The gimongus super huge steelhead fly thread.

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Re: The gimongus super huge steelhead fly thread.

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:20 pm

MTgrayling wrote: Nope. No turkey and a proper muddler must include turkey.
This is untrue. For you see the British, who invented fly fishing, fly tying and pretty much anything and everything else (according to them, anyway), dub a muddler anything that has such a deerhair head and collar.

You are thinking of the muddler minnow which was probably invented by a Brit (see above). If it has the required deerhair head and collar whether its tied on a streamer fly (or a 'lure' as its called by the British and they know since they probably invented it), dry fly, wet fly, salmon fly, or any other sort of fly, it is, in fact, a muddler.

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:33 pm

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:
austrotard wrote:you're a muddler.

there's a fella named heero hosting a salmon fly comp on sff and I really (see: rilly) want it to be you.
Its me, Mitch.

Somehow I got lured onto that forum years ago by a Welshman I know and sometimes fish with. Im not sure how I was tricked into running that 'contest', but I was. Its fun, you should participate. Tie some British-style shrimp/hairwing flies (because thats all thatll ever win).
Englishmen are allowing an emo American fattie former runner to judge their flies? How did you pull that one off?
"The devil's pourin drinks and his daughter needs a ride" - III

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:39 pm

D-nymph wrote:Englishmen are allowing an emo American fattie former runner to judge their flies? How did you pull that one off?
Im not the judge. I put a poll up at the end of each month's competition then the membership all votes for the favorite. Since they are all Brits (except me and apparently Mitch), the most Brit-looking fly (usually a shrimp of some sort) wins each month. I do pick the theme each month. One month, I themed the contest 'North American Hairwings' and those Brits all put up a bunch of British-looking hairwings, one of which Im sure was the winner (I dont remember).

Its a good forum, tho. Good mix of personality type which makes it interesting reading sometimes. It also moves fairly quickly as it hasnt been hit as hard by Facebook as others (including this). Thats the main draw, really, since people who work in front of a glowing rectangle like I do need something to sometimes look at during the day. It is slowing down recently, tho, and it probably wont be long as everywhere else. Ill probably end up signing up for Facebook one day.

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:51 pm

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote: I do pick the theme each month. One month, I themed the contest 'North American Hairwings' and those Brits all put up a bunch of British-looking hairwings, one of which Im sure was the winner
Fascinating! :needs_pics

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:53 pm

D-nymph wrote:
Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote: I do pick the theme each month. One month, I themed the contest 'North American Hairwings' and those Brits all put up a bunch of British-looking hairwings, one of which Im sure was the winner
Fascinating! :needs_pics

Look for any old shrimp fly posts by me and youll get an idea. :search

MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:13 pm

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:
MTgrayling wrote: Nope. No turkey and a proper muddler must include turkey.
This is untrue. For you see the British, who invented fly fishing, fly tying and pretty much anything and everything else (according to them, anyway), dub a muddler anything that has such a deerhair head and collar.

You are thinking of the muddler minnow which was probably invented by a Brit (see above). If it has the required deerhair head and collar whether its tied on a streamer fly (or a 'lure' as its called by the British and they know since they probably invented it), dry fly, wet fly, salmon fly, or any other sort of fly, it is, in fact, a muddler.
Semantics all of it.

"ShuttleCock" is a better name than muddler anyway since it includes the word cock.
Respected by virtually everyone

Let there be HIGH water!

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:19 pm

I agree since as you well know I am very chicken-oriented.

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:42 am

Sorry guys, there is already a "shuttlecock" fly & it's not that one.

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:56 am

D-nymph wrote:Sorry guys, there is already a "shuttlecock" fly & it's not that one.
That's true. It was invented by the Brits (like everything else).

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:
D-nymph wrote:Sorry guys, there is already a "shuttlecock" fly & it's not that one.
That's true. It was invented by the Brits (like everything else).
Not that shuttlecock Heero, this one :wink

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Can I borrow 2 bucks?

MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:35 pm

That fly looks nothing like a ShuttleCock and It would probably be too boastful to name mine a "steelCock" fly.

*sigh*
Respected by virtually everyone

Let there be HIGH water!