Leftist Policy Paradise

User avatar
BigCliff
Posts: 5925
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am
Location: SanAntonyo

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by BigCliff » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:00 pm

West Chester wrote:
BigCliff wrote:Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that GM and others spent millions over decades lobbying against higher fuel economy standards instead of just designing better products to compete and thus keeping the jobs in the state. And definitely not because the city's politicians have been just plain corrupt.

Nah, its definitely because of the liberals.
So, it's very obvious that you did not watch the video there biglib.

So that I understand your point of view... it is GM's fault that Detroit collapsed? 4:15 in the video will help clarify that for you.

GM has more fuel efficient cars in their lineup than Honda or Toyota, but the #1 selling car in the country is the FORD F-150.

And for the record, it is not a companies job to provide jobs to a city, it is their job to earn profits for the shareholders. The population in Detroit has a higher probability of going to jail than they do graduating high school, but I guess that is GM's fault also.
I only watched about the first 2 minutes, and saw enough logical fallacies and right-wing ideology to conclude that the rest wasn't worth watching.

I said nothing about GM being the leader in blame for Detroit's plight. My point was that bad business practices, corrupt officials are more to blame than "liberal politics". That said, the UAW likely ranks third in line. The point I failed to mention is that those with ambition have already left, cuz its sux there.

GM's not solely to blame, but would you argue that they bear no responsibility? They do indeed now have more efficient vehicles, but that's a very recent development. Detroit's downward slide went into full gear over ten years ago.

Ford is doing much better, and that likely has alot to do with making stuff people want, rather than spending millions on lobbying for the status quo. Their early jump into sustainable business practices also plays a role, but of course that just utopian commie bullshit.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Image

User avatar
m.b.
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 am
Location: U.S.-occupied Texas

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by m.b. » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:06 pm

BigCliff wrote:Nah, its definitely because of the liberals.
the city has been run by liberals for how long now? if their leadership is not to blame, then whose is?
BigCliff wrote:I only watched about the first 2 minutes, and saw enough logical fallacies and right-wing ideology to conclude that the rest wasn't worth watching.
and which "logical fallacies," specifically? or is that utopian commie bullshit too?
III

User avatar
BigCliff
Posts: 5925
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am
Location: SanAntonyo

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by BigCliff » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:03 am

m.b. wrote:
BigCliff wrote:Nah, its definitely because of the liberals.
the city has been run by liberals for how long now? if their leadership is not to blame, then whose is?
You're right, liberals leading city governments doom the local economies-
Houston has so far weathered the recession better than most of the country’s major metropolitan areas, according to a report released today by the Brookings Institution, which found that Houston’s housing prices were the most resilient in the country.
Despite a rising unemployment rate, Houston’s overall economy ranked fourth out of the country’s 100 biggest cities as of March, the report found, placing it just behind Austin and just before Dallas. Five of the six best-performing cities were in Texas, including San Antonio, which led the list based on factors including employment, wages, and housing prices.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bus ... 83542.html
Over the next five years, the San Antonio metropolitan area’s economy is expected to grow in every industrial sector, according to an economic forecast presented Friday at the North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce Chairman's Council Breakfast.
http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanan ... ily34.html
m.b. wrote:
BigCliff wrote:I only watched about the first 2 minutes, and saw enough logical fallacies and right-wing ideology to conclude that the rest wasn't worth watching.
and which "logical fallacies," specifically? or is that utopian commie bullshit too?
Mostly straw men and red herrings.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Image

User avatar
Overcast
Posts: 1197
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:21 am
Location: On the mainland next to an Island

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by Overcast » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:16 pm

BigCliff wrote:
m.b. wrote:
BigCliff wrote:Nah, its definitely because of the liberals.
the city has been run by liberals for how long now? if their leadership is not to blame, then whose is?
You're right, liberals leading city governments doom the local economies-
Houston has so far weathered the recession better than most of the country’s major metropolitan areas, according to a report released today by the Brookings Institution, which found that Houston’s housing prices were the most resilient in the country.
Despite a rising unemployment rate, Houston’s overall economy ranked fourth out of the country’s 100 biggest cities as of March, the report found, placing it just behind Austin and just before Dallas. Five of the six best-performing cities were in Texas, including San Antonio, which led the list based on factors including employment, wages, and housing prices.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bus ... 83542.html
Over the next five years, the San Antonio metropolitan area’s economy is expected to grow in every industrial sector, according to an economic forecast presented Friday at the North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce Chairman's Council Breakfast.
http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanan ... ily34.html
m.b. wrote:
BigCliff wrote:I only watched about the first 2 minutes, and saw enough logical fallacies and right-wing ideology to conclude that the rest wasn't worth watching.
and which "logical fallacies," specifically? or is that utopian commie bullshit too?
Mostly straw men and red herrings.

Check my facts Cliff, who are the leading employers in the state of Texas. If I'm correct, that would be the the gas and oil industry.
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

User avatar
BigCliff
Posts: 5925
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am
Location: SanAntonyo

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by BigCliff » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Overcast wrote:Check my facts Cliff, who are the leading employers in the state of Texas. If I'm correct, that would be the the gas and oil industry.
Likely so by total wages, though I wouldn't be surprised if restaurants lead in job count. Your point?
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Image

User avatar
m.b.
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 am
Location: U.S.-occupied Texas

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by m.b. » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:00 pm

BigCliff wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if restaurants lead in job count.
seriously?


http://www.acinet.org/acinet/oview6.asp ... vel=State1

although compared to this, it dudn't look that accurate.



there are no jobs in Texas, and hence no reason for anyone to move here.
III

User avatar
Spudnik
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by Spudnik » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:30 pm

BigCliff wrote: Likely so by total wages, though I wouldn't be surprised if restaurants lead in job count. Your point?
Just because you see more IHOP and Arby's employees then workers in the oil and gas industry in your day to day life does not mean anything.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

User avatar
Overcast
Posts: 1197
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:21 am
Location: On the mainland next to an Island

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by Overcast » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Spudnik wrote:
BigCliff wrote: Likely so by total wages, though I wouldn't be surprised if restaurants lead in job count. Your point?
Just because you see more IHOP and Arby's employees then workers in the oil and gas industry in your day to day life does not mean anything.
Incorrect Spud, It does mean something. An individual seeing more employees at IHOP and Arby's might have a weight problem.

Pass the chips spud. :cool
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

User avatar
Gremlin
Posts: 973
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: The West

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by Gremlin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:16 pm

I lived and worked in the Detroit area for several years in the 90's. It's a shithole.

I also hat the fucking unions and their mentality. That mentality permeated the whole region too. Also a very racist and tense area.

As evidenced by the video, the place looked like a war zone. Living there was an life changing experience. I definitely became more conservative after living there. I'm not saying I agree with the whole video, however.
The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

User avatar
BigCliff
Posts: 5925
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am
Location: SanAntonyo

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by BigCliff » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:39 am

m.b. wrote:
BigCliff wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if restaurants lead in job count.
seriously?


http://www.acinet.org/acinet/oview6.asp ... vel=State1

although compared to this, it dudn't look that accurate.
He referenced a category, as did I. This is more the kind of breakdown I had in mind, though it lumps restaurants in with hotels and doesn't really show an obvious oil & gas category-
Total Employment by Industry Sector
Sector Industry 2006 2007 2008
11 Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting 62,727 62,260 61,235
21 Mining 184,607 205,472 228,593
22 Utilities 74,159 76,448 78,820
23 Construction 639,381 681,336 706,095
31-33 Manufacturing 930,127 938,504 927,076
42 Wholesale Trade 498,942 519,271 529,897
44-45 Retail Trade 1,141,669 1,170,602 1,183,502
48-49 Transportation and Warehousing 409,792 422,164 446,670
51 Information 230,075 228,595 224,096
52 Finance and Insurance 443,850 453,899 455,744
53 Real Estate and Rental and Leasing 180,835 185,586 189,186
54 Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services 527,370 560,939 591,244
55 Management of Companies and Enterprises 56,145 65,416 74,942
56 Administrative and Support and Waste Management and Remediation Services 655,989 678,426 680,965
61 Education Services 1,022,752 1,040,154 1,065,650
62 Health Care and Social Assistance 1,170,641 1,207,097 1,249,293
71 Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation 124,035 127,006 129,713
72 Accommodation and Food Services 839,846 875,574 899,224
81 Other Services (except Public Administration) 281,036 289,561 296,933
92 Public Administration 411,826 416,731 428,847
http://www.careerinfonet.org/industry/I ... Employment
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Image

LeeO
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:01 am
Location: Charleston WV

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by LeeO » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:02 am

What was the point of a picture of the mosque?

I couldn't watch that douchebag. Turned it off after about a minute
Custom Bamboo Fly Rods http://www.304rodcompany.com

LeeO
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:01 am
Location: Charleston WV

Re: Leftist Policy Paradise

Post by LeeO » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:14 am

Detroit auto production peak was in 1955

Unemployment was 20% in 1958 (Huh, that predates the annoying shit's reference to leftist projects in 1961)
Custom Bamboo Fly Rods http://www.304rodcompany.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests