Do any of you guys know about Boykin Spaniels?

All threads that bitch about new, existing, or old members will be posted/relocated here. Keep this shit off the General forum, because no one wants (or cares) to hear your opinions. Now go back to the other forums and post something worthy of reading.
Redchaser

Re: Do any of you guys know about Boykin Spaniels?

Post by Redchaser » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:45 am

Heero,

I have no experience with Boykin's (or boinking as of late), but if you are looking for a dog breed that's "Different" I have lots of experience with Irish Water Spaniels, which look like a longer legged Boykin. Very smart dogs, they shed moderately but because the coat is curly the hair gathers in little tumbleweed like balls and is easy to get up. It doesn't tend to work its way into furniture the way Labrador hair does. It's also a sound breed as they have been around for a long time. Breeds that are smaller in terms of the number of them out there tend to be sound, as without a lot of commercial demand there are fewer breeders and they tend to be more conscientious. I.W.S. are smart but with a clown like independent streak. You set them out on a line for a retrieve and they'll make the retrieve but get there and back the way they damn well please.

My I.W.S. Sunny passed away at close to 13 years old. Average life span for the breed is between 11 and 12. Unike Boykin's, Irish Water Spaniels don't cause cancer. http://www.iwsca.org/

"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

jhnnythndr

Post by jhnnythndr » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:50 am

Popeye radish marlin tuna king jaws gator snook ribeye angus hatch drago sculpin hobo trolley caboose buffalo Cody jake snake Jeremiah Rudy radio Ollie
Olive is good. Paddy lemore Waylon waymore Pete is good Seeger soupy soupy sue sue suebee bonnet buttercup maybell Jezebel sugaree Lenox Marvin did I say tug? Timber chigger smoke daisy hazey dandy dumplin peanut parrot tina ruckus raisin bacon Trudy tibbs are all quite good
"Whenever I find myself growing green about the mouth; whenever it is a damp drizzly November in my soul; and especially whenever it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from methodically knocking peoples hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea."

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:01 pm

my wonga's on dave and d-wayne.
more so dave because I choose to not deliberately upset minorities.

children are minorities. you know... as I understand it.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Are Irish Water Spaniels shedders?

The nice thing about the griff is that shedding is very minimal. Every so often Ill notice a hair or two, but its extremely rare. I guess the wirehair breeds shed differently. I may just go for a second griff as I mentioned earlier, but I really like the Springers, the Welsh version especially but unfortunately they appear even more furry than the English varietals, and I like the look of the Boykin's also, hence this topic.

I just cant abide hair everywhere which is a pretty limiting requirement in the selection of a new dog.

jhnnythndr

Post by jhnnythndr » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Redchaser wrote:Heero,

...set them out on a line for a retrieve and they'll make the retrieve but get there and back the way they damn well please.

Which is exactly how I want them to hunt, by would get me skull dragging mad during retrieves. Fucksake- be expedient dog. If spaniels would mark a retreive- instead of hunting it up- or pretending to, i could probably get there, well no because they just can't be full time duck dogs- but even in upland - my dog quarters and flushes in gun range and then moves with a sense if purpose to bring em back.

Anyway- spanieling bein the topic rather than a debate about our favorite canine five weight...

The third hat in the ring with the boykin and the springer is another great option. And having a dedicated flusher retriever that will work close while you follow the big runner is heaven. Let him run and find birds an if he happens to miss while he's covering ground- you'll still get a shot- and off he doesn't miss any your spaniel will be just as happy flashing retrieving the birds pointed as the ones missed.

If you have any notion of waterfowl hunting don't even screw around with anything but the paddy spaniel.

Really it's tough to fuck up if your hunting birds with dogs- whatever combo you roll with as long as they are trained and fucking can work in a manner that is both efficient and pleasing to the eye.

Ps. Get a fucking roomba
"Whenever I find myself growing green about the mouth; whenever it is a damp drizzly November in my soul; and especially whenever it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from methodically knocking peoples hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea."

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:10 pm

Most of my hunting is small game. Id kill more squirrels without the dog but its just more fun with. Plus she finds me rabbits, woodcock, and the occasional quail. I dont really need a new dog for anything in particular, i just want another because two is more than one and more is better when it comes to dogs. Plus, It might be nice to start doing some waterfowling that isnt farm pond waterfowling. I mean, I have the Cheeseapeake Bay right on my doorstep and I never utilize it.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm fairly certain you cannot keep a dog in an 'apartment' as you may call it (see: council flat).
unless you of course you train it to pee in the 'lift' as you may call it (see: elevator).

note: all engrish lifts to qualify as proper elevators must contain 50% pee, 40% piss and 5% stella artois. the remaining 4-5% contains tungsten cancers (which are also banned in the state of california as they may cause birth defects. but mostly in.. that's right, you guessed it... the children.)
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Also, my current bitch isnt socialized with the chickens. I mean, she is to a degree but not to the degree in which I am comfortable hunting her alongside a chicken. Mayhap this fall we can develop that a little more when a new chicken comes to stay with me. Still, itd be nice raising a puppy from a young age to be competent and trustable around a chicken for inter-species mingling whilst afield.

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:17 pm

I have a hard time believing that Heero shoots cute little squirrels & birdies.
"The devil's pourin drinks and his daughter needs a ride" - III

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:18 pm

One last thing on this subject:

Redchaser,

I am reading up on this bogtrotting spaniel you have recommended and my goodness does this sound the dog for me.

Sincerely,

Heero aka Mike

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:23 pm

Boykins shed. and they stay close.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

jhnnythndr

Post by jhnnythndr » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Pontoon major sarge tony cotton tyke Dino mars pirate pinto Pluto Aries dodge country plug nickel dime 25 35 dollar dollarbill duval Toby moon Juarez honcho Pancho paco baron dicey digger Penney pencey dago drama jeep poohbear poobah Lincoln rebel reb monkey mint pricey Reggie Podunk trip trav tick Boone boomer buckwheat bubba briscoe ruby chiba sonny ringo tanto tango cash Jerry lee Levi redman injun Chippewah Peru mako scout Budweiser I think I said bingo Reba Elmo Rollie spelled as you like flounder spade joker punch pitch magnum whitey solo doc Odin journey Bronson hick hickory hambone ozzy brisket I think I'm partial to bodie again.

The main drawback to the oirish spaniel is that I sometimes can't quite tell if I'm looking at one of them or a standard poodle. Side by side it's obvious enough- bu without the poodle for reference... So that's a pretty minor ding really. Other than the speed with which anything I shoot gets back to me- the absolute best part of a lab is that no one ever wants to come up and ask about her.
Last edited by jhnnythndr on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.