kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
By Outcast
OVERcast tied the Seaducer. I can't be takin' credit for someone else's work.

The sculpin you posted looks like a fush gettin' sumbitch. Did you say the strip was seal? Looks like some I tied up with muskrat. I'll see if I can find a pitcher.
By P-A
Outcast wrote:OVERcast tied the Seaducer. I can't be takin' credit for someone else's work.

The sculpin you posted looks like a fush gettin' sumbitch. Did you say the strip was seal? Looks like some I tied up with muskrat. I'll see if I can find a pitcher.
Sorry my bad, but then he has made a great fly and your caddis wasnt half bad either. :Roll Eyes
The zonker strip is kangaroo actually, the body is sealfur, pecfins are patridge, muddler head is elk hair.
Its a big sucker, maybe 4 inches or so. The sculpins in out nordic waters are rather large.
:cool
By Sagittarius62
Overcast wrote:Laugh away, it looks like a car wreck or something that my 4-H group wrapped up, but this case caddis pattern is very effective.

Tippett: 3X with over hand Knot [optinal] for attaching split shot, and yes I thought the same thing......... really. The trout just don't give a fuck.
The Mono lead hanger is a new one for me. Is the purpose to hold it worm head up, or flip it hook point up?
By Overcast
HONEY DUN
Attachments:
Honey Dun.JPG
Honey Dun.JPG (68.44 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
By Outcast
Sweet fly Outcast! :cool
By Willi
[report]The result of some compulsive tying for an upcoming trip to Eleuthera. Some of the flies are "old"but most were tied for this trip.

Willi[/report]
By Overcast
Sagittarius62 wrote:
Overcast wrote:Laugh away, it looks like a car wreck or something that my 4-H group wrapped up, but this case caddis pattern is very effective.

Tippett: 3X with over hand Knot [optinal] for attaching split shot, and yes I thought the same thing......... really. The trout just don't give a fuck.
The Mono lead hanger is a new one for me. Is the purpose to hold it worm head up, or flip it hook point up?

I believe to hold the head of the caddis upright, with the concept of the caddis poking it's head from the case and the mallard flank to mimic the legs extracting from its case. I found the pattern in a book at Barnes & Noble, when looking for new patterns to tie probably in 1997. Wish I would have purchased the book. The author was very innovative in pattern design and fish ability the thing works incredibly well. I'm not a entomologist guru, but I know the basics for identifying most aquatic insects. The fly was designed for exactly what you mentioned in your response and proved to be an excellent fly. Speaking in generalities I usually fished the caddis in riffle to run and banging it off the bottom and in many cases I walked away thinking I had hooked every fish in the run. If you choose to tie a few make certain you use the brightest green you can find. I'll grab the dubbing and post up a picture later. Watch for the [edit].

Overcast not Out.
Attachments:
Picture 026.jpg
Picture 026.jpg (73.38 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
Last edited by Overcast on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Woolybug25
Overcast wrote:
Sagittarius62 wrote:

I believe to hold the head of the caddis upright, with the concept of the caddis poking it's head from the case and the mallard flank to mimic the legs extracting from its case. I found the pattern in a book at Barnes & Noble, when looking for new patterns to tie probably in 1997. Wish I would have purchased the book. The author was very innovative in pattern design and fish ability the thing works incredibly well. I'm not a entomologist guru, but I know the basics for identifying most aquatic insects. The fly was designed for exactly what you mentioned in your response and proved to be an excellent fly. Speaking in generalities I usually fished the caddis in riffle to run and banging it off the bottom and in many cases I walked away thinking I had hooked every fish in the run. If you choose to tie a few make certain you use the brightest green you can find. I'll grab the dubbing and post up a picture later. Watch for the [edit].

Overcast not Out.
I got a buddy that turned me on to this fly and its the shit. Stick a lil puddy on the tag and this little bitch bounces all over the bottom. At the tail end, or right before a serious caddis hatch.... fugetiboutit....
By n8
i had no idea bone flies were so small...
By D-nymph
Great Lakes basic steelbow ties, nothing fancy. Going to Ohio soon.
First intruder attempts

A few zonkers

And marabou

By tom
peacock bugmeister:

foam post parachute:

cdc caddis emerger:
unlimited dead sh*t for Kyner thread

"I've no idea where it came from." hee […]

I never got to see the punting video. youse guys […]

I'm nearly identical to charles bronson. no, mate[…]

Pour a sip