Sponge Bob Square Head - Musky(predator) Popper

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
AftonAngler

Sponge Bob Square Head - Musky(predator) Popper

Post by AftonAngler » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:20 am

Sponge Bob Square Head

Brad Bohen
Fly Tier
http://www.MuskyCountryOutfitters.com

This pattern made it's debut in Musky Country in 2009. Early in the season I had a couple of clients up from Thorne Brothers/The Fly Angler out of Fridley, MN. They brought along a big squared headed closed cell foam popper that I got a big kick out of.

The square head was very effective. I was suprised at how well it popped. That fly was a bit over-the-top size-wise and was a bear to cast...but it got me fired up for topwater! They left the monstrosity with me and I started playing around with it and then incorporated the square head into some fly designs...

Basically I ended up marrying the square head to a Hang Time streamer. The results are a top water pattern that is easy to tie, casts very well and really calls up the fish...plus it is SUPER durable! Another bonus is it takes a lot of fish "just sittin' there"...something I think all good topwaters should do. The Hang Time form behing the square head looks and acts alive being still.

Don't just take my word for it - try one for yerself this season!

Materials

Glue: Clear Cure Goo (thick) and Gorilla Super Glue

Hook: Daiichi 2461 (6/0)

Thread: Danville 210 Denier Waxed Flymaster Plus

Tail: Bucktail – long and slender, topped with flashabou (20 strands), flanked by two long barred saddle feathers

Body: Hair, Flash, Feather applications – reverse tied bucktail, flashabou or crystal flash reverse tied, pair of long barred saddle feathers and spey wrapped blood marabou. This hair, flash, feather routine repeated until hook shank is filled.

Collar: Spey wrapped blood marabou feather.

Head: Square Cut - Closed Cell Foam

Optics: WTP decorator tape eyes (1/4" OR 5/16") - made 3-D with CCG

Tying instructions

Prepare the head and eyes prior to starting the fly tying.

Using Clear Cure Goo (thick formula) and some WTP decorator tape eyes - make up a batch of 3-D Optics.

Just apply a bead of CCG to the surface of each eye (make certain they are clean - no oil or grease)...

Zap em for 5 seconds with the UV light...

Coat each 3-D eye with Sally Hansens and you are good to go for eyebalz Amigos!

Now onto the square foam heads...
I like these 4" wall scraper blades...

Held with a Vise-Grips locking pliers...

To custom-cut my foam heads! O.K., so 'square' is a relative term...more like Trapazoid...but Sponge Bob Trapazoid Head just does not have the same ring to it!

Run a small nail through to provide an easy entrance hole for the hook later...

Then asmall dab of Groilla Super Glue to set each 3-D optic...

And your head is done!

Now tie the fly. I'd suggest brushing up on a few Hang Times to nail down the reverse-tying of the bucktail and the Hair, Feather, Flash sequence. But for those of you who just jump right in...

Prepare a level, solid base of thread covering hook shank behind hook eye rearward to position even with hook point.

Select a bunch of long, thin bucktail from underside of tail. The best tailing fibers are generally found at the base of the bucktail or at the tip. Tie in bunch securely above hook point with the tips facing rearward and let the fibers rotate fully around the hook shank. Advance the thread forward, then flair the butt ends up with the thread like a small hackle.

Select 20-30 strands of flashabou and tie down with five to seven secure wraps over the level tie down area before taper. The majority of the flashabou fibers should flow off the back of the fly with about 2” forward of the tie down.

Reverse the short ends to face rearward spreading short ends in a half-hackle fashion and encapsulate tie down area in thread.

Select a pair of nice flowing saddle hackles and strip the butt sections clean...

Tie in the feathers...

Prior to clipping off the stems - measure where the back of the foam head will be...and clip off the stems here...this will give you and 'end-point for the fly body later when all the material is applied.

Then build up a little 'saddle area of thread on the tie-down area..this will be where you place the neck bucktail.

This time 'reverse-tied'...and then fold the tips back and encapsulate with thread to get the desired 'angle-of-attack' for the bucktail.

Now select a prime marabou plume and strip the butt section.

Tie it in by the butt and wrap spey style - making sure to stroke all the fibers rearward while you wrap to avoid fouling. This step is not entirely necessary but provides a nice way to cover the butt wraps from the reverse tying...also if you are building a fly with contrasting colors adding a marabou feather in this manner between bucktail steps lets you get contrast with minimum bulk.

Now a couple more saddles...

Then some more flashabou...

See - Hang Time is forming!

Reverse tie more bucktail...
Add a couple more saddles...

Some crystal flash this time...

Finish with two spey marabous one in front of the other just to the end of those first saddle butt ends...remember...

Build up a good thread base, whip-finish, coat the area with Gorilla Super Glue and then slide on the foam head (remember to take out the nail Dummy!)

DONE!

Big Chip says you can't go wrong with Sponge Bob Square Head!

Here it is in-action with a little props out to some friends...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hJkgALf8u3E&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hJkgALf8u3E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Enjoy!

:cool
doubleA

"Never date the songwriter if you are the lead singer... And a giant whore." blumpkin

blumpkin

Re: Sponge Bob Square Head - Musky(predator) Popper

Post by blumpkin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:01 am

Epic... Will be in a museum someday, along with spud and sak's squids... plus with all the talk about Bob Pop, Dan Blan and Charlie B... I am hoping somebody higher ranking then myself calls for a striper swap soon. :cool
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

BearsFan

Post by BearsFan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:38 am

I'm starting to get that itch.
"I've been searching my whole life for a woman to feed me once a day and eat me once a day. My needs are simple." - Outcast

"Mostly I think about hookers and Tarpon fishing." - blumpkin

NEKvt

Post by NEKvt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Nice tie AA. Why do I waste all this time shaping popping heads when a square may work just as well?

Truchero

Post by Truchero » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Helluva nice fly AA. Bitchin' action.

Also looks like a rotator cuff repair in the making. What are you throwing that thing with?
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"

Winston Churchill

"I still remember the day I caught more fish than he did. Idaho, September 2003. I have a tattoo." Bruiser

wovenstonefly

Post by wovenstonefly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:34 pm

That's Sweet. I like how you did the UV eyes

AftonAngler

Post by AftonAngler » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:54 am

Truchero wrote:Helluva nice fly AA. Bitchin' action.

Also looks like a rotator cuff repair in the making. What are you throwing that thing with?
HaHa...

I know what you mean...but actually this fucker pitches better-n-most. The foam head is really nothing at all compared to the spun deer hair heads of the Beauford type shit.

That is why I chose this fly. It is a guides pattern - a workin' stiff fly really. Pretty easy to whack out a bunch, really durable and still kind of crafty without being a total priss at the bench to produce. I could throw an artsy-fartsy pain-in-the-ass thingy up like an Angry Minnow but that would be wrong.

Troof - this ugly kid can DUNK! No shit, I would not put up a dud in an event like this. This is an EPIC swap and I want to have a pattern that has balls and staying power and SBSH is just a cool piece of musky junk to sport. It makes the topwater game better.

I used to kind of hate on topwater for 'skis cuz most flies are non-converters. Seriously, I could care less for a pattern that can bring up a fish and has only like a 1-in-10 hook-up to strike ratio...or less! And that is what most top-waters offer.

Lots of bang and no bang-bang if ya know what I mean.

SBSH is different. It rides ass-down in the water and gives the fish something to grab...not just push out of the way. I think all this shit through 100 ways to Sunday...call it my gift or my sickness...sitting on the sticks 150 days watching (most of the time) other anglers muss it all up can gib a brotha Religion.

1. Fucker throws good
2. Fucker is easy to tie and replicate
3. Fucker is dur-a-ble
4. Fucker works and not just as a show pony!

WORD

Now I'm a gonna go look through my Train Graffiti Photos

Suckas
doubleA

"Never date the songwriter if you are the lead singer... And a giant whore." blumpkin

blue ridge angler

Post by blue ridge angler » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:55 am

yo, WORD UP AA..that thing is awesome..
ever try laminating blocks of foam from thin sheets of different colors, and then cutting your heads from that?
I bet you could get some cool contrasting effects..great stuff as usual...

"When you gotta pull a head off a body to be humane, then the plan was flawed." - befuddled

"FTG!" - Everyone

"Is this site related to the beautiful Magazine by the same name?" - Harold Ray

AftonAngler

Post by AftonAngler » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:21 am

blue ridge angler wrote:yo, WORD UP AA..that thing is awesome..
ever try laminating blocks of foam from thin sheets of different colors, and then cutting your heads from that?
Dang...no, I never thought of that...but dang...now I want to do it! That's what I love about this place...never a dull moment :cool

Thanks BRA

What kind of glue would you sniff use if you wanted to laminate that kind of block foam?(...and I just figured out what I can do with all the trimmings I been throwing away) :cheer
doubleA

Adams

Post by Adams » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:47 am

Nice pattern -- another one I gotta knock off. I know that Fly Anglers pattern with the big ass foam block head you are talking about. Its a decent smallie popper. Bought one a few years back and never did start knocking it off.

If you want to laminate foam, 3M's Super 77? (comes in a spray can) works pretty well.
If you need a reason to drink, you have a problem. . .

"I just think it's funny that the one constant in this place over the past five years is that it was a cool place right up until the next person joined." nemo

When life gives you limes, it's Gods way of telling you that you're an idiot. spudnik

blue ridge angler

Post by blue ridge angler » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:21 am

AftonAngler wrote:
blue ridge angler wrote:yo, WORD UP AA..that thing is awesome..
Dang...no, I never thought of that...but dang...now I want to do it! That's what I love about this place...never a dull moment :cool

Thanks BRA

What kind of glue would you sniff use if you wanted to laminate that kind of block foam?(...and I just figured out what I can do with all the trimmings I been throwing away) :cheer

super 77 like adams said would be one route..I have not tried it but I have heard of thinning down "shoe goo", or "goop" type rubber based cements with toluene..seems like it would be fairly easy to cut through, and would also flex with the foam..stuff is damn near indestuctable once it's dry too..

"When you gotta pull a head off a body to be humane, then the plan was flawed." - befuddled

"FTG!" - Everyone

"Is this site related to the beautiful Magazine by the same name?" - Harold Ray

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:32 am

AftonAngler wrote: What kind of glue would you sniff use if you wanted to laminate that kind of block foam?(...and I just figured out what I can do with all the trimmings I been throwing away) :cheer
AA, I think I'd use contact. cement (hardware store). Don't know if you've ever used it- brush a layer on each side of surfaces to be laminated and let dry. Once dry, line up edges and bring together, and it is STUCK. Can use a slip sheet if you want- sheet of paper between, once lined up, slip the paper out one side. I'd probably go over it with a brayer/roller after. Then the next layer.

I would have long term concerns over the spray adhesives holding up to the water.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."