Obama limiting free speech

BigCliff

Obama limiting free speech

Post by BigCliff » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:57 pm

I'm generally a fan of the guy, but this is a bad move, and seems pretty unconstitutional to me. Its bad policy, and bad politics- I can just imagine the crowd that is partly-fully convinced that he's a muslim having lots of fun with this one.
Perhaps in an effort to rehabilitate the United States’ image in the Muslim world, the Obama administration has joined a U.N. effort to restrict religious speech. This country should never sacrifice freedom of expression on the altar of religion.

By Jonathan Turley
Around the world, free speech is being sacrificed on the altar of religion. Whether defined as hate speech, discrimination or simple blasphemy, governments are declaring unlimited free speech as the enemy of freedom of religion. This growing movement has reached the United Nations, where religiously conservative countries received a boost in their campaign to pass an international blasphemy law. It came from the most unlikely of places: the United States.

While attracting surprisingly little attention, the Obama administration supported the effort of largely Muslim nations in the U.N. Human Rights Council to recognize exceptions to free speech for any "negative racial and religious stereotyping." The exception was made as part of a resolution supporting free speech that passed this month, but it is the exception, not the rule that worries civil libertarians. Though the resolution was passed unanimously, European and developing countries made it clear that they remain at odds on the issue of protecting religions from criticism. It is viewed as a transparent bid to appeal to the "Muslim street" and our Arab allies, with the administration seeking greater coexistence through the curtailment of objectionable speech. Though it has no direct enforcement (and is weaker than earlier versions), it is still viewed as a victory for those who sought to juxtapose and balance the rights of speech and religion.

The public and private curtailment on religious criticism threatens religious and secular speakers alike. However, the fear is that, when speech becomes sacrilegious, only the religious will have true free speech. It is a danger that has become all the more real after the decision of the Obama administration to join in the effort to craft a new faith-based speech standard. It is now up to Congress and the public to be heard before the world leaves free speech with little more than a hope and a prayer.
http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/10/ ... laws-.html
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

ditchdoc

Re: Obama limiting free speech

Post by ditchdoc » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:33 pm

If the rest of the world wants to buy into that crap--let them. We already have a constitution which covers free speech in this country. We don't need any help from the UN and we don't need to kiss muslim/christian/bhuddist/catholic ass.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

Rusty Hook

Re: Obama limiting free speech

Post by Rusty Hook » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:54 am

A single story on Reuters from last March about a non-binding UN resolution that the US did not support, and we are all supposed to worry about the end of free speech?

When none of the major news services with the exception of fox have followed up on this, and the only discussion I could find was limited to the usual sources citing this as further evidence of Obama's secret plan to destroy all that is good and wholesome, I think I can safely conclude that we have just been introduced to the right wing topic of the week, and that they are already beginning to run out of material.

Besides, who has ever cared about the non-binding resolutions of any organization, other than its authors?
The virtues are lost in self-interest as rivers are lost in the sea.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt