Two ?'s

LTD

Two ?'s

Post by LTD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:42 pm

How do you guys feel about the US giving 100 + million in aid to Haiti?
Who's going to protect the people of Haiti when the looting and killing starts?
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

upstanding

Re: Two ?'s

Post by upstanding » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:26 pm

What is the rest of the world giving? Did not China land stuff today? We cannot be "pikers" viv a vis the rest of the civilized world... given our personna

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:35 pm

I think the government can call Xe in like Katrina...

Interesting facts from USAID.gov

54 percent of Haitians live on less than $1/day (UNDP HDR 2007) while illiteracy is estimated at 44 percent;
Unemployment rate in the formal sector is between 70-80 percent;
46 percent of Haitians do not have sustainable access to potable water (UNDP HDR 2007);
Haiti ranks 154 of 177 countries in the UN's Human Development Index.

According to the USAID website it has given over 200 million dollars in aid to Haiti EACH of the last three years.......

What do you want to bet the US gets put on the hook for Billions to rebuild their infrastructure.
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

LTD

Post by LTD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:06 pm

West Chester wrote:I think the government can call Xe in like Katrina...

Interesting facts from USAID.gov

54 percent of Haitians live on less than $1/day (UNDP HDR 2007) while illiteracy is estimated at 44 percent;
Unemployment rate in the formal sector is between 70-80 percent;
46 percent of Haitians do not have sustainable access to potable water (UNDP HDR 2007);
Haiti ranks 154 of 177 countries in the UN's Human Development Index.

According to the USAID website it has given over 200 million dollars in aid to Haiti EACH of the last three years.......

What do you want to bet the US gets put on the hook for Billions to rebuild their infrastructure.
I think there's a very good chance. Wish we would take better care of our own. And before you lefties jump on this thread and my statement.... the Health Care Plan isn't going to do that.
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:46 pm

There will be looting. There IS nothing else for them to do to survive. Having said that, have we even begun to rebuild New Orleans yet? We've got aid going there within 48 hrs. How long did it take in New Orleans?
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:47 pm

First of all, this will be my only post because I am already breaking my "no posting in the politics room" rule, but since this was started up stairs, I will make an exception.

Listen, this isn't a rebuilding process. We aren't sending money in order to build an infrastructure or because we have interest in their natural resources, etc. We are sending money to help pick up the decomposing bodies in the streets. We are sending medical aid (which costs money) in order to save lives of the hundreds of thousands of people near death. They have no power, no food, no medical supplies. Sure, these are things that other third world countries are in need of. But they did not just have a natural disaster of enormous magnitude kill a large portion of their population. This is not a third world country now, it is a hell. What exactly do you think these people will loot for? All of the buildings and homes are destroyed. If rioting, killing and outward anger towards developed countries is what you are afraid of... see what happens to a third world country with no one to help them. They are desperate and will have allegiance to the people that are willing to help. Whether that is America or the next terrorist dictator is up to us.

This isn't new. When the tsunami hit the south pacific, we sent similar aid. We aren't dealing with a poor country in order for them to deal with a dictator or to protect American interests. We are sending money, people and supplies to the innocent. To people that are literally trapped on an island with no means to help themselves. We send hundreds of millions of dollars to third world countries because of our own political interest. This money is not for the same purpose. Just think of the massive amount of Americans going there to volunteer themselves to this cleanup, will we not send them the resources in order to do it? You would never see this poll at this time, but I assure you, the majority of Americans agree with this aid.
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

www.hiptothesip.blogspot.com

LTD

Post by LTD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:26 pm

For you WB25:

By next Monday, as many as 5,500 U.S. infantry soldiers and Marines were scheduled to arrive, said Defense Department spokesman Bryan Whitman. The first soldiers, from the 82nd Airborne Division, arrived Thursday, and were to be followed by 800 more soldiers on Friday. About 2,200 Marines also had been deployed.

Officials from Obama on down promised the U.S. would be around to help long-term. Looking toward recovery and rebuilding.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates told commanders via videoconference during the president's Wednesday night Situation Room meeting that the military has "no higher priority right now" than the relief efforts. Those efforts include providing security, Gibbs said.

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:38 pm

How is any of that different from what we did during the Tsunami?
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

www.hiptothesip.blogspot.com

LTD

Post by LTD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Woolybug25 wrote:How is any of that different from what we did during the Tsunami?
Its not. I am not making any comparisons. Just pointing out my concern about security and the potential loss of US lives and supporting the statements that I made upstairs that you were so quick to dispel.

Let me ask you this.....Do you think the potential security concerns are higher or lower in Haiti compared to Indonesia?

I smell patroli.

shunned

Post by shunned » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:01 am

ltd,

just out of interest, have you made a donation to norleans/indo/haiti?

mitch
the depths of your narcissism never cease to amaze me

-raffa of all fucking people

LTD

Post by LTD » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 am

shunned wrote:ltd,

just out of interest, have you made a donation to norleans/indo/haiti?

mitch
I took clothes, shoes, and other personal items to Haiti prior to this nightmare. Sent $ to NO. Nothing to Indo.
Let me also add that I ALWAYS bring goods of some sort to the locals when I travel to Mexico and the Bahamas.
I also give food and change I collect around my house to the homeless in Key West. (weekly)
I have another donation that will be completed in June. One I am very much looking forward to providing! :mrgreen:

If you are questioning my ability to donate/give you are barking up the wrong tree.
Why do you ask?

Ohhhh and I almost forgot! For you" Mountain Hippies " who might think animals are more important than humans. I donate a guided hunt to (RMEF) and days on the water to (BTU and TU) every year. :coffee
Last edited by LTD on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

shunned

Post by shunned » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:37 am

it's a double edged sword.

if you give donations to someone in need, you should have the grace to believe the donations are used to the best of the reliefs abilities.
and if you don't, you should have the grace to stfu.

what do you propose with the paltry sum of 100+? how much is your country worth?
what solution have you got?
what are you afraid of? do you reckon deploying soldiers to a devastated country puts your own at risk?

I believe you like to be part of a problem rather than a solution, mate.
though I don't wish it upon you perhaps you should suffer some loss because some days I reckon you don't recognise how much of a miracle it is that you were even born.

someone should give you back your donations so you can pull your fucking head in.
the depths of your narcissism never cease to amaze me

-raffa of all fucking people