Question- small tarpon flies

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
Ginseng Sullivan

Question- small tarpon flies

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:22 am

i have to tie a few for a customer for back country (as opposed to flats i guess) small tarpon in the Bahama's. of course i don't know shit about tarpon flies other than how to tie them. what would be two good colors? typical Stu Apte style flies or something different?

muchos grassyass
02.jpg
02.jpg (265.44 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

Fishlore

Re: Question- small tarpon flies

Post by Fishlore » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:06 am

Check your pms..

BigTimber

Post by BigTimber » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:10 am

Until someone posts something better, these might get you started. very simple, small, and sparsely tied (for me anyway). Just a bunny strip, palmered marabou and that EP streamer wrap stuff. Size 2 hooks. Hope they don't break. Try a 1/0 if you're worried about it. The top one is olive/olive/tan. Bottom is tan/dun yellow/tan. i also did some with a chartruese/yellow/chartruese and tan/medium brown/tan that are pretty stunning.
IMGP0163.JPG
IMGP0163.JPG (441.41 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
IMGP0162.JPG
IMGP0162.JPG (461.23 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
This place has enough jiggly milkbags, marsupials fisting off, and animated cherubs getting stabbed in the fuck to get anyone shitcanned, if''n their boss can''t take a joke. ~SUAF

Pussy, much like freedom, ain't free.

America has become a dildo that has turned berserkly on its owner. ~McGuane 1971

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:18 am

got the PM and thank you both!

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:21 am

I sent a brief PM as well. LTD is probably the guy to talk to...
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:19 pm

G.S.

Toad's are great, easy to tie, and easy to scale to size. EP Baitfish are cool too but I've moved more toward toads.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

LTD

Post by LTD » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:59 pm

GS....My 2 cents. Find out where the angler is going in Mexico and have him find out what colors the guides like to use down there. Toad patterns and traditional tarpon patterns both work great. Tough to go wrong with olive, yellow, tan and white as colors of choice. I have found that baby tarpon have just as hard a mouth as an adult tarpon. That said..the baby has far less resistance on the hook set due to less weight making it harder to drive the hook and keep em buttoned. IMO...a smaller thinner hook provides better and quicker penetration on baby tarpon.

Again...just my opinion. Others have very different perspectives on the topic.
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:48 am

you guys are awesome! than you all so much for the help with the flies and tips on fishing them. i wish i was going myself now. i settled on a bit of a mash up of traditional tarpon fly, muddler and toad. the fish he sees down there are typically in deeper water but hanging near the surface so the hover factor should be key here. basically went with a dark fly and a light fly. hopefully it saves a day or two for him if the wind comes up on the flats.

thanks again folks.

BearsFan

Post by BearsFan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:50 am

Feel free to pm pics of what you came up with. I would imagine your inbox is a baby poon pattern goldmine. With great power comes great responsibility....
"I've been searching my whole life for a woman to feed me once a day and eat me once a day. My needs are simple." - Outcast

"Mostly I think about hookers and Tarpon fishing." - blumpkin

InTheDrift

Post by InTheDrift » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:03 pm

BearsFan wrote:Feel free to pm pics of what you came up with. I would imagine your inbox is a baby poon pattern goldmine. With great power comes great responsibility....

I'll second that! I would love to see the end result of this...

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:00 am

thanks again folks the customer was happy as a clam and therefor so was i.

PM's sent to all, i think. the finished fly is nothing too exciting but the main thing was to have an idea of what needed to be involved for it to be successful. i had no idea since i've never fished the salt. you guys came through and made me look good and for that i owe you all. anything i can do in the future for any of you, just ask.

:cheer

f*carp

Post by f*carp » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:13 am

Sweet lookin fry!! Thanks for following up with the final product

I'm hijacking a bit, but you've helped me out more than a few times (and apparently SOBF helped with the photog classes) so I was trying to repay a little... but you know, they are only great lakes bows, so I didnt have any fun with these :coffee

[report]Image

Image[/report]