BIG FATTY STREAMER SWAP V

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
-G-

Re: BIG FATTY STREAMER SWAP V

Post by -G- » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:52 pm

D-nymph wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:54 am
G,
I was out with Tim when it broke. He was the hot stick that day & then took his turn rowing. Brad had your fly fishing because it was the thing that was working best & had a workout already. He hooked a pig, still not sure if it was a brown or a northern, I've hooked pike in this specific hole before, and like Tim said, bent the 9 into the cork then just popped free. He nearly cried. Senyo-FTG for a few reasons but never use single strand wire going forward please, for your own sanity. I think the fly had caught so many fish over the last season or two the wire kinked &/or wore a weak spot, 16 lb tippet didn't break. I lost mine to a snag a long ways back, but thanks for that recipe, gonna tie some asap.
See these are the problems you encounter when your friends don’t put all your freshly tied flies in log jams :wink

Anyways, heavy fire-line it is for me now. Thanks again fellas!
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Ok, Senyo's wire = shit. Gotcha.

What about this stuff? In say 20 lb size?

https://www.rioproducts.com/products/ti ... ite-tippet

That's what I've been using so far on articulated flies. Is there something better out there?
... there are two kind of anglers, sight fishermen and the rest of you. If you don't see it first, it doesn't count. - Long Haired Dave

Bait fishermen and flatlanders that can't catch redfish spend more time fishing for specks - Redchaser

LTFI

Post by LTFI » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:04 pm

I haven't had any issues with senyo wire (yet) but its always made me a little nervous.. this is adding to that anxiety. I thought senyo's was a multi strand wire? I know it kinks and everything wears out eventually but they claim 50lbs breaking strength, maybe I just loose flys before breaking them. :gun

What do you esox guys use for connections?

lates: senyo shanks are trash.

pxatim

Post by pxatim » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 am

LA Fly Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 pm

That's what I've been using so far on articulated flies. Is there something better out there?
Braided wire.. you should be good.

Don mentioned he gets braided wire from the craft store. I'm going to check that out next time I stop in for arts and crafts. I have also uses the cheapo steel leaders for blue fish in 30/40lb with no issues. Just cut them with a pair of snips and haven't had issues yet..

-G-

Post by -G- » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:14 am

pxatim wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 am
LA Fly Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Braided wire.. you should be good.

Don mentioned he gets braided wire from the craft store. I'm going to check that out next time I stop in for arts and crafts. I have also uses the cheapo steel leaders for blue fish in 30/40lb with no issues. Just cut them with a pair of snips and haven't had issues yet..
I think it’s called beadalon wire, usually 19 strand for troots, and I think it goes up to 40 something strands if you want bigger. I used to use it but it being a bit pricey at the time kept me from buying another spool.

With swung bugs I’ve pretty much exclusively been using choobs because of the lack of good wire too. Seems like after 2-3 fish senyo’s is all kinked/ frayed and I retire the fly early. Can see where this becomes a big issue when it’s hidden under 4 materials in a streamer and you can’t monitor it.
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:50 am

Yea, I use stainless steel beadalon wire, on all articulated flies & especially musky/pike flies. 19 strand is preferable, but sometimes my local store is out of that, so I use 7 strand. The 19 is more supple & less prone to twisting than the 7. I forget the diameter, but will check this evening, there are a lot of diameters. It is expensive, like $15 for a spool, but you can tie a shit load of flies with one spool. I've never had the beadalon wire break but did have one pull free, on a snag, that wasn't the wire's fault I tied it poorly.

I think Senyo wire is multi-strand, I mis-spoke earlier, but I also think it's kind of weak, like G said. If you're using it on intruder type flies, it's probably pretty good because of the difference in how people loop in the octopus style hooks to those flies. In that case, you've got a much stronger connection that's kind of doubled over. With articulated streamers, that loop is a single strand that takes double or more of the pressure directly onto the wire. That's the issue, it seems to me.

Another issue is, when streamer fishing like we do, often an eat comes very close to the boat. There is a short amount of line in the water & therefore minimal stretch in the fly line, as opposed to a 40-60 foot spey cast & swing take. On the swing, your line can act like shock absorber along with the thin diameter of a #2 octopus hook, as well as the long bendy spey rod & the fish kind of hook themselves. Stripping a streamer & the fish eating 15 feet from the boat & a strip set, there is minimal line out so minimal shock absorption & pop! Broken fly.

As well as like LTFI said - everything wears & fails eventually.
"The devil's pourin drinks and his daughter needs a ride" - III

LTFI

Post by LTFI » Tue May 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Good stuff D and Tim, thanks.

No issue's with senyo wire on intruder stingers and will probably continue to use it since I have a shit load of it. Ordered some heavy duty coated wire for striper ties.