Discuss With me About the Spray Pole

All threads that bitch about new, existing, or old members will be posted/relocated here. Keep this shit off the General forum, because no one wants (or cares) to hear your opinions. Now go back to the other forums and post something worthy of reading.
Randall Dee

Re: Discuss With me About the Spray Pole

Post by Randall Dee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:50 pm

Lando wrote: Oh, I think I am getting a 12'8" 6 wt. and leaning towards the traditional Rio mid-spey.
What are you going to be targeting with this new 2 hander?

If you are getting this to fish your local waters for big cutts and the like, that 12'8" will most likely be too much stick. It sounds like a steelhead stick? I'd look at 4 or 5 wts for your local stuff. I have an 11'7" 5 wt that would be perfect for your neck of the woods. Most are marketed as a "trout spey". I throw a Scandi on mine with various sink rate Polyleaders. It can't throw super heavy stuff like you might use for Browns though. For that you would want the Skagit.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:54 pm

randall's just repeating what I told him two years ago.
austrotard wrote:
confession: rammerjammers finally sent me this fucking scandi line and the motherscratcher didn't tell me which loop went to which line. so of course I put it on bassackwards and now rampant thinks I'm a dick.
mate, it's ryan says... and ryan didn't say.
you're out.

Lando

Post by Lando » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 pm

Randall Dee wrote:
Lando wrote: Oh, I think I am getting a 12'8" 6 wt. and leaning towards the traditional Rio mid-spey.
What are you going to be targeting with this new 2 hander?

If you are getting this to fish your local waters for big cutts and the like, that 12'8" will most likely be too much stick. It sounds like a steelhead stick? I'd look at 4 or 5 wts for your local stuff. I have an 11'7" 5 wt that would be perfect for your neck of the woods. Most are marketed as a "trout spey". I throw a Scandi on mine with various sink rate Polyleaders. It can't throw super heavy stuff like you might use for Browns though. For that you would want the Skagit.
Who makes those smaller trout spey rods? I have only seen the switch type smaller stuff, and I don't know if that is what I really want.
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

Randall Dee

Post by Randall Dee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11 am

My 11'7" is a Beluah. Do a search for "trout spey" over on Ghey Pages or Google. Keep in mind a 5 wt 2 hander is going to be more like a 6wt single hander in terms of fish fighting back bone and so on. So don't be afraid that your going to be under powered when you hook a good fish. That 12'8" you mentioned might still be fun to cast, but it probably wouldn't be much fun when you hook those cutts.

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:46 am

I'm with RD. I'd go a 4 or 5. I've got a 11'7 4wt Meiser. I like all kinds of lines on it, but for your neighborhood I'd suggest a RAGE head as a starting point. It's either a fat scandi head (fat delicate) or a light skagit head (skinning husky), depending on who you talk to. IF you want to throw really fat meaty stuff, you can get a full skagit, if you want to throw delicate soft hackles and smaller streamers, a scandi. But you said you are going to get a second spool, so there ya go.

My Meiser throws a 6 wt airflow 40+ like a missile, so RD's pretty spot on with that comparison too.

I think echo might makes something in that range, Beulah does, and Meiser. I'm a Meiser fan, I know RD loves his Beulahs.

I'd stay away from a switch to begin with- just easier to learn on the longer rod. The 11'5 or 6 inch rods have a similar feel to the longer spey and I think are easier to learn on than the shorties.

All that said, the 12'6 6 wt is a really nice rig, and where I started. It will kick the ass of most of your local fish, but it will be sweet to learn on. Are you really thinking you're only going to have one spey rod?

If you can, get a lesson. I know, you've been flyfishing since you were knee high to an elk but all that's useless. I quit single hand casting for a few years because it kept messing me up. With the spray pole it's all about the bottom hand, and keeping that top hand quiet is (or was for me) a hard lesson to learn. I think Howard Cole is back at Jack Dennis High Country Anglers in Jackson. I got my first intro class from him quite awhile ago. One of the nicest guys I've ever met in the fishing business and an excellent instructor. He was just getting started with the spray when I met him, but he's one of the finest single hand casters I've ever seen. I imagine by now he's the same with a two hander.

At any rate, no matter when you start, here's my best couple tips-
1- go slow- meaning movements. Rods longer, tip speed is amplified. Go slow, then go half that speed.
b- Don't try so hard. Just like single hand, the harder you try, the more you're inclined to tailing loops and other problems. Now ad a fulcrum into the mix so you can really magnify your too strong efforts. So just relax. And as Michelle Obama, the undisputedly greatest and most beautiful First Lady ever, reminded me of Yard's advice, Draw your loop with your bottom hand.

And did I mention going slow?

I'll be in your neighborhood sometime this summer. Be fun to get out with our long sticks.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

ChaseChrome

Post by ChaseChrome » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:26 am

SLSS wrote: At any rate, no matter when you start, here's my best couple tips-
1- go slow- meaning movements. Rods longer, tip speed is amplified. Go slow, then go half that speed.
b- Don't try so hard. Just like single hand, the harder you try, the more you're inclined to tailing loops and other problems. Now ad a fulcrum into the mix so you can really magnify your too strong efforts. So just relax. And as Michelle Obama, the undisputedly greatest and most beautiful First Lady ever, reminded me of Yard's advice, Draw your loop with your bottom hand.

And did I mention going slow?

I'll be in your neighborhood sometime this summer. Be fun to get out with our long sticks.

But yeah...Rick's advice is good. "Ideal" (or formulaic) rod and line pairings are an adequate starting point. However rod speed (and loading preferences) and your own casting mechanics will play an enormous role in your success and what you finally settle on.** (costumes will hinder your casting... :coffee )
I love my Meisers and fast Sages.

(I picked up a cheap TFO 5wt spey-ish rod that seems to do well enough).
bakeP.jpg
bakeP.jpg (150.96 KiB) Viewed 341 times
If it doesn't work out...I'm sure CuntCrouton can set you up with some spin gear...

**Clearly has evaded me because I cast like shit
All thinking men are atheists...E. Hemingway

Sometimes hipness is what it ain't...Tower of P

Apparently they believe that putting a see through skirt on a word makes it OK...Average Joe

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:15 am

Aren't you supposed to post up photos of titties or happy butts when you ask questions of this nature?

:needs_pics
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:40 am

This thread doesn't have nearly enough contradiction.

I'll give you some, get a switch rod. Yes it will be marginally tougher to learn to cast but not really. It's the exact same thing no matter the length of the rod. the longer rod keeps the line farther from you and is a bit easier to load but if you don't make the casting motions correctly it won't matter. Good technique over rides and rod length for what you want to do anyway. One other reason is the ability to use it singlehanded (nimpin) or better yet two hand overhead casts out of the boat. Crazy distance with one backcast. The whole outfit will weigh half what a spey will and seriously if you can't get the distance you need with the switch check with RFA for options. I rarely use big rods anymore and even when i do i wish i had my lighter, shorter rods after about 4 hours.

If you don't want to strip line get a short head spey line like the Airflo Delta. also get the full line not a head. the loops will suck if you're freezing fishing and being a newb you'll like it better vs the loops. Netcast makes some full lines too but stick with the fall or winter lines for throwing streamers. these lines will work with steelhead sized flies 2-4" not much bunny or lead.

For chucking big stuff take that other spool and put a runner and skagit head on or an Airflo switch streamer line if you don't want the loops.

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:01 am

Heero fishes long lines, not Scandis, Joe.

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 am

yard4sale wrote:Lando, I wouldn't go longer than 35' to learn on.
Wrong. Learn to do it right on a long line and you'll avoid many pitfalls you would with a short line as well as not have to relearn how to cast when you decide to switch to the longer line. Start with the single Spey, too. It really isn't rocket surgery.

Lando

Post by Lando » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:55 am

MitchiePoo wrote:as we say in australia 'suck it and see'.

which basically means give it a go.
what can it hurt?... it'd be easier securing your anchor...

cheers,
shawn
Well, reading all of the replies, I think that I will get a smaller spey to start with. The Redington Hydro 11'6" 4wt. may be the ticket with a Scandi short VT......

At least that is what I am thinking at this moment.

Oh, google your own tits......
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

Randall Dee

Post by Randall Dee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am

Ginseng Sullivan wrote: also get the full line not a head.
I'm going disagree with GS on this one. He's just being a trouble maker.

After you've been doing it for a while and you've figured out what line you like, then sure, get an integrated one. But when you're just getting into it and trying to figure this shit out, a loop to loop set up will allow you to easily interchange different heads so you can experiment and try different ones. Plus the loop to loop connection will help you to position the head where it needs to be on each new cast as opposed to a color change transition on an integrated line where the definition is going to be a little more vague.