kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
By ScottP

Taking a shot at one of Randall Kaufmann's flies, a dark variation of his Freight Train

hook - Dai Riki 799 #6
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - hackle fibers black
rib - oval tinsel silver
body - 1/4 orange yarn, 1/4 red yarn, 1/2 black chenille
hackle - black
underwing - Krystal Flash black
wing - Calf Tail black

mash barb, start thread at 50% mark, wrap back to hook point

measure a clump of hackle fibers for length (hook gap), and tie in

tie in ribbing, wrap back a bit shy of the tail

tie in orange yarn at 25% mark, wrap back to tail, return thread to 25% mark

wrap yarn forward and tie off (try to take any twist out of the yarn at tie-off so it lays flat)

move thread to 50% mark and tie in red yarn

wrap yarn forward to 50% mark and tie off (looks like I came up about 1/2 wrap short)

strip end of chenille, tie in and wrap forward to return wire on hook eye

wrap ribbing forward and tie off (forgot to take a pic, so here's one from a Signal Light I was tying)

tie in (folded) hackle, sweep fibers back while wrapping forward; tie off, then stroke hackle back and down while wrapping thread back for wing tie-in

tie in 2 strands of Krystal Flash and fold back to create underwing

clean, stack and measure (back to hook bend) a clump of squirrel tail; trim to length and tie in

smooth wing tie-in (a bit of SHHAN or Super Glue first helps to tame the slippery squirrel), whip finish, a few coats of SHHAN; trim KF and you're done

By austrotard
choke up on that head and you're golden.

but in all seriousness, what the fuck do I know.
By ScottP
austrotard wrote:choke up on that head and you're golden.

but in all seriousness, what the fuck do I know.
A bit more than me.
By MTgrayling
I'm noticing a theme lately.

You gonna chase steel?

a better hook would look nice.
By DizzyDean
A trick you might want to try with the hairwings to make smaller heads; try tying the wing in first off the front of the hook eye and when the rest of the fly is done, just tie it back. Its an old Ed Haas trick and he made some of the cleaner hairwings around. Its also very durable.
By DizzyDean
Btw nice flies Scott, if you go the Deschutes, this or a Freight Train are real hard to beat. Marabou wing versions also, although not as traditional, fish pretty damn well. Still, I think polar bear wings are probably the best in my mind. They move like bucktail and shine with a crazy translucence and glow when wet. Killer seeing this other side of the weekly Scott tutorials. :cool Keep up the good work.
By Aguirre
That's sweetacle.
Is that the uni-yarn?
Why the shit doesn't the Fish Hawk carry that crap?
I want all the colors.
It looks nice and easy to wrap.
Good one ScottieMcP
By Aguirre
DizzyDean wrote:A trick you might want to try with the hairwings to make smaller heads; try tying the wing in first off the front of the hook eye and when the rest of the fly is done, just tie it back. Its an old Ed Haas trick and he made some of the cleaner hairwings around. Its also very durable.
It's also an impossible trick to perform correctly unless you're Ed Haas.
For reels.
By DizzyDean
Aguirre wrote:
DizzyDean wrote:A trick you might want to try with the hairwings to make smaller heads; try tying the wing in first off the front of the hook eye and when the rest of the fly is done, just tie it back. Its an old Ed Haas trick and he made some of the cleaner hairwings around. Its also very durable.
It's also an impossible trick to perform correctly unless you're Ed Haas.
For reels.

You can do it Aggy, I gots the faith.
By ScottP
No Uni-Yarn, just craft store punch yarn I used for Toads and Merkins in my saltwater days. I've seen some Leroy Hyatt vids with the folded wing - tried a few but the results were somewhat uneven; will have to re-visit the technique.

MT, was planning a Lake Ontario trib trip for them in Nov but knee surgery cancelled that idea, so I'm tying some stuff up for a friend, although all he uses are Sucker Spawn flies; troglodite.
Friday Cheer Through Pics

Hell ya. 3 more weeks for me. Ifn they dont c[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Foamhead Carnage Hopper https://live.static[…]

whatcha tying?

Yes sir :cheer

snowflake writing paper

does the monkey smoke and carry a switchblade?[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine