Get Out And Vote Mass!!!

Rhyacophila

Re: Get Out And Vote Mass!!!

Post by Rhyacophila » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:06 pm

Plow wrote:...I’d gladly pay 1% of my salary (withholding) into a pool (that can’t be spent by congress) to protect me and others from catastrophic medical events. Everyone pays including unions.
Why 1% of your salary rather than a flat fee?

I'll gladly pay the same amount as everyone else. Trust me, I'd be better off doin the 1%, but I hope that aint always the case.

I do like the idea of a simple solution - that cant be spent by congress - I just think all people should contribute equitably - the rich are no more likely to be struck by catastrophic medical events (likely the opposite, they can afford preventive maintenance) - personally I think we tax the rich enough.
I guess being fat and ugly isn't enough for the powder monkey - hes got to be an asshole too. (RvW)

Plow

Post by Plow » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Rhyacophila wrote:
Plow wrote:...I’d gladly pay 1% of my salary (withholding) into a pool (that can’t be spent by congress) to protect me and others from catastrophic medical events. Everyone pays including unions.
Why 1% of your salary rather than a flat fee?

I'll gladly pay the same amount as everyone else. Trust me, I'd be better off doin the 1%, but I hope that aint always the case.

I do like the idea of a simple solution - that cant be spent by congress - I just think all people should contribute equitably - the rich are no more likely to be struck by catastrophic medical events (likely the opposite, they can afford preventive maintenance) - personally I think we tax the rich enough.
Put an income limit on it like Social Security. The first 100k of income gets hit by 1% - after that nada. Higher income folks pay a little more but not much.

The fund would only pay expenses above some catastrophic (TBD) amount. Patient would be accountable for everything below it. Should lower insurance cost and make it viable to self-insure.
Better Reds than dead...

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:08 pm

Mattb wrote:
Overcast - you're right. Obama overpromised and has seriously underdelivered on that front. The fact of the matter is, most everyone in Washington is pretty happy with the way things currently work - they get their pork and their sweetheart deals and get invited onto the Sunday morning talk shows whenever they decide to hold some policy hostage because there's not enough in it for them. They're enjoying the ride on the gravy train, and aren't going to get off just because Obama wants them to.

The system's broken, I doubt many here would argue with that. That said, it's the system we've got - you've gotta play the hand you're dealt. Healthcare reform could've been a lot better, but it was watered down at every turn and we wound up with the bill currently under consideration. It'll still help a shitload of people and it's a lot better than nothing.
Mattb, I concur with parts of your response, but the current bill is far from perfect. Perfect is unachievable, but this legislation deserves no more consideration as currently written. No state, group, or organization should receive any special deals. WC, made some excellent comments in regard tort reform and allowing businesses to join as a larger co-ops to get better and more affordable health care. Pharmaceutical companies shouldn't be given a free pass. No matter what becomes of this health care bill I want bi-partisan solutions and the opportunity to read the legislation. Better than nothing, is nothing more than grasping for straws. I respect your comments Mattb, but probably like yourself, I hold myself accountable and I expect the government to do the same. :cool
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

Mattb

Post by Mattb » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Overcast wrote: Mattb, I concur with parts of your response, but the current bill is far from perfect. Perfect is unachievable, but this legislation deserves no more consideration as currently written. No state, group, or organization should receive any special deals. WC, made some excellent comments in regard tort reform and allowing businesses to join as a larger co-ops to get better and more affordable health care. Pharmaceutical companies shouldn't be given a free pass. No matter what becomes of this health care bill I want bi-partisan solutions and the opportunity to read the legislation. Better than nothing, is nothing more than grasping for straws. I respect your comments Mattb, but probably like yourself, I hold myself accountable and I expect the government to do the same. :cool
Tort reform and interstate selling of insurance have been discussed a few times here. There have been countless studies done on tort reform and they all point to it being a very very small piece of the pie. It's a good idea, and it's worth doing, but let's not pretend it'll make a difference in the big picture. As for allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines, we've seen how that works with credit cards - a few states decide they need the jobs, and give the companies free reign to do whatever they please. In the case of CC companies you get ridiculous fees and capricious rate changes, in the case of insurance companies it could be a nightmare. The reason we need regulation of insurers is that 99.99+% of the population doesn't understand what sort of things they ought to be covered - it's pretty likely that a lot of folks would wind up with insurance that doesn't cut it if they ever get sick - then they're financially ruined and the taxpayers wind up covering the bill. I can see why insurance companies want it, but I can't see why anyone else would be in favor of it.

Bi-partisanship is a great idea on paper, but when the minority party decides that it's in its best interests to do everything possible to ensure that the majority can't accomplish ANYTHING then bipartisanship goes out the window. The folks wanting to slow this down now and take a bipartisan approach are the same people who have been sitting on the sidelines for a year, determined not to give Obama a victory. You can't have it both ways, either you participate in good faith or you lose your right to complain.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.”
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm

West Chester wrote:
Mattb wrote:
Wait, so we're all supposed to be shocked that there's politics happening in Washington? Washington DC? Really?

The false naivete is wearing a bit thin from the right these days.
For the record Matt... do you agree with Obamacare trading votes for sweatheart deals to certain states?
Since you have responded twice since I asked this question you must have missed it, so I ask again?
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

Mattb

Post by Mattb » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:31 pm

West Chester wrote:
West Chester wrote:
Mattb wrote:
Wait, so we're all supposed to be shocked that there's politics happening in Washington? Washington DC? Really?

The false naivete is wearing a bit thin from the right these days.
For the record Matt... do you agree with Obamacare trading votes for sweatheart deals to certain states?
Since you have responded twice since I asked this question you must have missed it, so I ask again?
Actually, I was ignoring it. I sort of addressed it in one of my posts, but I wasn't going to directly address it.

These so-called "sweetheart deals" are how politics in the US is practiced these days. I don't like it, but it's reality, and you haven't been paying much attention if you think it's unique to the health care bill or to Democrats.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.”
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Matt, its a simple yes or no question. No need to explain politics or what has happened in the past. Do you or Do you not agree with the Obamacare buyouts?
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:17 pm

[/quote]

Who said we have THE BEST health care system in the world? Surely we can agree that we have ONE OF THE BEST.

You bring up some valid points. Maybe now the country will have an open debate on improving the health care system. Any health care system that puts us under the thumb of the government is a non-starter BTW.

I’d gladly pay 1% of my salary (withholding) into a pool (that can’t be spent by congress) to protect me and others from catastrophic medical events. Everyone pays including unions.[/quote]

I like this idea, 1% seems like a fair price to prevent the possibility of bankruptcy due to a catastrophic injury or illness. Truth be told, neither the British nor Irish systems are perfect by any means, but you'll never hear of any British or Irish citizens losing their house because they had a heart attack or fell off a ladder.

The other major issue I think we as a country could tackle with minimal effort and maximum effort is access to primary care/preventative medicine. And that brings up another point - in order to really lower costs, we need to lower overhead for family practitioners and primary care docs, and the best way to accomplish that is to lower malpractice insurance premiums. While tort reform, in an ideal world would go a long way towards this goal, I have no faith whatsoever that our elected representatives could even come close to true reform. In the past, at the state level at least, caps on punitive awards have been talked about as a way to lower premiums, and this would no doubt help to some small extent. Personally I think, the most meaningful reform we could shoot for on the litigation side would be to require mandatory arbitration for med-mal cases. If we could settle a third of these type cases without ever having to set foot in a courtroom it would minimize the expense of protracted med-mal litigation, as well as result in quicker resolution. Several states have already required mandatory arbitration for personal injury and auto accident cases and that's gone a long way towards lowering liability and auto insurance premiums. Of course it's all for naught if there's no insurance regulation in place to ensure the ins companies don't just pocket the additional profit.
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:58 pm

ditchdoc wrote:
What "sweetheart" deals are you talking about? Do tell.

Well for starters buying Nebraska's vote for Obamacare.... but I bet this story didn't make MSNBC's headlines

I don't know about you, but I don't call that a sweetheart deal for Obama.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

LTD

Post by LTD » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 pm

ditchdoc wrote:ditchdoc wrote:
What "sweetheart" deals are you talking about? Do tell.

Well for starters buying Nebraska's vote for Obamacare.... but I bet this story didn't make MSNBC's headlines

I don't know about you, but I don't call that a sweetheart deal for Obama.
Yeah...as it turns out! I love it! Ya think "o" had anything to do with encouraging that deal to get his shit passed?
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:53 am

All this bullshit can be laid on congress--both sides of the aisle and both houses. They are all shitheels.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:31 pm

MattB,
I have read conflicting reports about torte reform reducing the cost of insurance. To assume that it will make little difference seems strange to my simpleton mind. Dr.'s are a business and if their cost of doing business goes through the roof do you believe these cost's are passed on ? When the cost of copper went from .60/ft to 2.50/ft the cost of doing plumbing jobs went up. If an OB/GYN pays 250,000/yr does that cost get past on the the consumer? I'm not saying it's the only contributing factor in high health care costs ,but it does not help.
Here is another example of waste that could help reduce cost. If I'm in a nursing home and my monthly meds are prescribed and I have a 30 day supply and I croak on the 2nd of the month. All the other meds get thrown away even though they still in the bubble pack. Seems like there are some waste issue's that can be with...by the way gov't regs require those meds to be chucked....those could be thousands of dollars worth