What we do.

All threads that bitch about new, existing, or old members will be posted/relocated here. Keep this shit off the General forum, because no one wants (or cares) to hear your opinions. Now go back to the other forums and post something worthy of reading.
SLSS

Re: What we do.

Post by SLSS » Sun May 30, 2010 2:13 pm

[report]
mustad.jpg
mustad.jpg (59.54 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
One of these days we're going to have to compare notes. Hopefully across a campfire with a bottle of bourbon.

Probably best someplace in your neighborhood.
:cool[/report]
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Sun May 30, 2010 9:18 pm

[report]The months end is near, and still less than an inch of rain has fallen in the month of May. I like shitty with increasing shittiness with continued shittiness when steelheading and yet, no shit. When non-residents would inquire about what to expect in regard to weather, I would commonly use the phrase we have three weather conditions. "Raining, just stopped, or just about to start". Only one day of measurable precipitation, led to streams levels I have not seen in the last decade. The waters of all the creeks and rivers within seventy miles in any direction boasted the same gin clear low water, with the majority of the stream beds exposed, parched and in need of rain and snow melt.

Steel was more difficult to find than sleep this year in the pursuit of finding any water shed containing more than single digit numbers of ocean run rainbows. Even G-smolt, was smart enough to stay in the bullpen waiting for rain that never materialized. His partner in fin chasing had no choice on his yearly pilgrimage, and following Sean, if described by the likeness of an animal, would be half Mountain goat, half Gazelle. Som-bitch, could cover some vertical tundra, entangled with eight and twelve foot root balls, sweepers and widow makers along the steep banks lining the rivers edge. We went over deadfalls on our accent up the river, then under deadfalls on our treks down stream. A couple of destinations produced a couple of nice fish and short lived battles with fish on, followed by, ah never mind. On to the next drainage with more empty vacant systems and us standing in disbelief as we tossed rocks into deeper pools to make certain nothing hid from repeated offerings.

[attachment=0]010.JPG[/attachment] Nope not here?[attachment=2]015.JPG[/attachment]Nope not happening.

The spey rod had no place in fishing waters only thirty to fifty feet in width and Ryan would have said, you dumb ass high-sticking, thing-a-bobber whores. Fishing a spey, on that water, equals dumb asshattery. Spey's for swinging.

So the casting clinics continue on a nearby glacial river and tweaking the mind to build the components for a smooth continuous load of the rod and no fucking pause you idiot. (talking to self)

Now.... work through the motions.

Smooth sweep_____________.

Elbows tight, no chicken winging.()

Rotate shoulders and upper torso.

Top hand quite. Just going for the ride.

Now, push the low hand away smoothly, then pull the low hand to center.

The rod continuously loading, then stop high and let it fly.

It's an incredible feeling, when the line sails across the river, followed by slap of running line recoiling tight against the arbor of the reel beckoning for more distance. Ya right, it happens, with more frequency each day.

This story has had a slow and dry start. The days are getting longer and regardless of the rain, it will have little influence on tide levels or the body of water targeted. The next stop is salt, with changing tides nearly every six hours lending more opportunities and perhaps bigger fish. Hold on,this rod is going to get bent.

Patience, it's a PBR time out. [attachment=1]016.JPG[/attachment] :cool

Thanks, SLSS for the kind words. We all have different role models in life, but I'm glad we shared similar
life experiences.
[/report]
Attachments
010.JPG
010.JPG (267.89 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
016.JPG
016.JPG (118.81 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
015.JPG
015.JPG (184.78 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:54 am

[report]Prep time for the next species and somehow I came up with a twist on the Sea-ducer. Traditionally tied with 4-6 saltwater rooster hackles matched either splayed apart, or cupped facing each other for a slender tail.

Searched for some different materials for tying the tails. Huh,...... found some hen capes I've yet to utilize. Completed just the tail section and threw it in the tub for R&D..............purposes. Holy shit, this should produce some unsolicited aggression. Although flamboyant in color, I was surprised at the action the eight stripped hackles provided.

Trey Combs 5/0 Big Game

Off Like A Prom Dress
o l a p d 093.JPG
o l a p d 093.JPG (124.28 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Dazed and Confused
009.JPG
009.JPG (127.27 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Tradition Southeast Sea-ducer
010.JPG
010.JPG (137.05 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Anyone of these three should be enough to start a fight.

More this weekend
:cool[/report]
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

The_Fuk

Post by The_Fuk » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Sitting here on the phone talking with Ryan's dad and this rod came up in our converstaion. He was wondering how goes it with the rod and the place it is at, at this time.

Thanks,

The_Fuk
Guy's been here an hour and he's already bustin on the cracked cunt.... I like him.

cool manchu

Post by cool manchu » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 pm

The_Fuk wrote:Sitting here on the phone talking with Ryan's dad and this rod came up in our converstaion. He was wondering how goes it with the rod and the place it is at, at this time.

Thanks,

The_Fuk
I understand it is headed to the Dirty South for the White River Bake. We are anticipating its arrival. :cool
"Drop the "Too Cool for School" attitude and maybe everyone won't punch you in the fuck." -Sugarbush

All things Drake related I'm avoiding after reading the Drake Message Board. How a magazine like the Drake can sanction such behavior is beyond me. Sexist, homophobic and downright hostile. - Anonymous

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:52 am

CM- the single hander is on it's way to you. The double, I'm not sure its whereabouts right now.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

MTgrayling
Location: ...down river from you when steelheading; releasing a whitefish above you when the trout are on...

Post by MTgrayling » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:29 pm

The_Fuk wrote:Sitting here on the phone talking with Ryan's dad and this rod came up in our converstaion. He was wondering how goes it with the rod and the place it is at, at this time.

Thanks,

The_Fuk
Ironically it is here, less than a half mile from where it started its journey.

My swinging season was too brief, but sweet, and unfortunately it didn't include this stick. It needs to be passed on and will soon.
Last edited by MTgrayling on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan found his way out; your escape awaits...

Let there be HIGH water!

Ollie

Post by Ollie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:45 pm

When I talked to Fuk the other day we talked about the rod Ryan sent out. There has been some confusion on the rod. The one we are looking for is the SPEY ROD not the single handed one, we know where that one is. The last time we heard from who had it was Overcast in AK. So if anybody has Overcast email or can get in touch with hime tell him we are looking for moving it down the road.

They told me that they are going to try and make another run on the book and I think that is great. When I can I get a kick at reading back what was wrote and get a laugh out of it.

We are going to a friends ice fishing derby the 19th. Ryan went a couple of times and the last one we told him to teach Carter how to do man things. So he had Carter thawing magots out by putting them in his lip and then he had him doing cookies on the ice with the golf cart. Last year the fish that won was over 5 lbs.

Mom and Dad
If your upside down in the ditch you have done something wrong!!

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:37 am

Good to hear from you Ollie.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

-Slave
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

jerome

Post by jerome » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:56 pm

Ollie, I believe the rod sits just down the road from you.
MTgrayling wrote:
Ironically it is here, less than a half mile from where it started its journey.

My swinging season was too brief, but sweet, and unfortunately it didn't include this stick. It needs to be passed on and will soon.[/quote]
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

Ollie

Post by Ollie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:54 pm

The word I got last week it is in one of Ryans good friends hands as we speek at this time. And if you all remember it didn't start in ID.

And I am sure the person that has it now will do his best and keep it moving so someone else can enjoy it.

Mom and Dad
If your upside down in the ditch you have done something wrong!!

jerome

Post by jerome » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:45 pm

Ollie wrote:The word I got last week it is in one of Ryans good friends hands as we speek at this time. And if you all remember it didn't start in ID.

And I am sure the person that has it now will do his best and keep it moving so someone else can enjoy it.

Mom and Dad

Mr.Ollie, Was there not 2 spey rods on lighter than the other? Didn't Ryan have others?

I hope you have all those and there isn't another 2 hander that you are speaking of.

Here is the story of the rod that SLSS sent me....
Ryan fished it on the Clearwater and I believe got a super nice fish with the rod, I was supposed to join him on that trip.

He then sent it to SLSS. He fished it a while for a variety of species all over the country and then chose to send it to me.

I took it to the Salmon(ID) and got a grab, then work and winter came and my plans disintegrated into trying to survive suddenly. I sent it to Overcast, still waiting to hear of his luck with it. He as he let us know hit some bumps in the road and sent it down to MTG, where I believe it still sits.

I did manage some to swing big streamers for some nice big browns before I sent it to AK. Fishing alone,taking pics and a 13'6" don't mix well.

I had hoped for a fall or spring trip and to fish it a week or so this time, but a car wreck the end of last year made steelheading impossible most likely from now on unless I get really lucky.

Glad to know You and the family are well, Mr. Ollie.
If I make it back up to Dillon as I did last spring, I'll try to visit if your up for telling me some stories.
If that's ok with you. It would be an honor to meet you. I'll be talking to Chris soon, I like your part of the world
a lot pre-runoff.

If its possible at some point and I get another chance, sometime, someway I'm going to catch chrome swinging on that rod. Even though they were not top of the line or pretty. They had a simple elegance that came with function and power and in the right hand can really shoot the cast out. I loved learning with it and was saddened to find out TFO discontinued those rods when I tried to acquire a lighter one. The action has a great feel and it can really boom out the casts. It needs to be on a big river further west and or north. Where the big boys swim and in good numbers. TFO told me who they sold all the Pro series speys too. He offered me one at retail. He has them all priced $100 or more higher than they retailed for months before. I think that speaks volumes for those rods. Ryan picked out some cannons, which was only fitting and if it had not been for him I would probably never been exposed to spey casting. :cool :bow
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax