressed to find a better "tough" fishing camera.

I'm a straight up amatuer photog but here is my $.02 worth review.

The good:
-Relatively fast start up and pic-to-pic shooting
-Good battery life (if you keep the GPS turned off)
-Killer macro (3 macro settings)
-Outstanding in low light conditions
-Great wide angle
-Pretty intuitive to use with lots of cool "auto" settings and easy manual adjustments
-Excellent image stabilization (even when jrunk)
-Fucking bullet proof
-Great pic quality
-Very good viewing screen in all light conditions

The not-so-good:
-Zoom is slow and only 4X (however, an attachable telephoto lens is available but currently on back-order so no report on that yet)
-Lens is centered and has no cover so it's easy to get a finger in the shot or a smudge on the lens if you're not careful
-Kind of big and heavy for a P&S but still fits in a pocket easily (neglible really, considering the overall performance)
-Battery has to be charged in-camera with a proprietary cable
-Video is decent- above average but nothing special, but when zooming in/out while filiming it records an annoying mechanical sound on the audio

Overall I'd give it 4.5/5 for the type of camera it purports to be. Give this one a look if you're shopping for a tough, waterproof P&S.
By Tailer
Olympus has always had an excellent jpeg engine (though they reserve it for their high end cameras). Add to that a fast (for a waterproof compact) lens and you get a pretty damn good compact. If they ever see fit to build the XZ-1/2 in a waterproof body, I'll be on it like white on rice.

T
By Horn_Identity
Thanks for that review Hog. I've been looking at upgrading my Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 and the tg-1 looks pretty good. My current one takes decent pics but the battery longevity and the video quality pretty much suck. Do you have any pics/samples you can post?
By Tailer
Horn, check out his six or seven part Alaska TR from a few weeks ago. I think it's called Time Is Now or something like that. Bunch of shots in that plus some video I think.

T
By Horn_Identity
Tailer wrote:Horn, check out his six or seven part Alaska TR from a few weeks ago. I think it's called Time Is Now or something like that. Bunch of shots in that plus some video I think.

T
Holy Shit Hog! That was fucking epic. Great work with everything and the photos are fantastic. :cool
By Hogleg
Horn_Identity wrote:
Tailer wrote:Horn, check out his six or seven part Alaska TR from a few weeks ago. I think it's called Time Is Now or something like that. Bunch of shots in that plus some video I think.

T
Holy Shit Hog! That was fucking epic. Great work with everything and the photos are fantastic. :cool
Thanks Horn.

I'm a hack at photog and the light was low pretty much the whole time on that trip so that should speak volumes to this camera. It replaced an Olympus Stylus 850 SW which was an earlier gen "tough" camera that I'd been pretty happy with. The TG1 blows it away.
By Horn_Identity
Hogleg wrote:
Horn_Identity wrote:

T
Thanks Horn.

I'm a hack at photog and the light was low pretty much the whole time on that trip so that should speak volumes to this camera. It replaced an Olympus Stylus 850 SW which was an earlier gen "tough" camera that I'd been pretty happy with. The TG1 blows it away.
Hog, that's by far one of the best TR I've seen around here. Really good stuff. The photos like I said were fantastic despite the low light condition. That Oly TG-1 will be mine. Really glad for your review of this particular camera, perfect for the stuff that we do.

:cool
By West Chester

It's got magic modes also!
By foureyedgeek
Ditto, got one on the way.
By WanderingBlues
I've enjoyed mine but........ The little plastic ring that goes around the lens (you remove it to attach the fisheye or tele) has cracked, and I have a fucking dust spot or other in the internals of the lens. Not real noticeable at wide range, but if I zoom in at all, it shows badly. Still trying to figure out how a sealed camera can have this happen.

Still, pic quality is top notch, the scene modes are fun, and it handles conditions like a champ.
By West Chester
I am still enjoying the magic modes....

[report]Image[/report]
A Confession

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc

The return of Stolen Hours

1-22-2020 - 2 Between five or six doctors&rsq[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Hare’s Ear Hedgehog https://live.stati[…]

Fu@#&^# Drake

the photofuckit assholes are holding my shit hosta[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine