kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
By ScottP
Minor variation on the Gartside Sparrow; use the butt ends (wrapped) of the marabou for the body, palmered with grizzly dyed olive hackle. Don't fish streamers that much any more (cuz I stink at fishing streamers), but last time I checked, it still got the fishes interest. Have had real good luck with this for trout in the east and west; smallies like it, too. Named it after my neighbor, who first showed it to me after (not before, mind you :bomb ) he absolutely schooled a number of supposedly wary trout on a very fertile PA spring creek with this fly.

hook - Mustad 36890 #6 (salmon hook not required but makes it look a bit classier)
thread - UTC 160 olive-brown
tail - marabou blood olive
body - butt ends of marabou, wrapped
rib - copper wire small
body hackle - saddle olive/grizzly
collar hackle - pheasant rump
head - pheasant aftershaft feather

attach thread to hook, wrap back to the bend, tying wire rib in

tie in marabou feather, let the tail extend about 1 shank length

grab butt ends (the feather's, not yours) & twist into a rope/chenille

wrap forward and tie off at head. Chuck's original was tied with a floss body, which made for a skinny fly. I like it a bit meatier so go with the marabou, the same way I tie most of my Buggers (actually the fly up to the pheasant rump collar is pretty much a Bugger); also makes for a faster tie.

tie in saddle hackle (webbier the better) at head

wrap back to the tail

then wrap wire rib forward through hackle (trim hackle at tail and wire at front)

prep a pheasant rump feather, stripping away excess fuzz

then pull back feather barbules leaving a few at the tip for tie-in

tie in rump feather at tip with dull side up (don't trim it until the feather's been wrapped; otherwise it may pull out)

wet fingers, stroke fibers back

wrap rump feather forward and tie off

split thread (UTC is great for this app)

insert aftershaft feather (makes it a bit more durable)

spin loop to trap feather & create "chenille"

wet fingers, stroke chenille back, wrap forward

tie off at head and brush with Miss Sally

finished fly

Pretty easy fly to tie and ugly ones work just as well as "keepers". Tan, brown and black have been good colors, too.
Last edited by ScottP on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Native Chaser
i want to start out by saying thanks for posting another awesome fly with good photography.

i would add one suggestion, as i fish a fly much like this in june and july on stillwaters.

add in your favorite bead eye (burned mono for topwater presentations, bead chain for deep runners)

since it is alrdy a great damsel immitation, the most prominent feature of these bugs is the large eye! a red glass bead also works great.
By Aguirre
I hate Wooly buggers, but I like that fly.
I'd tie and fish that fly, I guess it's the looped aftershaft and long hackle
Yes you are doing good things here.
Please continue.
:cool
whatcha tying?

I’m working on a little gift for the lady.[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

Almost caught up with the backward time travel... […]

Rock curry

That could be our final destination on the Tour […]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Yellow Owl Muddler https://live.staticflickr[…]