A Confession

All threads that bitch about new, existing, or old members will be posted/relocated here. Keep this shit off the General forum, because no one wants (or cares) to hear your opinions. Now go back to the other forums and post something worthy of reading.
Ginseng Sullivan

A Confession

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:21 am

i was at the bar looking for a hook up. the crowd was thinning and the prospects were slimming quickly. worked a big girl for a few and when i came out of the john she was walking out with some old guy with a limp. one skanky bar fly left and she passed out in the middle of my awesome pick up lines. looking around there was just the two of us left. me and the guy in the tight shirt with the high, lispy voice who kept looking at me all night. WTF might as well, huh?

to me, it's the same thing as fishing a bead on a fly rod.

SLSS

Re: A Confession

Post by SLSS » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:48 am

Don't be drawing me into this just because I have a limp. :wink Not limp, just have one.

In AK (tr to come next week) the joint fishes a lot of beads. That's the way they do it. I tried it for about 15 minutes. After I'd caught a dozen fish (in the 15 minutes), I quit for the day and went exploring. I don't want fishing to be that easy. Char behind salmon reds. Gobbling.

That said, I got talking to a guy in a western fly shop about it. He was really down on beads, but fine with glo bugs. He said, You don't tie a bead. Al least you have to tie a glo bug.

I said, How many glo bugs do you sell? He said, A lot.

The guides in AK said the glo bugs work fine, they just get taken deeper, and do a lot more damage to the fish. Beads were a lot easier to deal with with their clients, nearly always ending p with a hook-up on the outside of the fishes mouth, not damaging gills and easily removed. If people are catching 50 to 100 fish in a day, that actually makes sense to me.

And if you are counting tying glo bugs as part of your skill set, I think tying your wading boots should be included too.

I prefer neither, but I'm not going to condemn either.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Eider

Post by Eider » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:05 am

Is it alright to put a cheap spinning reel on your expensive 13' two-hander because you've swung for 3 days straight without getting a pull?

I'm confessing to my sins.

Note: I didn't fish beads with a fly line. Why would you? It's easier to fish beads with mono. So if you want to fish beads, don't pretend like your classy. Use the right gear for the job.

shunned

Post by shunned » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:42 am

it's about time somebody found us something else we all can hate.
:cool
the depths of your narcissism never cease to amaze me

-raffa of all fucking people

fatman

Post by fatman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:57 am

an interesting debate; and I do believe that it's possible to discuss the various points without necessarily hating those whose views don't completely mesh with my own...Lee Wulff thought that fish deserved the sanctuary of the deep, some people think streamers are a step away from bait.....Mel Krieger made the point that catch and release fishing is pretty twisted in it's own right....

In one area that I fish, a bead (or soft rubber egg) does not meet the definition of a "fly", thus making it illegal in "fly only" sections of the river. However, the definition (a single hook lure dressed with fur or feather) does allow a single-hook RoosterTail....

so, back to the subject of fish on the swing:

Does a Prom Dress (ala Scott Howell) with a slip sinker in front (tuned to the precise depth intended) constitute a "fly". And if not, why is it OK to fish a conehead whatever?
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:27 am

hey fatman, can't you just let me bag on it without having to think about all the crossover issues? i'm trying to keep on as narrow minded a track as possible here and you're harshing my mellow.

eider- right on my man. that is the point. fly fishing at it's very base should at least involve a fly, that's all i'm saying. fish however makes you happy. i don't care but use the proper tool for the job.

so i'm 7/8th of the way up K2. storms the whole way lost two people and several fingers and toes of the survivors. all are delirious, out of oxygen and ready to drop. the top is in sight and just an hour from your grasp.

we hear a familiar yet unexpected noise. suddenly a helicopter zooms into view and passes over head. it disappears above us. we reach the top and drop over awaiting death. looking up we see the chopper and a couple of sports posing for pics with the chopper out of frame.

yep, bead fishermen.

fatman

Post by fatman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:34 am

<hangs head, shoulders slumped>
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

BigTimber

Post by BigTimber » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:56 am

Ginseng Sullivan wrote:hey fatman, can't you just let me bag on it without having to think about all the crossover issues? i'm trying to keep on as narrow minded a track as possible here and you're harshing my mellow.

eider- right on my man. that is the point. fly fishing at it's very base should at least involve a fly, that's all i'm saying. fish however makes you happy. i don't care but use the proper tool for the job.

so i'm 7/8th of the way up K2. storms the whole way lost two people and several fingers and toes of the survivors. all are delirious, out of oxygen and ready to drop. the top is in sight and just an hour from your grasp.

we hear a familiar yet unexpected noise. suddenly a helicopter zooms into view and passes over head. it disappears above us. we reach the top and drop over awaiting death. looking up we see the chopper and a couple of sports posing for pics with the chopper out of frame.

yep, bead fishermen.
awesome analogy.

Been wanting to take a trip to Alaska, but it seems every lodge will want to put you with beads. Are there any that don't? That have a strict policy against beeds and make you work for your fish?
This place has enough jiggly milkbags, marsupials fisting off, and animated cherubs getting stabbed in the fuck to get anyone shitcanned, if''n their boss can''t take a joke. ~SUAF

Pussy, much like freedom, ain't free.

America has become a dildo that has turned berserkly on its owner. ~McGuane 1971

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:08 am

BT- we just told the guides we didn't want to fish beads. They assured us we wouldn't catch as many fish, and we assured them we were good with that. Should have seen them light up when all three of the art guys pulled out two handers. They knew we were serious about our fishing, and they were into it.

I fished Nick's sculpin, mice and a pink tube, and caught all the fish I felt like I needed to catch. If yo feel the need to catch a bazzilion fish, beads or bugs.

One of the things I didn't realize is that when the salmon are in, the char and rainbows key so hard on the eggs they almost won't look at anything else. I'd suggest you check with wherever you want to go on when best to target the fish you want to fish for, the way you want to fish for them.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:15 am

Ginseng Sullivan wrote: so i'm 7/8th of the way up K2. storms the whole way lost two people and several fingers and toes of the survivors. all are delirious, out of oxygen and ready to drop. the top is in sight and just an hour from your grasp.

yep, bead fishermen.
First time I read this I read delicious, rather than delirious. Makes it a little more multidimensional.

I agree Nick. One of the reasons I fly fish is that it's harder. Swinging flies, you accept right off the bat you're going to catch few Steelhead. Part of the deal. Gotta earn 'em.

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:32 am

I like watching the old dudes, who swing threaded minnows (with a double hook in the anal fin) or red worms, up under cut banks, with a 35 year old fiberglass rod they've been using for 35 years, all over PA.

:cool
"The devil's pourin drinks and his daughter needs a ride" - III

peetso

Post by peetso » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:37 am

"Taking a trip for six months, if you get in the rhythm of it, it feels like you could just go on forever doing it.

Climbing Everest is the ultimate and the opposite of that, because you get all these high-powered plastic surgeons and CEOs, and you know, they pay $80,000 and have Sherpas put all the ladders in place, and 8,000 feet of fixed ropes. You get to a camp and you don’t even have to lay out your sleeping bag, it’s already laid out with a little chocolate mint on the top.

The whole purpose of climbing Everest is to effect some sort of spiritual and physical gain; but if you compromise the process, you’re an asshole when you start out and you’re an asshole when you get back.” - Yvon Chouinard
I think those bottom lines apply to fishing as well.
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist