Taking macro shots

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
E. Subvaria

Re: Taking macro shots

Post by E. Subvaria » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:03 pm

My pentax dslr has a floating sensor, no need for a tripod to get the shakes out.

I don't get why nikon and canon charge the hell out of you to pay for the name on the body, don't give you anti shake in the body, then charge the hell out of you for an anti shake lens. Lame ass in my book.

BUt if you've got the ching to spend no worries.
master of science in angling dimensions

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:17 pm

this guy has got it figured out...

The Show and Tell

I'm always conflicted on carrying photo gear and taking pictures vs. fishing and carrying the pocket p&s Olympus. I've lugged the D-100 and taken some good shots with it, but I'm still concentrating on the fishing not the photography. And as far as publishing on the web it's impossible to tell the difference (after photoshop) between the 1030sw and the D-100. To do it right, I would take the Nikon with a tripod and leave the rod at home and just shoot my friends fishing... nah, it'll never happen.

I use the low-pro slingshot case to carry the DSLR under my vest and I can swing it around in front to get access to the camera, and then swing it around on my back where it's fairly safe.
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:04 pm

in response to e sub- i don't have or use the vr stuff and with a cam that is worth about $400 and a lens about the same nikon is no big investment. good glass = good photos if proper technique is used. that's why i like nikon; killer, cheap glass available everywhere.

you can take pics and fish you just have to think about both things all the time. :bomb

troutphisher

Post by troutphisher » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:49 pm

Nympho,

I don't know what type camera you want to purchase, but if your looking for something cheap "under $300" then it's more likely going to be a quick shoot digital camera. Then one I use is the pentax optio W30. I use this camera for the water proof feature, but the macro feature isn't bad. The only draw back is the focus in the macro mode. It doesn't auto focus quickly, and sometimes it brackets in the wrong viewing area. This is not a problem with still images, but it's a hassle when trying to photograph insects on the move, or when you need a quick focus feature.

I have another camera, that is in the $200 dollar range, but doesn't have the water proof feature. It's Panasonic Lumix LZ3. This camera has a very good macro option, with a very quick auto focus. It's faster than the pentax.

This is a picture I took in the macro mode using the pentax optio.
It's a sulphur caught in a spider web, note the sulphur is not in the center of the focus, but instead the camera focused on the left side of the web, near the sulphur. It's one of the draw backs to the pentax optio.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Heckler

Post by Heckler » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:07 pm

The optio is a SWEET macro P&S Cam. Here is a stone and a female trico i took a while back. Practice mang! You can get as close as .5" away from the subject. Just sayin'
Attachments
bluwin10.jpg
bluwin10.jpg (72.53 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
stonef10.jpg
stonef10.jpg (66.71 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
Last edited by Heckler on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"America.....The thrusting pelvis of Death"

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:39 am

nice heck, but you got one problem, i think your olive is a female trico or some empherella- three tails.

Heckler

Post by Heckler » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:26 pm

upon further inspection...GS is correct it is a female trico. My bad. Good looks GS.
"America.....The thrusting pelvis of Death"

nympho

Post by nympho » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Keep moving, nothing to see here.

Test.....Test

Just wanted to see how these held up when transferred from camera through the interwebs

"Fucksakes. Nemo- tell the green ween to leave those tits up for a spell"...Salmotrutta

Ramcatt

Post by Ramcatt » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:35 pm

nympho wrote:Keep moving, nothing to see here.

you really should see a doctor for that...
"Ramcatt is the origninal cuntry fishing troubadour, and the youngest dirty old man to fish these waters"
- Al Goldstein (c.1973)

Outcast

Post by Outcast » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:31 am

bump
Outcast's initial response to you is just the sort of mean, immediate, unnecessary, gatekeeper-bullshit newbie-bashing that I've come to hate on my own board. But then, somehow, miraculously, in only six posts, you managed to earn it. -nemo

"Around here service is not just another six letter word." -Gaper's Pimp

Outcast

Post by Outcast » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:18 am

bump
Outcast's initial response to you is just the sort of mean, immediate, unnecessary, gatekeeper-bullshit newbie-bashing that I've come to hate on my own board. But then, somehow, miraculously, in only six posts, you managed to earn it. -nemo

"Around here service is not just another six letter word." -Gaper's Pimp

jdub

Post by jdub » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:21 pm

Ginseng Sullivan wrote:

nikon d70 nikkor 105 micro lens f16 1/500th on board flash set to -1 full frame (not cropped) #24 trico on the water (maybe 3/16" body lenght).
Realizing this thread is three years old....did you pick the 105 over the shorter lenses for any specific reason?

For about 1/2 the price you can get either the DX 85mm VR or the FX 60mm...the 60mm is a 2.8 but no VR while the DX is a 3.5.

I don't see ever getting out the DX format but I'd like a lens to get those up close and personal kind of shots. Currently run a D90. Too bad I can't grab all three and take them to the river for a test run.
"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown

http://utahstreamaccess.org/