By SOBF
According to the Maine Department of Labor, there are more than 1,000 small construction companies in Maine that employ between five and 50 workers. These companies employ more than 16,000 Mainers.

"It is outrageous that small construction companies have been unfairly singled out by this amendment," said Senator Collins. "This is yet another example of a significant policy change that is hidden in the fine print of this huge bill. It is simply unfair that small construction companies will face this stiff penalty when other small businesses will not. We should be providing tax incentives to help small contractors afford health insurance not hit them with onerous fines."

Professions affected by this amendment are: plumbers, electricians, carpenters, roofers, dry wall contractors and masons. It also affects installers of fire alarms, smoke detectors, burglar alarms, computer systems, home theaters, appliances, fireplaces, insulation, flooring, carpeting, linoleum, heating systems, air conditioning systems, doors, windows, kitchen cabinets, kitchen counters, water heaters, garage doors, satellite television dishes, and cable TV.
The above from Susan collins
This ought to drive every small business owner into hiring only sub contractors or reducing the workforce below the 50 threshold. Fucking idiots.
By SOBF
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
Wonder if the Nebraska/Louisiana debacle will pass Constitutionality ?
By upstanding
No it would not; if it is written as described but I have not seen the language and it has to go through conference...rest assured that now it's a "done deal"...in conference it will be constitutional(or eliminated) such as... if the states do the following 1, 2, 3 et seq they get it... or everyone gets it ....rest assured the southern cultural conservatives are not going to be left out in the cold without federal dollars even though they were shrill in their opposition to it.... carefully watch the conference committee that's the real action that's real politic and what is signed into law.
By upstanding
I believe this is the provision in the senate bill:
SEC. 141. ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING MEDICAID.
4 (a) ASSUMPTIONS UNDERLYING POLICY.—The Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions of the Senate assumes that the provisions of the Affordable Health Choices Act will be considered by the Senate as part of legislation that amends title XIX of the Social Security Act to implement the following policies:
(1)All individuals currently eligible for Medicaid will remain eligible for Medicaid.
(2) All individuals will be eligible for Medicaid at income levels up to 150 percent of poverty.
(3) Improvements will be made in processes to facilitate enrollment in Medicaid.
(4) States will be required to maintain levels of eligibility with regard to beneficiaries currently enrolled in Medicaid.
(5) Criteria utilized to establish income levels for eligibility for premium credits in a Gateway may also be used to determine eligibility for Federal programs operated under titles XVIII, XIX, and XXI of the Social Security Act.
(6) States will received a Federal medical assistance percentage of 100 percent until for additional costs of enrolling beneficiaries who are described in paragraphs (2) through (4).

(7) Beginning in 2015, the Federal medical assistance percentage for the costs of enrolling individuals described in paragraphs (2) through (4) will phase down to the percentage otherwise applicable by 2020.

(8) An increased Federal medical assistance percentage will be applicable to States that have increased eligibility for individuals described in paragraphs (2) through (4) prior to the date of enactment of this section.
By West Chester
Well... Nancy Pelosi said it...
But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy. Furthermore, we believe that health care reform, again I said at the beginning of my remarks, that we sent the three pillars that the President’s economic stabilization and job creation initiatives were education and innovation—innovation begins in the classroom—clean energy and climate, addressing the climate issues in an innovative way to keep us number one and competitive in the world with the new technology, and the third, first among equals I may say, is health care, health insurance reform."
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
By Plow
I'm stunned the Speaker of the House could/would say something like that. Amazing, just flipping amazing.
By m.b.
un-fucking-real.... 3rd in line, ladies and gentlemen!

california and the dems must be so proud.
By BigCliff
m.b. wrote:california and the dems must be so proud.
Nope. It would be hard to imagine a dumber thing for her to say out loud right now.
By eponymous
Not that she didn't lose me a long time ago, but the following things drove me up a wall lately.

When it was clear that the term "public option" was not flying she decided it should be changed.

When folks began to say that jobs were more important than concetrating on health care, she began to describe the bill as not a "health care" bill but really a 'jobs" bill.

Does she think we are all stupid?

I will say she still looks pretty good for a broad her age. I know there are some surgical assists there but same could be said for Pam Anderson so I won't hold it against her.
By LTD
Brown Water= BAD
By Plow
Anybody ever see her and Michael Jackson together at the the same time?
OneBushmills2Many.jpg
OneBushmills2Many.jpg (15.82 KiB) Viewed 406 times
WTF, Hieronymus

Right on. Tell these losers what is up, braddah.[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Denson’s Farmer Palmer https://live.st[…]

Impeachment pool

I puts yur flies in the fishes mouth for you http[…]

A Confession

The forecast called for rain, and it's a two mile […]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine