Linux Photo Editing

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
Terd Ferguson

Linux Photo Editing

Post by Terd Ferguson » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:38 pm

Anyone edit photos using Linux? I have a canon rebel and I am wanting to edit raw images. I have used photivo some, however I am not able to produce sharp photos. Any ideas? Any tips on generic raw editing? I have worked through a few tutorials, but I am not able to achieve the results I am looking for. My pictures look better in jpg than raw. WTF?

For your troubles

"Save a smallmouth, eat juvenile swordfish"

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Re: Linux Photo Editing

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:31 am

Gimp is free, or at least used to be.

Its not PS, but it aint bad at all.

http://www.gimp.org/

Terd Ferguson

Post by Terd Ferguson » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:45 am

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:Gimp is free, or at least used to be.

I am a big gimp fan. I use it to do all of my cropping and PS style adjustments, however how does it perform with sharpening, colors, and shadows?

slapshot

Post by slapshot » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Terd Ferguson wrote:
Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:Gimp is free, or at least used to be.

I am a big gimp fan. I use it to do all of my cropping and PS style adjustments, however how does it perform with sharpening, colors, and shadows?
Raw Therapee looks fairly decent http://rawtherapee.com/blog/screenshots

Have you ever thought about running Wine and using Lightroom?
I usually drop em in the grass and then fish out another cast or two while I wait for them to get tired enough to hold still - that way you can actually tell how long they are against the rod. - JT

Tailer

Post by Tailer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Remember that Canon's jpg engine tends to sharpen heavily, so when you're working from RAW you'll want to modestly sharpen in conversion and then apply output sharpening once you've converted and you've resized to your final image size. I usually use Smart Sharpen/Lens Blur in PS and mask it in where I want it.
if you break into my car, I'll go knock a granny on the head - 2Fish

Mattb

Post by Mattb » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Tailer wrote:Remember that Canon's jpg engine tends to sharpen heavily, so when you're working from RAW you'll want to modestly sharpen in conversion and then apply output sharpening once you've converted and you've resized to your final image size.
I'm a Nikon guy, so I'm coming at this from a different perspective, but the gist of it is the same - the JPG processing engine in the camera mucks with the image quite a bit before dumping to file. Once you figure out what it's doing you'll be able to duplicate it whenever you want.

As for Linux - Gimp is probably the best of a lackluster field. I dual-boot so I can use lightroom - using gimp for any serious image processing is kind of like Tenkara: sure, you can, but why on earth would you want to?
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.”
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Terd Ferguson

Post by Terd Ferguson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 pm

I'll keep at it. Sounds like I just need to toy around with the settings more to determine the optimum. Thanks for the help guys

dragancje

Post by dragancje » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:01 pm