whatcha tying?

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
Outcast

Re: whatcha tying?

Post by Outcast » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:59 pm

OVERcast tied the Seaducer. I can't be takin' credit for someone else's work.

The sculpin you posted looks like a fush gettin' sumbitch. Did you say the strip was seal? Looks like some I tied up with muskrat. I'll see if I can find a pitcher.
Outcast's initial response to you is just the sort of mean, immediate, unnecessary, gatekeeper-bullshit newbie-bashing that I've come to hate on my own board. But then, somehow, miraculously, in only six posts, you managed to earn it. -nemo

"Around here service is not just another six letter word." -Gaper's Pimp

Salmotrutta

Post by Salmotrutta » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Dude- I digg that peeker. Well done. I'm gonna try some. :cool
Lyrical

P-A

Post by P-A » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:47 am

Outcast wrote:OVERcast tied the Seaducer. I can't be takin' credit for someone else's work.

The sculpin you posted looks like a fush gettin' sumbitch. Did you say the strip was seal? Looks like some I tied up with muskrat. I'll see if I can find a pitcher.
Sorry my bad, but then he has made a great fly and your caddis wasnt half bad either. :Roll Eyes
The zonker strip is kangaroo actually, the body is sealfur, pecfins are patridge, muddler head is elk hair.
Its a big sucker, maybe 4 inches or so. The sculpins in out nordic waters are rather large.
:cool
http://500px.com/P-ANilsson

That look total awesome in my eyes "Bruiser"

What made that hole in the middle of the pie?
Be honest, now... "Bob White"

yinzer - you know I'm a cop.
Kyle - I don't give a fuck.
yinzer - No, really, I'm a cop.
Kyle - No, really, I don't give a fuck. "KYLE"

Sagittarius62

Post by Sagittarius62 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:24 am

Overcast wrote:Laugh away, it looks like a car wreck or something that my 4-H group wrapped up, but this case caddis pattern is very effective.

Tippett: 3X with over hand Knot [optinal] for attaching split shot, and yes I thought the same thing......... really. The trout just don't give a fuck.
The Mono lead hanger is a new one for me. Is the purpose to hold it worm head up, or flip it hook point up?
RIP Ryan. You will be missed.

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:56 pm

HONEY DUN
Attachments
Honey Dun.JPG
Honey Dun.JPG (68.44 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

Outcast

Post by Outcast » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Sweet fly Outcast! :cool
Outcast's initial response to you is just the sort of mean, immediate, unnecessary, gatekeeper-bullshit newbie-bashing that I've come to hate on my own board. But then, somehow, miraculously, in only six posts, you managed to earn it. -nemo

"Around here service is not just another six letter word." -Gaper's Pimp

Willi

Post by Willi » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:01 am

[report]The result of some compulsive tying for an upcoming trip to Eleuthera. Some of the flies are "old"but most were tied for this trip.

Willi[/report]

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Sagittarius62 wrote:
Overcast wrote:Laugh away, it looks like a car wreck or something that my 4-H group wrapped up, but this case caddis pattern is very effective.

Tippett: 3X with over hand Knot [optinal] for attaching split shot, and yes I thought the same thing......... really. The trout just don't give a fuck.
The Mono lead hanger is a new one for me. Is the purpose to hold it worm head up, or flip it hook point up?

I believe to hold the head of the caddis upright, with the concept of the caddis poking it's head from the case and the mallard flank to mimic the legs extracting from its case. I found the pattern in a book at Barnes & Noble, when looking for new patterns to tie probably in 1997. Wish I would have purchased the book. The author was very innovative in pattern design and fish ability the thing works incredibly well. I'm not a entomologist guru, but I know the basics for identifying most aquatic insects. The fly was designed for exactly what you mentioned in your response and proved to be an excellent fly. Speaking in generalities I usually fished the caddis in riffle to run and banging it off the bottom and in many cases I walked away thinking I had hooked every fish in the run. If you choose to tie a few make certain you use the brightest green you can find. I'll grab the dubbing and post up a picture later. Watch for the [edit].

Overcast not Out.
Attachments
Picture 026.jpg
Picture 026.jpg (73.38 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
Last edited by Overcast on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:53 am

Overcast wrote:
Sagittarius62 wrote:

I believe to hold the head of the caddis upright, with the concept of the caddis poking it's head from the case and the mallard flank to mimic the legs extracting from its case. I found the pattern in a book at Barnes & Noble, when looking for new patterns to tie probably in 1997. Wish I would have purchased the book. The author was very innovative in pattern design and fish ability the thing works incredibly well. I'm not a entomologist guru, but I know the basics for identifying most aquatic insects. The fly was designed for exactly what you mentioned in your response and proved to be an excellent fly. Speaking in generalities I usually fished the caddis in riffle to run and banging it off the bottom and in many cases I walked away thinking I had hooked every fish in the run. If you choose to tie a few make certain you use the brightest green you can find. I'll grab the dubbing and post up a picture later. Watch for the [edit].

Overcast not Out.
I got a buddy that turned me on to this fly and its the shit. Stick a lil puddy on the tag and this little bitch bounces all over the bottom. At the tail end, or right before a serious caddis hatch.... fugetiboutit....
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

www.hiptothesip.blogspot.com

n8

Post by n8 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:18 pm

i had no idea bone flies were so small...
"Can't see the line can you Russ."

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:59 am

Great Lakes basic steelbow ties, nothing fancy. Going to Ohio soon.
First intruder attempts

A few zonkers

And marabou

"The devil's pourin drinks and his daughter needs a ride" - III

tom

Post by tom » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:46 am

peacock bugmeister:

foam post parachute:

cdc caddis emerger:
I'm so old I remember when women had ear rings and men had tattoos~Lefty Kreh