New Gear

All threads that bitch about new, existing, or old members will be posted/relocated here. Keep this shit off the General forum, because no one wants (or cares) to hear your opinions. Now go back to the other forums and post something worthy of reading.
421sd

Re: New Gear

Post by 421sd » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:58 pm

-G- wrote:I'm putting In a request for a TR every time you use her this summer :cool
I want a ride in one of those TRs.
Stovetop wrote:A buddy made it 8 or 10 years ago off plans from the old Charley Barnes White River paddle jon design. I had subleased it from him for a couple years for guide trips and bought if from him last year. Hope it's in the family until I can't paddle it no more.
You got a copy of this book Stovetop?
Attachments
Float-trip-book.jpg
Float-trip-book.jpg (116.55 KiB) Viewed 911 times

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:40 pm

-G- wrote:
Stovetop wrote:Renewed old gear
20170211_165704.jpg20170223_080746.jpg20170304_180829.jpg20170308_162201_HDR.jpg20170308_162153.jpg

I'm putting In a request for a TR every time you use her this summer :cool
Yeah, I'm putting in a second on that. Love seeing a handmade boat getting put to work. Hoping to get time to re-skin my Old Town this summer, get another 20 years out of the face-lift.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Stovetop

Post by Stovetop » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:34 pm

421sd wrote: You got a copy of this book Stovetop?
I don't and would love to read it. Bring it when we float.
SLSS wrote: Yeah, I'm putting in a second on that. Love seeing a handmade boat getting put to work. Hoping to get time to re-skin my Old Town this summer, get another 20 years out of the face-lift.
It'll be worth it and good luck gettin' the time Rick. I burned some weekends getting The Lumper finished by Spring. Summer weekends may be too precious.... just put it off until Winter and instead go fishin'.... :cool

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Stovetop wrote:
SLSS wrote: Yeah, I'm putting in a second on that. Love seeing a handmade boat getting put to work. Hoping to get time to re-skin my Old Town this summer, get another 20 years out of the face-lift.
It'll be worth it and good luck gettin' the time Rick. I burned some weekends getting The Lumper finished by Spring. Summer weekends may be too precious.... just put it off until Winter and instead go fishin'.... :cool
Oh yeah, of all the canoes I've had, she's my favorite. I should have had her done a few years back, but life got in the way. Hopefully before Im out of decent weather this fall at the latest, but I may have reason to want her before then- we'll see.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

421sd

Post by 421sd » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:34 am

Stovetop wrote:I don't and would love to read it. Bring it when we float.
Deal. It speaks a bit on Charley Barnes and his boat building for Jim Owen. The book overall is based mostly on Owen Boat Lines float trip stories. Good stuff.

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks Stovetop and 421st for more info on that boat.

The cover photo goes a long way to answering my subsequent design/use questions.

ironman

Post by ironman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:15 am

The rocks were still more interesting.
Until it was time to net fish.
In unchartered water. If anyone has any insight to the best approach to introducing kids, I would be grateful.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:33 am

ironman wrote: In unchartered water. If anyone has any insight to the best approach to introducing kids, I would be grateful.
Don't fish yourself, make it all about them.

Bluegills with topwater bugs- lots of visuals to keep it fun.

Snacks.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:30 pm

protip: go high.
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

rampant

Post by rampant » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Learn to untie knots and tangles

Randall Dee

Post by Randall Dee » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 am

Make sure you over correct them on the 10 o'clock/2 o'clock thing.

And when you're up on the Flathead in the Bob Marshall and you catch a nice cutthroat on your last night out on a 7 day hike, and then you beat that trout on the head just to have something nice to eat, make sure the kid see's that trout shake and die a violent death. They'll be hooked forever.
K276D9FB6_1000027.jpg
K276D9FB6_1000027.jpg (757.6 KiB) Viewed 494 times

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:16 am

[quote="Randall Dee"]and then you beat that trout on the head just to have something nice to eat, make sure the kid see's that trout shake and die a violent death. They'll be hooked forever. /quote]

Daughter #2 could match Roland Martin with her Zebco and a little Mepps. She'd been fascinated watching me clean birds and fish, but once she hooked a Splake in the gills and we kept it for dinner, I lost my fishing buddy.