kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
By root wad
Articulated Trico wrote:root wad nice stuff! do you live in or around the O pen? Is that what you use for winter's?
Thanks and that would be an affirmative. I enjoy tying that stuff and enjoy fishing it when the water clarity allows for using a fly of that size. It happens at times but I am not above chunking the big nasties if things are too colored. At times its kinda fun to throw something like this.
Attachments:
sh.jpg
sh.jpg (189.71 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
By P-A
Awsome tie RW!!
:Roll Eyes :bow
By Articulated Trico
A whole lot of hope here!
By Articulated Trico
C'mon Charlie my flies are for catching dinner, yours get your dinner bought!
By root wad
Great lookin' tubulars there, especially the bright one. Ever mess with any of the old millinery materials?
By Articulated Trico
I try to mix it up in the bedroom, but still hit it missionary! Is this what you meant root wad?
By NeedmoreDEET
First real try at realistics - slight improvement over one I did a few years ago. Body is the dreaded painted foam, legs are porcupine quils and Maxima mono.
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG (117.98 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Not perfect, but enough to scare the wife :cheer
By P-A
The legs are wicked DEET!! If you want a more realistic approach to the
body cover the foam parts with rafia and put on a thin laquer or fluid
rubber material (softskin).
:cool
By SLSS
One of my then high school aged daughter's darker moments was sitting in the car, hoping to not be recognized- even though we were in a different state, while her dad wacked at a rod-kill porcupine with a towel.

I got back in the car, she says- What do you want those for?

Me- Never can tell.
Her- Probably fishing. :smile

Cool spider Deet.
By NeedmoreDEET
Thanks guys. I've got another set of legs that has an ostritch plume palmered at each leg joint - truly wicked looking. I just haven't had the motivation to create a body yet.

P-A - I'm working on alternate body materials, foam does seem to be cheating on these style of flies.

SLSS - I really think fly tying warps some segment of the brain. I'm always looking at dead stuff in the same manner - "Boy that would make a cool ____ on a fly"
Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Muddled Loch Ordie Mayfly (variant) https://[…]

It reminds me of the time Kyner and Heero went[…]

Winter steelhead fly swap 2019

mine went to post last Thurs. sounds like G is ha[…]

A Drakian's dog, no doubt. But I'd do it again.j[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine