jed what the fuck is wrong with this place.

All threads that bitch about new, existing, or old members will be posted/relocated here. Keep this shit off the General forum, because no one wants (or cares) to hear your opinions. Now go back to the other forums and post something worthy of reading.
Woolybug25

Re: jed what the fuck is wrong with this place.

Post by Woolybug25 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:05 pm

Jed wrote:CE,
I check in daily, and then some.
I would love to see a better spam detection process.

jed
Spam detection? As in, you're checking in daily (and then some) and just don't realize that all of the threads are written in Chinese? How in the fuq is it not getting detected?
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

www.hiptothesip.blogspot.com

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:47 am

it stands to reason the cunts cannae read this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21108

that's what's wrong with this place.
and we're out of beer.
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Woolybug25 wrote:Spam detection? As in, you're checking in daily (and then some) and just don't realize that all of the threads are written in Chinese? How in the fuq is it not getting detected?
keep in mind that the allowance of this is based on the forum software and its components, not the person who runs the forum.
Additionally, if this is a hosted service in a server farm, the responsibility lies with the hosting company. Anything done to prevent robot spamming would require another layer of "human confirmation" (think captcha...). I thought there was something during the registration process. But if these are coming from some click farm in Buttfuqistan, they can easier circumvent stuff like that.
So then what?
You can run Geo-ID and deny known nation-state IP blocks. But what if one of the spammers is from Austria? Well then, looks like 2Fish if fucked too.
So that won't work.
I am sure there are programs out there that can be run on forum software to identify rapid postings done from a single IP (or subnet), but it probably costs money.
So yeah...
keep bumping
veins full of disappearing ink

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:39 pm

pbrstreetgang wrote:
毕业证学位微信/办理加拿大麦克马斯特大学文凭mitch学位成绩单 最新学生卡
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:04 pm

pbrstreetgang wrote:
Woolybug25 wrote:Spam detection? As in, you're checking in daily (and then some) and just don't realize that all of the threads are written in Chinese? How in the fuq is it not getting detected?
keep in mind that the allowance of this is based on the forum software and its components, not the person who runs the forum.
Additionally, if this is a hosted service in a server farm, the responsibility lies with the hosting company. Anything done to prevent robot spamming would require another layer of "human confirmation" (think captcha...). I thought there was something during the registration process. But if these are coming from some click farm in Buttfuqistan, they can easier circumvent stuff like that.
So then what?
You can run Geo-ID and deny known nation-state IP blocks. But what if one of the spammers is from Austria? Well then, looks like 2Fish if fucked too.
So that won't work.
I am sure there are programs out there that can be run on forum software to identify rapid postings done from a single IP (or subnet), but it probably costs money.
So yeah...
keep bumping
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 am

now it's Korean

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:22 am

pbrstreetgang wrote:now it's Korean
North or South? Has WW3 begun yet?

http://www.sfgate.com/world/article/U-S ... 061492.php
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:36 am

Woolybug25 wrote:
pbrstreetgang wrote:
So then what?
So that won't work.
So yeah...
keep bumping
Bug, I'm pretty sure he told you you don't know what your'e talking about. :coffee
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Randall Dee

Post by Randall Dee » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 pm

SLSS wrote:
Bug, I'm pretty sure he told you you don't know what your'e talking about. :coffee
Was it a question about running a fly shop?

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:11 am

Randall Dee wrote:
SLSS wrote:
Was it a question about running a fly shop?
Ha... then I would probably understand what he said.

I guess I don't know what he meant by "detection". In my head (scary place, mind) I thought he meant "I didn't know the spam was on the site". For instance, if you go to the Tying section at this very moment, a reasonable person could assume all of the new threads written in Chinese are spam. Just a hunch.

But yeah, stopping it before it happens I wouldn't have a clue. :cool

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:57 am

again, this would require something being installed that could identify language, IP address usage (in this case, if the same address is being used over and over again to post garbage - like LenH's IP once did), or even the URL redirects embedded in the messages being posted.

but with the current member profile creation being as open as it is, there is little to no way to curtail fake users who wish only to spam the site with phishing sites, malware infested webpages, etc.

So, either the forum owner finds a way to install a software/hardware solution that identifies and notifies someone of spammage, or shit stays the same. I am guessing that is not an option as this place (with the exception of ad revenue) is a cost center in the eyes of the owner(s).

Remember when you had a sandbox as a kid? Remember when the local stray cats would shit it in because the lid was ill-fitting, or it was left off? How likely were you to play in that catshit infested sandbox once you found out it was catshit infested? And who was going to clean it up? If you wanted to play in it, Mom/Dad told you to clean it up.

So yeah - we get to figure out how to deal with the catshit here, because no one is going to pay for a tighter fitting lid or for someone to make sure the lid is put back on...

$5

-G-

Post by -G- » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Dammit pbr and your logic. Why can't we just bitch and bang on shit with hammers. Logic's so '16
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan