kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
By Spicytuna
After receiving a killer balsa fly from the late Carolina Fly I was hooked as that fly was $$$, well I lost in the mouth of a very above average fish for me.

Since then I have looked and messaged and tried to track someone down who can do similar work.

Finally I took it upon myself and this will now consume way to much of my time that I didn't have much to start with.

I got the wood and the paints that I will need. Have not even got into hooks, weed guards, materials to trailer etc... I am in to deep and have no clue what I am doing but what the hell I like how they fish.

Any tips hints or ideas please send them as I am all ears, no seriously I need info if ya got it.

So it here it goes.

Phase one:

Front:

Bottom:

More to come...
By cornholio
Looks like a penis head.
Huh..huh...I said penis.

Seriously...nice start Spicy! Let me know what type / size hooks you need and whatever tail materials you need. I got a lot of that shit scattered on the floor and will send some to you.
By Spicytuna
I don't know the first thing as far hooks sizes and all that shit. I will have to measure the bottom when I am done sanding it to see what size hook I need. I got AW on the lifeline as well, between the two of you I should be just fine.

thanks
By Palometa
CC- thanks. Spicedawg, how are you going to finish that beast? I'd say paint and then apply 2part epoxy with a paint brush. Let me know if I can help. Cool project
By overbrook
That's how I do mine...I just use cheap acrylic paints and coat them with zpoxy...fuckers are as tough as nails....but Palmetto has that fancy airbrush shit so his are prettier than mine.
By Spicytuna
I got the cheap acrylic paint for now. I already have two coats of sealer on then I am going to paint it then put the varnish on at the end. Got some small brushes that seems to work fine for the painting. At my pace right now I can probably bust out maybe 2 flies per month, but i am pumped to catch fish on something I put a lot of work into. will keep the progress updated.
By Surly
If'n you want to try airbrushing, I'd recommend the Copic marker "system." Alcohol (mmmm, alcohol) markers, a nozzle-thingy and a can of compressed air. Cheaper than an airbrush setup. But tougher to feather/blend colors.
By Spicytuna
Here is the latest.

As of now I am cool with the sealer, paint, and varnish with the brush. I don't need to get any deeper than I am maybe down the road I will look at an airbrush.

This shit is fun and I am stoked to see it come together. Can't wait to stick my first pig on one.
By yard4sale
Spicytuna wrote:Here is the latest.

As of now I am cool with the sealer, paint, and varnish with the brush. I don't need to get any deeper than I am maybe down the road I will look at an airbrush.

This shit is fun and I am stoked to see it come together. Can't wait to stick my first pig on one.
Nice! We are going to need a lighter in the pic for reference.
By Spicytuna
My bad, that is standard now in teh suk I will sit in the corner and feel shame now
By Spicytuna
Here ya go Yard...

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Galloup’s Found Link (extended body) h[…]

Gents, I just sent Curtis an e-mail with a spread[…]

whatcha tying?

Would like to see how these swim. Back at ya […]

Friday Cheer Through Pics

Non Band 02-24-20-50458 copy.jpg

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine