The dirt on gold!

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
Articulated Trico

The dirt on gold!

Post by Articulated Trico » Wed May 28, 2008 2:25 pm

Did not wanna hijack Nemo's "Red Gold" post on the "general board." This is broad stroke and total assumption on my part pertaining to what the film is even about! But anything related to "gold" and the environment is like gas and a flame as far as I am concerned. Anyway, I couple of pics that had an impact on me from a recent trip to Cajamarca, Peru. The first pic of a building near the city center of Cajamarca. In this building Altahualpa raised his hand which is measured in a red line. He promised to fill this room with gold and silver up to the line in exchange for his peoples freedom. Altahualpa an Incan leader who's personal character encompassed the entire concept of virtu. Upon delivery of the gold and silver Altahualpa was imprisoned and placed in the city center to be mocked by the Spaniards. Within a few monthes the Spaniards would kill him publicly and the rest is the typical Colonial past into the present.Image ImageImageImageThey would build a two churches, one for Spaniards and the other for Incan's. Both churches practiced Catholism. After hundreds of years pretty much chewing up and spitting out the the surrounding topograhy. Today, the second largerst gold mine is maybe 60 miles oustside of town and owned by Newmont. Well the ownership is broken down 51% Newmont, 5% World Bank, 44% Yanachoca (basically a subsidary of Newmont). The gold and any other metals are extracted by using cyanide to disolve the rock from metal. This same conglomerate wanted to open up shop right outside of Esquel, Argentina a few years ago. The entire community of Esquel was pretty much were ready to go to war with Newmont!
A lighter note a few other pics
Last edited by Articulated Trico on Wed May 28, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"them books is wrong"

"The universe shaped exactly like the earth if you go straight long enough you will end up where you were"

"Opinions were like kittens always giving them away"

NarrowsMinded

Re: The ditrt on gold!

Post by NarrowsMinded » Wed May 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Nice, I always wanted to check out Machu Picchu. I hear the hike there is the best part. I love South America. Never had the chance to check out Peru. Will definitely be going there soon. Thanks for the pictorial.

Salmotrutta

Re: The dirt on gold!

Post by Salmotrutta » Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks for those pics.! They are pretty sweet.
The Spaniards killed them all anyway. Bastards.
Lyrical

jerome

Post by jerome » Fri May 30, 2008 2:18 pm

very nice...
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

highstream

Post by highstream » Fri May 30, 2008 3:17 pm

bump for nice pics
"I suppose you're swilling 400 proof White lightning and smoking hand rolled poison ivy leaves while you fish? tough guy. I was smoking Marlboro Reds back when you were still shitting in your carseat."--Lenny

Squiggly

Post by Squiggly » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:00 pm

Bump

Nice post
~X~ "Don't just stand there, raise your gun and let the lead fly." wnm

http://www.millermoorephotography.com

Yard Sale

Post by Yard Sale » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:12 am

Bump
[quote="locogringo"]I used to wear those Skagit shorts but they were too loose and sometimes would expose my d loop and my perry poke would fall out.[/]

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:20 pm

Satellite of Love