show your tying space plz!

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
User avatar
slapshot
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:42 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by slapshot » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:56 pm

I'm lucky. When we bought the house my wife gave me choice of which spare bedroom I wanted for my office. I'd like to build a new desk this spring and move my computer to the basement. Fucking thing is a distraction.
Image
I usually drop em in the grass and then fish out another cast or two while I wait for them to get tired enough to hold still - that way you can actually tell how long they are against the rod. - JT

User avatar
SOBF
Posts: 9040
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:01 am
Location: Maine

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by SOBF » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Image
Yer carpet condom appears far too small.

User avatar
slapshot
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:42 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by slapshot » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:03 pm

SOBF wrote:Yer carpet condom appears far too small.
It's all good when I'm sitting there. I just looked behind me.
I usually drop em in the grass and then fish out another cast or two while I wait for them to get tired enough to hold still - that way you can actually tell how long they are against the rod. - JT

User avatar
Hogleg
Posts: 4060
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 4:56 pm
Location: Over yonder

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by Hogleg » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:25 pm

southernstrain wrote:First and foremost have a place for you and the dog to nap; it spawns creativity. You'll also notice a few tubs in the background which are good for storing materials you forgot you had and for stacking fly boxes filled with stuff fish don't eat. There is also a storage table to properly display materials you have recently used as well as materials that will taunt into thinking they are better than the materials you have already selected. This too is good for creativity.

Image

Second, select a smaller table as your main tying table. This keeps the pile of shit you use on a regular basis conveniently buried under all sorts of trimmings, empty plastic bags, semi used semi sharp razor blades, and sharp ass hooks you forgot you took out of that hook storage bin you can no longer find. This may sound crazy, but this set up definitely keeps you on your toes. Which in turn allows for creativity. You will also notice lots of bins that used to be labeled correctly at some point in time. Inevitably your parents, mother in law or some "friend" will show up unannounced and need to stay in the cheap ass bed you and the dogs use for naps. This means stuffing shit wherever you can find room. This tangled mess of materials can be a pain in the ass but man oh man can it lead to some creativity.

Image

There's also a ceramic cup shaped like a zebra somewhere on the tying desk which I use to set my phone in while I'm tying. The shape helps maximize the volume while playing pandora. Pandora is the best because out of nowhere it will play a song you never even knew you wanted to hear, this anticipation of future greatness helps...well you probably get the point
Truer words have never been spoken.

Plenty of materials that fish won't eat and very few hooks available that you actually need at the time.

When the guests show up that your wife warned you about months ago all bets are off in that moment before they arrive. Which will be the same moment that you suddenly remember something your wife told you about some guests coming to visit.

Spare bedroom tying room is fucked from the start.
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

User avatar
SLSS
Posts: 7002
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Home
Contact:

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by SLSS » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

southernstrain wrote:First and foremost have a place for you and the dog to nap; it spawns creativity. You'll also notice a few tubs in the background which are good for storing materials you forgot you had and for stacking fly boxes filled with stuff fish don't eat. There is also a storage table to properly display materials you have recently used as well as materials that will taunt into thinking they are better than the materials you have already selected. This too is good for creativity.

Image

Second, select a smaller table as your main tying table. This keeps the pile of shit you use on a regular basis conveniently buried under all sorts of trimmings, empty plastic bags, semi used semi sharp razor blades, and sharp ass hooks you forgot you took out of that hook storage bin you can no longer find. This may sound crazy, but this set up definitely keeps you on your toes. Which in turn allows for creativity. You will also notice lots of bins that used to be labeled correctly at some point in time. Inevitably your parents, mother in law or some friend will show up unannounced and need to stay in the cheap ass bed you and the dogs use for naps. This means stuffing shit wherever you can find room. This tangled mess of materials can be a pain in the ass but man oh man can it lead to some creativity.

Image

There's also a ceramic cup shaped like a zebra somewhere on the tying desk which I use to set my phone in while I'm tying. The shape helps maximize the volume while playing pandora. Pandora is the best because out of nowhere it will play a song you never even knew you wanted to hear, this anticipation of future greatness helps...well you probably get the point

Son, son!?!?! Is that you?

We must be at least related by some distant strain. My tying area is similar, my studio a steroidal version of this, sans bed, or I'd never get anything done but naps with the dogs.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa


"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

User avatar
FredA
Posts: 2363
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by FredA » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 am

Naps with the dog. What a great idea. I need more naps.

User avatar
Bigguy
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by Bigguy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:21 pm

image.jpg
When we built our house, I staked out a spot in the den for fly tying
image.jpg (173.04 KiB) Viewed 825 times
image.jpg
The appearance of this screen suggests it's time to move to my newly assigned space
image.jpg (103.14 KiB) Viewed 825 times

User avatar
Redchaser
Posts: 6032
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Lafayette, La
Contact:

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by Redchaser » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:49 pm

I never have to leave for a bathroom break, or travel far to wet-test a shitty fly.
1-TYINGSTATION1.JPG
1-TYINGSTATION1.JPG (106.91 KiB) Viewed 797 times
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

User avatar
Ruddy Duck
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: SE Lowsyanna

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by Ruddy Duck » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:54 pm

Redchaser wrote:I never have to leave for a bathroom break, or travel far to wet-test a shitty fly.
1-TYINGSTATION1.JPG
You left a chewed up fly in my boat a year ago. It has been sitting in one of the storage compartments as I have been too lazy to dispose of it.

I'm going to get some rubber gloves and toss it in the trash can now.

User avatar
Redchaser
Posts: 6032
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Lafayette, La
Contact:

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by Redchaser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:52 am

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Redchaser wrote:I never have to leave for a bathroom break, or travel far to wet-test a shitty fly.
1-TYINGSTATION1.JPG
You left a chewed up fly in my boat a year ago. It has been sitting in one of the storage compartments as I have been too lazy to dispose of it.

I'm going to get some rubber gloves and toss it in the trash can now.
Rubber gloves probably aren't sufficient, I would suggest tongs.
Image
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

User avatar
Palometa
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:47 am
Location: Smashville

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by Palometa » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:39 am

The Lab

Image
Protect WYDAHO fish & game, fence out Utah.

User avatar
The_Fuk
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:00 am
Location: Land of Franklin

Re: show your tying space plz!

Post by The_Fuk » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:31 pm

We just bought a new house and this is my tying spot.

Image

Image

I've already been told it's too neat; but with 4 cats in the house you gotta do what you can to minimize losing shit.

Image

I have already started tying flies for the Super Bad Bowl Pool cause I never win.....

Teh_Fuk
Guy's been here an hour and he's already bustin on the cracked cunt.... I like him.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 24 guests