Unlimited old school flies

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
fishpimp

Unlimited old school flies

Post by fishpimp » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:36 am

I dint need to replenish much in the way of go- to flies this winter so I been playing with old style stuff. In particular I am amazed at what Carrie Stevens was able to tie with no vise, rudimentary tools, etc., etc., etc. yesterday I decided to tie a grey ghost in her style. Awaiting some partridge 10xl hooks so I used a Tiemco 3xl. No jungle cock yet so I used Starling feathers (turned out well, I think). First time I ever tied cheeks on a fly, the whole style is foriegn to me. I'll post pic of first timer tonite, in the mean time post up the old skool stuff...Let the :wink begin
"You look like the type'a guy that gets outta' the shower to take a piss"- Diceman

Articulated Trico

Re: Unlimited old school flies

Post by Articulated Trico » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:54 pm

What do you mean "old school" stuff? Not really that profound or interesting considering the swanky Atlantic salmon stuff getting thrown around here. Do you mean stuff from old world guys like Alfred Ronalds or recent old school game changers like Carl Richards? Is Jack Dennis or Randall Kaufmann now considered old school? Do you mean humpy's, Adams, , Catskils, Royal coachmen, or just basic wet flies? Depending on where you are in the world or in the US your access to materials can determine what you tie. You can look at fly box in France and see a bunch of under dressed flies and think they are "Old School" but they will out fish your over dressed flies when fished to trout that have been hating humans for thousands of years. Or some recent trucker hat wearing, lipper stuffing, goatee growing, Drake message board hazer, Pabst drinking young gun full of piss and little vinegar who think a chernobyl ant is old school. The dynamics of fly tying is just part of the over all aesthetic of fly fishing but one part you can devote an entire life too. Yet still get better everyday at the vice. You may lose applied motor skills of tying but gain the knowledge of what the hell it takes by feel of how many wraps it takes or right amount of pressure to pull thread for that deer hair to splay just right so a fly can catch a fish and make you put your chest out a little bit more.
Fly tying is a progression for me solely based on catching fish. Flies really are projections into the future with the hope of capturing the here and now moment of putting it in front of a fish!
I prefer the flies of tomorrow! Just like when people ask me where is your favorite place to fish and I always respond the next place I fish!
"them books is wrong"

"The universe shaped exactly like the earth if you go straight long enough you will end up where you were"

"Opinions were like kittens always giving them away"

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 pm

This one dates back to the wee hours of January 18th, 2012.

____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

jhnnythndr

Post by jhnnythndr » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 pm

other than the flash this one i found on google is way old school. doesn't even have a cone.

and it looks lime they forgot to wrap the rib? anf then left the wire on, for the picture they published on their flyfishing club websight? but hey, it takes all kinds.
"Whenever I find myself growing green about the mouth; whenever it is a damp drizzly November in my soul; and especially whenever it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from methodically knocking peoples hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea."

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:55 pm

O. G. Bugger right there.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

fishpimp

Post by fishpimp » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:20 pm

When I think old school I think of what my gramps used. I don't know anyone who has a box full of Mickey Finns, Golden Witches, or Spruce Flies. Helen Shaw wasn't using Grumpy Frumpies or Serenstupidies. As you said your flies are based on solely catching fish. Spruce flies aren't that old but they "look" like an older type fly to me. I'da never thought to tie one let alone use one til I saw my cousin tie onto the rainbow of his life (and lose it to a broken hook). My view of what is in a fella's box may be a little narrow minded; I'm sure there are eastern fly fishers that swear by classic wets vs. a newer nymph, say a Beaver Quill over a BWO tied with the latest synthetics. But what could a natural Zonker do that a Black Nose Dace couldn't. Is there a reason why some still swear by that old fly when the newer one (one tied with the newest material) will do the same, though, may cost more in money and time to tie. The more I read about her the more I think Carrie Stevens was an Iron-Woman. I've been tying flies since prolly 1987. I tie what I use. I use a lot of nymphs, I use a lot of streamers, a lot of big dries. Just lately as I've been learning about the pioneers, I figure I owe myself that much to try and do what they did. I will tie a Stevens Grey Ghost without a vise at some point. As for the studs tying up the things of beauty in that forum, I could only wish to be that good and that patient, it'll never happen though and I won't say i'll even try. Those fellers are in a class by themeselves...fuggers...
"You look like the type'a guy that gets outta' the shower to take a piss"- Diceman

madjoni

Post by madjoni » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:42 am

Nice flies guys :cool
For me old school reminds only on wets...

and fat browns

shunned

Post by shunned » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:19 am

as one of the key cutting, photog copying, cut and pasting fraudulent elite that don these pages I'd like to state than anything containing only fur and feather is now considered old school...

all my flies are old school.

'cept the ones londa gave me.
they were mostly classic glow bug rattle eggs and worm pate dipped estrada foam/mylar indicators.
the depths of your narcissism never cease to amaze me

-raffa of all fucking people

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:25 am

those wets are killer madjoni. i especially like the feather tip wing jobs, cool technique.

man am i sensitive about run on sentences now.

old school to me is pretty vague these days but i got some example i think would pass.

Glista tied Red Ghost, possibly? same as original era though i think he used mylar tinsel.

could have been tied in 1850 traditional spey that i did

i'll find more as i have more time.

ultimate12

Post by ultimate12 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:13 am

Good idea for a thread Fishpimp. My tying skills do not, and likely never will, allow me to tie some of the awesome creations as seen in some of the tying threads here, but I do like "old school". I tie and fish a lot of soft hackles, which are as old school as anything....back when tiers used poached game bird feathers and their wives' sewing silks and what-not. I think there's a lot of beauty in their simplicity. Doesn't hurt that they catch a lot of fish for me either.
Jan. 2012 009b.jpg
Jan. 2012 009b.jpg (431.45 KiB) Viewed 7421 times
crappy pic of Starling and Purples.

As far as the old school tying (sans vise, etc.), never tried it but I remember years ago we had an older fella come to a TU meeting and he tied a size 18 nymph creation without a vise. True, it was a very simple fly, but I had just started tying and I thought it was amazing. And I'm sure it would catch fish. The guy gave me the fly and became a good friend and mentor. Still have the fly, and still think it was qute a feat.
"She can't help that she's ugly......but she coulda stayed home."
Dad

madjoni

Post by madjoni » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:47 am

Ginseng Sullivan wrote:those wets are killer madjoni. i especially like the feather tip wing jobs, cool technique.

man am i sensitive about run on sentences now.

old school to me is pretty vague these days but i got some example i think would pass.
I dont like those passing by idea.Sit down and do some flies because that spey fly is superb :bow

madjoni

Post by madjoni » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:57 am

ultimate12 wrote:Good idea for a thread Fishpimp. My tying skills do not, and likely never will, allow me to tie some of the awesome creations as seen in some of the tying threads here, but I do like "old school". I tie and fish a lot of soft hackles, which are as old school as anything....back when tiers used poached game bird feathers and their wives' sewing silks and what-not. I think there's a lot of beauty in their simplicity. Doesn't hurt that they catch a lot of fish for me either.
Jan. 2012 009b.jpg
crappy pic of Starling and Purples.

As far as the old school tying (sans vise, etc.), never tried it but I remember years ago we had an older fella come to a TU meeting and he tied a size 18 nymph creation without a vise. True, it was a very simple fly, but I had just started tying and I thought it was amazing. And I'm sure it would catch fish. The guy gave me the fly and became a good friend and mentor. Still have the fly, and still think it was qute a feat.
Nothing wrong with sewing silk , feathers from back yard and tying in hand :smile
We just call it blue,not purple..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us