Get Out And Vote Mass!!!

Upsetter

Re: Get Out And Vote Mass!!!

Post by Upsetter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:23 pm

Lenny wrote:Add all of these insults to include the Palin comments and you have the one thing I hate about elitist-smarter-than-everyone-else liberals. Why so angry anyways?
What do you care, Im not insulting you. Im not even insulting the notion of real, intelligent, conservative politics. In fact, the more Ive read about it, mostly to prove palin and her ilk are NOT conservatives, Im pretty sure I am one in several capacities, particularly in a fiscal sense.

I am insulting the knownothings, the people who have NO IDEA how to solve any of our problems, they just bitch and moan and try to stop any efforts to do anything, as if everything is honky dory right now. When cornered, all they offered are stupid slogans and one liners. I am sick and tired of stupid is as stupid does running the show in this country. If we fuck up this opportunity to fix our biggest financial problem, then this country will get what it deserves: govco bankruptcy; a collapsed dollar; a completely fucked economy; and who knows what else.

The bigoted fucks on the right already drove my bro out of the country, made him feel like a second class citizen; if they fuck up our economy too, Im out. Norway, here I come, a reasonable trade out for MT I think. I will roll in just like the thousands of pakistanis over there and go to work for the family biz.

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Upsetter, you just made me laugh! :cool

How come I hear that often from my liberal friends, too? Half of them want to leave the country now, and the other half want to wait until it really gets fucked, then they want to leave! Europe is sooo inviting! Well, GTFO!

:cool
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

Salmotrutta

Post by Salmotrutta » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Mike Honcho wrote:
LTD wrote:The tides are turning. America made a HUGE statement today! :cool :Roll Eyes
Good for you America. This is change I can believe in.
AMEN! The people have spoken and sent a shock wave through Washington.
I heard no smart ass comments from the bitch on this fine day!
Strong work Mass peoples! :cool
Lyrical

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Salmotrutta wrote: I heard no smart ass comments from the bitch on this fine day!
What on earth are you talking about... BigLib has been making excuses since the first precinct results came in
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

Rusty Hook

Post by Rusty Hook » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:16 pm

Plow wrote: Couple of other important things we should be talking about:
Why can’t the American voters see the health care bill before congress votes?
You mean this one?
HR 3590

It's not much of a secret. I found it in less than a minute on Google.
Why can’t we watch the “debates” on C Span as promised by Obama?
For starters, C-SPAN is a non-profit organization operated by the National Cable Satellite Corporation. Contrary to popular perception, it is not a government agency, and receives no funding from government sources. It is funded by the cable industry as a public service.

In case you missed any of the live coverage, you can watch the house, senate, and town hall hearings and debates here, at the C-SPAN website.
The virtues are lost in self-interest as rivers are lost in the sea.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

eponymous

Post by eponymous » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:30 pm

If nothing else it was nice - after 18 years in the Commonwealth - to finally head to the polls for a national election and have my vote count. I have voted in every election in my town and there has never been a race where my vote meant a damn. Even when I voted for Democrats in the past - Bubba twice and Gore the first time (sorry about that - my bad) it was still a waste as the Democrat was a shoe in.

Pretty cool day. I know quite a few guys who are in the state legislature or work for folks there and rumor has it that more than a few of them (virtually all D's) voted for Brown. I (and apperntly they) have always found her to be very unlikable. Always looking for the next job before actually doing anything in her current position. Before Teddy passed on her plan was to run against Patrick for the corner office on Beacon Hill.

Regarding Scott Brown I think if those who have already decided they don't like him just b/c he is a Republican should take the time to learn a little bit about him and LISTEN to the things he has to say. I'll bet you might like this guy. Do not buy the screed being peddled on MSNBC and the Huffington Post. It is just that. Screed. Olbermann's rant yesterday was sad and disgraceful. I just watch him make a bunch of examples as to why he was correct in his assessment. By his rational he could make those same statements about his mancrush President Obama. There is no place for that kind of filth on the public airwaves.

While I don't think Brown "kills" healtcare as is being promulgated, I do think he helps make the process more transparent and gives it a better chance of not being a total disaster (just a less than total disaster). I heard a dem senator (I think it was Maxine Waters) say that this would not kill healthcare and that "when people finally find out what is in the bill they will like it." - EXACTLY THE PROBLEM. People don't know what is in the bill and they want to have that chance. They are fed up with the closed doors. This is not the "change" we were promised. Just the opposite.

Brown is for healtcare reform - not against it. Please don't gasp libs. He thinks all people should have access to it. He just thinks the way it is being done right now is not the right way. I've said before and I'll say again I hope that everyone in DC uses this opportunity to cut ties with the insurers. That would go a hell of a long way toward fixing things. Let the market settle itself out with better regulation - let that be the limit of govt involvement - govt regulation not govt control.

my two cents
e
"Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel, not just to be as good as someone else but to be better than someone else. This is the nature of man and the name of the game." Ted Williams

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Plow wrote: Almost everyone agrees to some extent that improvements could be made in our health care system. On the other hand almost everyone agrees we have one of the best health care systems in the world.
This shit makes me laugh every time I hear/read it. Everyone agrees we have the best health care system in the world, yet 99.44% of those people lumped into the category of "everyone" have never set foot in a foreign hospital, doctors office, or clinic. That aside, the figures from the WHO and other organizations just don't support the claim. These same people that go on and on about the shortcomings of socialized medicine have, for the most part never seen it with their own two eyes. I have personally seen with my good eye the insides of both British and Irish hospitals, and can testify firsthand, that most of the horror stories are entirely untrue. While it is true that some people in these countries face long waits for elective, or non-emergency procedures the main difference between us and them is that there, no one does without. While I'm not a fan of socialized anything, I think there's a lot to be learned from the various socialized medicine programs in western europe. The two major differences between us and them are better access to preventative care, and the lack of financial ruin for people facing catastrophic illness or injury. The fact of the matter is that as currently written, the healthcare bill does nothing to address either of these issues. Personally, I feel we'd be better served to narrow the focus to providing universal access to preventative medicine, and a mandate limiting an insured's personal liability. I forget what the exact figures are, but something like 40% of all bankruptcy filings are due to medical reasons, and of that 40%, something like 70% have health insurance. If getting sick or injured is going to lead to bankruptcy with or without health insurance, then why bother paying premiums every month if the end result is the same?

Just for the record, in the last 5 years I've witnessed 2 granny's, a grandad (all in their late 90's), and an aunt pass away in British and Irish hospitals. None were wealthy folks, but all received excellent care, as good as any I've seen in U.S. hospitals. So the next time anyone tells you we have the best healthcare system in the world, take the time to ask them which other countries they've received care in and what their impressions were.

It does us no good whatsoever to continue to keep our heads in the sand and insist that we have the best healthcare in the world when the data simply doesn't support it. We'd be better served to own up to the fact that we lag behind other industrialized nations in such things as infant mortality, longevity, etc. and learn from their successes and failures as well as our own.
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Tort reform and competition by allowing healthcare to be sold across state borders. There I just solved the problem.
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

eponymous

Post by eponymous » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Rusty Hook wrote:
You mean this one?
HR 3590

Rusty. That is the Senate bill that was already voted on - not what is being debated right now. I think folks want to see the current bill being bandied about in the House at the moment. You might be able to find it. I can't. Does not mean it does not exist on the internets I just can't find the current House bill. If it is online for any amount of meaningful time before it is voted on then I will stand corrected.

e
"Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel, not just to be as good as someone else but to be better than someone else. This is the nature of man and the name of the game." Ted Williams

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:29 pm

Epo, I hope you are right, good post. It is the senate bill rusty linked that the house is working on right now. There seems to be some misunderstanding about the procedures being used by the dems right now to reconcile the house and senate versions of the health bill. Here is an explanation of how this would go, and much of it will be televised on cspan, the parts that will, those that take place on the floor, should be obvious, but the hard negotiation work will be done behind the scenes, as always. If you think the grandstanding you see on the floor day to day on cspan is where bills get hashed out, you got some damn good hash. The reason the repubs bitched about this procedure isnt because it wont be just as televised as a formal conference committee, but that they would be out on their ear, unable to further delay or stop the thing. Read this: http://keithhennessey.com/2010/01/05/pi ... onference/

Plow

Post by Plow » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:35 am

slavetotheflyrod wrote:
Plow wrote: Almost everyone agrees to some extent that improvements could be made in our health care system. On the other hand almost everyone agrees we have one of the best health care systems in the world.
This shit makes me laugh every time I hear/read it. Everyone agrees we have the best health care system in the world, yet 99.44% of those people lumped into the category of "everyone" have never set foot in a foreign hospital, doctors office, or clinic. ........
Who said we have THE BEST health care system in the world? Surely we can agree that we have ONE OF THE BEST.

You bring up some valid points. Maybe now the country will have an open debate on improving the health care system. Any health care system that puts us under the thumb of the government is a non-starter BTW.

I’d gladly pay 1% of my salary (withholding) into a pool (that can’t be spent by congress) to protect me and others from catastrophic medical events. Everyone pays including unions.
Better Reds than dead...

Plow

Post by Plow » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:00 am

Rusty Hook wrote:
You mean this one?
HR 3590
As Epo said, show me the bill that will be passed into law.
Why can’t we watch the “debates” on C Span as promised by Obama?
For starters, C-SPAN is a non-profit organization operated by the National Cable Satellite Corporation. Contrary to popular perception, it is not a government agency, and receives no funding from government sources. It is funded by the cable industry as a public service.
In case you missed any of the live coverage, you can watch the house, senate, and town hall hearings and debates here, at the C-SPAN website.
Thanks, but Obama promised we could see it all (and C-SPAN has agreed to show it if allowed), not just the PR events. I want to see the sweetheart deals being made for his supporters. That would be great TV.
Better Reds than dead...