The Infamous Mud Minnow... SBS

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
Mad_Mike

The Infamous Mud Minnow... SBS

Post by Mad_Mike » Tue May 24, 2011 7:36 pm

[report]

I don't do alot of these... But this is by far the most productive fly ive ever tied... It will catch quite literally anything that swims, redfish, trout, flounder, sharks, bonefish, baby tarpon, browns, rainbows, brookies, Large and smallmouth... whatever.... just resize it, and go...

so here it goes... you'll need

Hook: Gamakatsu SC15 1/0
copper tinsel chanille
copper krystal flash
copper flashabou
Lg. bead chain, or Sm. Lead eyes
Brown hackle
Gold Variant rabbit strip..

I'm not gonna type out every step... you can tell what i'm doin... just look at the pictures.

and variety is the spice of life boys....

Have fun with it... its an easy tie... and a fish killer..[/report]
Mad Mike
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. - Hemingway

Leonardo DiCaprio wins at life! - Row vs. Wade

BigCliff

Re: The Infamous Mud Minnow... SBS

Post by BigCliff » Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Looks killer indeed, thanks for the SBS.

For small ones like 4's or 6's do you skip any steps?
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Mad_Mike

Post by Mad_Mike » Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 pm

no... but you could use a thinner material for the body... like a diamond braid or something...

Other than that I keep it the same...
Mad Mike
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. - Hemingway

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Tue May 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks for the SBS... :cool

Thats what I will go with for the smallmouth swap.
Gotta churn 18 of those fuckers out by the weekend.
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

overbrook

Post by overbrook » Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 am

I'm liking it....I've been on a simpler is better kick lately. Thanks for puttin this up!
"Enjoy these times before you get married and ruin your life." Fat Tire

"this place is full of very sweet, nice, kind gentlemen. You will like them, just don't sit on their laps." Vaku

I like everybody up here.
If I go down there... that's gonna change. I'm here for the fishin'... Fallen513

ScottP

Post by ScottP » Wed May 25, 2011 6:45 am

I'd rather fish dries but if they're after meat, this looks like a winner. Thanks for the SBS.

Regards,
Scott
These things are gone forever
Over a long time ago, oh yeah
RIP Walter

Vito

Post by Vito » Wed May 25, 2011 7:44 am

That would be a smallie killer round here. Nice tie.
"And now I am, against my better judgement, high at work." - jhnnythndr

RFA

Post by RFA » Wed May 25, 2011 1:39 pm

I am not saying this to be a dick, but wouldn't this work better with either the colors or the eyes inverted? The white (belly) is on the top....

maybe there is a reason for this....if so, please explain.

Also - is that rabbit strip just tied in behind the eye?

At any rate - really cool fly. :cool

Mad_Mike

Post by Mad_Mike » Wed May 25, 2011 2:21 pm

RFA wrote:I am not saying this to be a dick, but wouldn't this work better with either the colors or the eyes inverted? The white (belly) is on the top....

You're thinking too inside the box... This is not a baitfish pattern (despite the name) though it could be mistaken for one... Its not a shrimp, but it could be mistaken for one, It's not a crab, but it could be mistaken for one, its not a crawdad, salamander, sculpin, or sandflea.... but it could be mistaken for one.... get where i'm goin' with this??

Going with traditional baitfish patterns your assesment would be absolutely correct. but this is not a normal pattern. If fishing in saltwater has taught me anything its that fish are not nearly as picky as fishermen. Most of them are opportunists... You give them something that looks like food, and present it in a manner that he can eat it..... he will..

As for the rabbit, the hook is punctured through it, and then it is tied in front of the eyes...

Fish don't understand the "rules" of tying.... and this fly has caught a shit ton of fish.... heres to ya Raffa... :cool
Mad Mike

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Wed May 25, 2011 2:40 pm

Mad_Mike wrote:
RFA wrote:I am not saying this to be a dick, but wouldn't this work better with either the colors or the eyes inverted? The white (belly) is on the top....

You're thinking too inside the box... This is not a baitfish pattern (despite the name) though it could be mistaken for one... Its not a shrimp, but it could be mistaken for one, It's not a crab, but it could be mistaken for one, its not a crawdad, salamander, sculpin, or sandflea.... but it could be mistaken for one.... get where i'm goin' with this??

Going with traditional baitfish patterns your assesment would be absolutely correct. but this is not a normal pattern. If fishing in saltwater has taught me anything its that fish are not nearly as picky as fishermen. Most of them are opportunists... You give them something that looks like food, and present it in a manner that he can eat it..... he will..

As for the rabbit, the hook is punctured through it, and then it is tied in front of the eyes...

Fish don't understand the "rules" of tying.... and this fly has caught a shit ton of fish.... heres to ya Raffa... :cool
I'm with ya, but throwin' one with a dark brown rabbit strip in dirty water doesn't seem like a horrible idea.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

SIXGUNNER

Post by SIXGUNNER » Wed May 25, 2011 4:56 pm

I like it, I think 2 or 3 of those should go with me to Costa Rica here in a couple of weeks...

Carolina_Fly

Post by Carolina_Fly » Wed May 25, 2011 5:00 pm

[report]How am I doing Mike?

Cliff - This is one with a Sparkle Braid body.

- Thomas[/report]
"When you love to fly fish and you're not blessed with holy grail trout waters, you do what you can do to get yer string stretched." - Gaper's Pimp

"Cigarettes aren't allowed in Cary unless the cigarette and the smoke are both the proper shade of beige." - Streamer