Taking macro shots

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
Ginseng Sullivan

Re: Taking macro shots

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:05 pm

the biggest difference between the length is the distance from the subject to achieve 1:1 reproduction. the longer the lens the longer the distance. it helps for shy bugs and for using the on board flash which is sometimes blocked by the 60mm with the sub only 7\" away.

that being said i would buy another old style 105 in a second if anything ever happened to the one i have. best lens ever for insects and fish shots.

uncropped

just something about photos taken with that lens...

jdub

Post by jdub » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:15 am

Ginseng Sullivan wrote:the biggest difference between the length is the distance from the subject to achieve 1:1 reproduction. the longer the lens the longer the distance. it helps for shy bugs and for using the on board flash which is sometimes blocked by the 60mm with the sub only 7\" away.

that being said i would buy another old style 105 in a second if anything ever happened to the one i have. best lens ever for insects and fish shots.
Well I sprung for the 85mm which, when demoing the two, I liked more than the f2 60mm. Other than taking shots of the innards of a toilet I haven't done much with it yet: I'll post when I have something useful.

btw, taking shots of the workings of a malfunctioning, vintage toilet and taking them on your Ipad to the local parts dealer works damn fine for figuring out what you need (and don't need) to fix the damn thing.
"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown

http://utahstreamaccess.org/

locogringo

Post by locogringo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:13 am

jdub wrote:
Ginseng Sullivan wrote:the biggest difference between the length is the distance from the subject to achieve 1:1 reproduction. the longer the lens the longer the distance. it helps for shy bugs and for using the on board flash which is sometimes blocked by the 60mm with the sub only 7\" away.

Well I sprung for the 85mm which, when demoing the two, I liked more than the f2 60mm. Other than taking shots of the innards of a toilet I haven't done much with it yet: I'll post when I have something useful.

btw, taking shots of the workings of a malfunctioning, vintage toilet and taking them on your Ipad to the local parts dealer works damn fine for figuring out what you need (and don't need) to fix the damn thing.
Vintage toilet? I have on from 1940. Yours more vintage than that? Maybe we should start a vintage toilet thread w/ pics. I pet that 85 is plenty sharp,

GS. That lens is damn nice.