Dolphins and Welfare

West Chester

Re: Dolphins and Welfare

Post by West Chester » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Well I generally like just posting these things to get you lefties all riled up, I feel that I need to respond to this one.

TwitterCliff- I am glad you liked that I posted up this article from a Canadian site. I could have posted it from a US site, or maybe a british site or just about any other country, would that change the message or your view of it?

Umm... why did you bring up young voters or obama - you are reading too far into it.

Evolution? not beleiving? once again, where did that come from?

I agree ALL politicians use political power for gaining and holding power.

Charity thing... are you calling me a jackass or the author of the piece? Are you saying that charity is required in a civilization?
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:22 am

I think he's saying that civilized societies practice charity.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:31 am

West Chester wrote:Well I generally like just posting these things to get you lefties all riled up, I feel that I need to respond to this one. Flattered, I suppose.

TwitterCliff- I am glad you liked that I posted up this article from a Canadian site. I could have posted it from a US site, or maybe a british site or just about any other country, would that change the message or your view of it? Not at all. It just hinted that it was a little far-fetched.

Umm... why did you bring up young voters or obama - you are reading too far into it. I found it fairly obvious that the "entitlement generation" that he was referring to was the one that elected the "most anti-American President...". Given that the article was published this month, I don't think he was referring to W.

Evolution? not beleiving? once again, where did that come from? Admittedly, that was an assumption on my part. Thinking of Evolution as crap is quite common for those with opinions like his, but I suppose he could be different. After all, I heard Hannity admit the other day that he is now opposed to the death penalty.

I agree ALL politicians use political power for gaining and holding power.

Charity thing... are you calling me a jackass or the author of the piece? Are you saying that charity is required in a civilization? The author. Charity isn't required in a civilization, because if its required, its not charity. The author was describing taxes used for purposes they may not be fully in favor of. Government spending of tax dollars to support the needs of the public at large is what I was referring to as "civilization".

We cool. I just frequently have compulsive urges to set the record straight, in my opinion.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:44 am

Rhyacophila wrote:
I'll vote if and when either party provides a worthy candidate who will truly do what is best for a civil, tolerant, and productive society, when all corporate lobbying ceases to exist, when science is judged in a blindfolded manner, when all civil service jobs are issued on merit alone, when the members of our society are judged by deeds alone, when politics and popularity cease to sway our populace,...
While all of these are undeniably worthy ideals, what you're describing is called utopia, and will never exist in a human world. Glad to hear that you'll vote anyway, because we need everybody who's willing to think this hard about society casting votes.

I figure that you can boil most all human actions and motivations down to desires to gain either power or comfort. Until that changes, the society you described seems basically impossible.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:51 pm

BigCliff wrote:
Rhyacophila wrote:
I'll vote if and when either party provides a worthy candidate who will truly do what is best for a civil, tolerant, and productive society, when all corporate lobbying ceases to exist, when science is judged in a blindfolded manner, when all civil service jobs are issued on merit alone, when the members of our society are judged by deeds alone, when politics and popularity cease to sway our populace,...
While all of these are undeniably worthy ideals, what you're describing is called utopia, and will never exist in a human world. Glad to hear that you'll vote anyway, because we need everybody who's willing to think this hard about society casting votes.

I figure that you can boil most all human actions and motivations down to desires to gain either power or comfort. Until that changes, the society you described seems basically impossible.
Someone said, "Man's reach must always exceed his grasp." Otherwise, nothing changes.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.