Classic Atlantic Salmon Fly Swap

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
austrotard

Re: Classic Atlantic Salmon Fly Swap

Post by austrotard » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:55 pm

fin.
and stop.jpg
and stop.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 649 times
agger's fault.
:cool
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:41 am

now that was worth the wait.

i personally would have done a wing with 9 sections but hey...i guess this one's all right.

:coffee

wovenstonefly

Post by wovenstonefly » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:11 am

wonderful! :cool

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:08 pm

na, the delay was my fault.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 pm

So, somebody tell me the secret to this spey wing shit.

TELL ME NOW.

Or the dog gets kicked.

Again.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

Darth Wader

Post by Darth Wader » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Just read this entire thing. You guys are fucking awesome. Epic.
You can soak your bread in gravy, and you can soak your bread in soup, but the car that you are driving doesn't really belong to you.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:50 pm

wow... that's dedication, darf.
cheers.

falldown,

try tying them in one at a time.

failing that here's some tips on tying in married wings, same principle.
I wrote this for someone having problis and this will be the third time I've recycled it... hope it helps some... perhaps the soft looping explanation is the only tip.

scott,

I'll try and explain it the best I can... (using letters of the alphabet as diagrams, of course).
first let's think about one side of the wing on it's own.
and let's say you've sixteen barbs in each wing.
now picture how that's going to crush down at it's tying point like a depressed accordion.
it's basically going crush down to a tiny square, right? tiny dashes of individual barbs sat upon another...
now picture the pair of wings at their tying point. in reality you've now tied two little crushed squares of feather beside each other. that's how they're going to sit on the top of the hook. two little squares sat side by side.
pretend you're looking at the hook dead-on...
"Ö".... to this "ō"
so basically now a crushed little rectangle when we mention the squares together, right?

getting them to compress at this point is always tricky the first couple times but the first thing you must remember is try to get those two wings to that tiny rectangle the best you can before you make that first wrap.
sometimes believe it or not you'll use both hands; one pinching the wing together and using the fingers of your other hand, compressing the waste ends of your wing downward on top of the hook.

we'll take another approach from the beginning... if we picture what we're doing before we do it it will be easier in practice.

you've compressed the wings together with the pinch causing the tying in point of the wing to take the shape of the letter "I", agreed?
now the last thing you want is that "I" folding over on itself while you tie it... something like this "<" or this ">" will cause no end to your bother.
you want that "I" to collapse into something shaped like this "-"... like a perfect controlled explosion of a ten storey chimney collapsing upon itself.

how we do that is achieved by soft looping.
soft looping is the exercise of taking one full revolution of thread over the wing at the tie in point and lifting the thread upwards instead of downwards.
picture that. you've pinched the wing together, pushed the waste ends downward and now you've just thrown a loose wrap of thread over the hook tying in the wing.
take the thread over, then under and now lift the bobbin tension upwards. you've now caused that wrap of thread to collapse on the top of the wing evenly and gently. any strain on the thread is now against the side of the hook facing you and not on the far side of the wing had you put your tensioning pressure downwards.
another way to imagine it is to picture these two letters "b & q"; the straight line of letters being the thread and the circle again being the hook 'dead on'.
you're after this tension... "b", the tension this side of you and up.
not like this... "q", away from you and down.
now do this soft loop again, except this time not as loose. over, under, up, now tension.
now wrap one normal wrap over the two previous for luck, keeping the tension this time downward... and now take your hand off the wing.

anything that looks untoward in the wing ignore at the minute.

look at your tying in point. did the wing fold over? check the far side, any fold?
did the wing move further away from you on the top of the hook?
if none of these are an issue now look at the wing itself.
are the tips even?
do you like the shape of the wing? it's length on the hook?

if after the inspection of your tying in point you feel the wing doesn't look right don't worry.
you can now undo what you've done, even the tips or move the tying in point forward/rearward or whatever it is that's troubling you and start again. if you follow what you did earlier this time your wing will be tied in, unfolded and correct and you'll be left with a wing you're happy with the shape and length of.

cheers,
shawn

let's pretend I wrote it for aggers, hey.
and never let truth get in the way of a good story.

:cool

-mtice

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 am

Winston the Pinscher thanks you.

He's not out of the woods yet though, it's early in the game.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:06 am

'Tards lesson is on upright wings. this is for BM spey wings. make sure your wing slip is the correct length so that you are tying on the grey colored base vs the bronze colored middle of the fibers. cake with pie on top of it. :coffee

the whole she-bang- http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/ss20 ... 1QQtppZZ36

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:54 am

yeah. well...
umm.. what the fuck was that? hey?
way to steal my fucking thunder, mr ginny fucking sully.

I worked long and hard on that written tutorial.
then you come around with your sbs fit for a fucking simpleton and just give us the flick.
what. the. fuck.

as it happens... you know what?
fuck you lot.

ps. I'd still like my $5 please.

-mtice

fishpimp

Post by fishpimp » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 am

Finally someone gets me! So...
If on the far side of the fly, side I'm not looking at, if I get the "<" with the wing as its being tied down...how to prevent that?!? The near side, side I'm looking at, compresses nicely but the far side folds in on itself. I've always do the soft loop but usually pull down, not up. If that is not the only fix, what else am I doing wrong. I use the best Natures Spirit duck (Don Bastian recommendation), and I'm tying fairly small, mostly #8. Now I tied a #8 Butcher with mallard that turns out perfect, so what am I doing wrong with the duck?
"You look like the type'a guy that gets outta' the shower to take a piss"- Diceman

wovenstonefly

Post by wovenstonefly » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:37 am

If it makes you feel better that was my favorite of the three