Census using our tax dollars

User avatar
West Chester
Posts: 4820
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by West Chester » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:06 pm

$340 million dollar ad campaign otherwise known as the tax-subsidized National Democrat Future Voter Outreach Drive
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

User avatar
m.b.
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 am
Location: U.S.-occupied Texas

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by m.b. » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:28 pm

exactly. that's why none of them are outraged.
III

User avatar
Rusty Hook
Posts: 3678
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:01 am
Location: somewhere north of Boulder
Contact:

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by Rusty Hook » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:24 pm

A decennial census is mandated by Article I, Section 2 of the US Constitution. Republicans are more likely to benefit from undercounting, so the so-called conservatives, or tea partiers, or whatever they like to call themselves nowadays, scream bloody murder anytime a serious effort is undertaken to get an accurate count.
The virtues are lost in self-interest as rivers are lost in the sea.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Image

User avatar
MTgrayling
Posts: 3613
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:33 pm
Location: ...down river from you when steelheading; releasing a whitefish above you when the trout are on...

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by MTgrayling » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:29 pm

m.b. wrote:you do realize that about 40% of Americans consider themselves conservatives, while only 20% consider themselves liberal (or progressives or whatever the fuck you all call yourselves now), right?
And that, in a nutshell, is why our country is fucked and has little hope of ever becoming unfucked.
Ryan found his way out; your escape awaits...

Let there be HIGH water!

User avatar
BigCliff
Posts: 5925
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am
Location: SanAntonyo

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by BigCliff » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:27 pm

MTgrayling wrote:
m.b. wrote:you do realize that about 40% of Americans consider themselves conservatives, while only 20% consider themselves liberal (or progressives or whatever the fuck you all call yourselves now), right?
And that, in a nutshell, is why our country is fucked and has little hope of ever becoming unfucked.
I disagree. It shows that "conservative"ism has benefited from great brand marketing over the past 30 years, and benefits from being directed at a crowd that likes labels to begin with.

During that same time period, "liberal" has been pilloried by the other side and rarely defended by those to whom it applies. This is partly due to: the fact that they're good at getting bullied by meatheads, that its a group both less homgenous and authoritarian in nature, and because they're generally opposed to defining people by labels.

I also think "fucked" is inaccurate because conservative voters are dying and nearing death and being replaced by those who came of age while Dubya was screwing the pooch. Think a kid born in '85 is going to forget that he spent his first 6 years after getting his degree living at home and working at Target because nobody was hiring during the Great Recession?

Just my $.02
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Image

User avatar
m.b.
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 am
Location: U.S.-occupied Texas

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by m.b. » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Rusty Hook wrote:A decennial census is mandated by Article I, Section 2 of the US Constitution. Republicans are more likely to benefit from undercounting, so the so-called conservatives, or tea partiers, or whatever they like to call themselves nowadays, scream bloody murder anytime a serious effort is undertaken to get an accurate count.


ah, look who showed up again. you make it out fishing lately? anything worth a shit to contribute? we're all still waiting to see all the trip reports you were spouting about and claimed to have posted up here....


yeah, that's what i thought.

troll.
Last edited by m.b. on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
III

User avatar
Rhyacophila
Posts: 2024
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:01 am
Location: underwater

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by Rhyacophila » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Rusty Hook wrote:A decennial census is mandated by Article I, Section 2 of the US Constitution. Republicans are more likely to benefit from undercounting, so the so-called conservatives, or tea partiers, or whatever they like to call themselves nowadays, scream bloody murder anytime a serious effort is undertaken to get an accurate count.
You're actually calling that wasted ad space a serious effort?
I guess being fat and ugly isn't enough for the powder monkey - hes got to be an asshole too. (RvW)

User avatar
Spudnik
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by Spudnik » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:08 am

BigCliff wrote: Think a kid born in '85 is going to forget that he spent his first 6 years after getting his degree living at home and working at Target because nobody was hiring during the Great Recession?

Just my $.02
Born October 11th, 1985. Earned a degree, been working since I was 14, conservative to the bone. Wanna know why? Because I value personal freedom and responsibility. And sorry to say, there are a lot of people my age who see it the same way I do.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

User avatar
BigCliff
Posts: 5925
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am
Location: SanAntonyo

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by BigCliff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:18 am

Spudnik wrote:
BigCliff wrote: Think a kid born in '85 is going to forget that he spent his first 6 years after getting his degree living at home and working at Target because nobody was hiring during the Great Recession?

Just my $.02
Born October 11th, 1985. Earned a degree, been working since I was 14, conservative to the bone. Wanna know why? Because I value personal freedom and responsibility. And sorry to say, there are a lot of people my age who see it the same way I do.
There's alot of 60 year old white Texans that think Obama is doing a great job, but they're a minority amongst their peer group, like you.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Image

User avatar
Spudnik
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by Spudnik » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:48 am

BigCliff wrote:
Spudnik wrote:
BigCliff wrote: Think a kid born in '85 is going to forget that he spent his first 6 years after getting his degree living at home and working at Target because nobody was hiring during the Great Recession?

Just my $.02
Born October 11th, 1985. Earned a degree, been working since I was 14, conservative to the bone. Wanna know why? Because I value personal freedom and responsibility. And sorry to say, there are a lot of people my age who see it the same way I do.
There's alot of 60 year old white Texans that think Obama is doing a great job, but they're a minority amongst their peer group, like you.

Sad, isn't it, when most of my generation takes for granted all of the freedoms and opportunities available to us. Half of my friends from college are still living at home... no ambition, no responsibility, and liberal to the bone.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

User avatar
eponymous
Posts: 1503
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:01 am
Location: The Hub

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by eponymous » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:05 pm

BigCliff wrote:
MTgrayling wrote:
m.b. wrote:you do realize that about 40% of Americans consider themselves conservatives, while only 20% consider themselves liberal (or progressives or whatever the fuck you all call yourselves now), right?
And that, in a nutshell, is why our country is fucked and has little hope of ever becoming unfucked.
I disagree. It shows that "conservative"ism has benefited from great brand marketing over the past 30 years, and benefits from being directed at a crowd that likes labels to begin with.

During that same time period, "liberal" has been pilloried by the other side and rarely defended by those to whom it applies. This is partly due to: the fact that they're good at getting bullied by meatheads, that its a group both less homgenous and authoritarian in nature, and because they're generally opposed to defining people by labels.

I also think "fucked" is inaccurate because conservative voters are dying and nearing death and being replaced by those who came of age while Dubya was screwing the pooch. Think a kid born in '85 is going to forget that he spent his first 6 years after getting his degree living at home and working at Target because nobody was hiring during the Great Recession?

Just my $.02
In other words conservatives are stupid and only believe what they believe because they have bought into a marketing hype. Yeah right. I find that just touch condescending.

Are you serious that conservatives like labels and liberals are opposed to defining people by labels? That is the most re-effing-diculous thing I have ever read posted here on teh Suck. Hands down. Groups like the NAACP, NOW, GLIB, etc. are by definition all about labels and they are not exacly running to the ballot box to vote for conservatives. In fact they will promulgate misinformation and violence to prevent it. (Aside - I think they prefer to call themselves "coalitions". It sounds more nuanced than "groups" and we all know liberals are all about nuance and conservatives are incapable of it. Right?)

You are correct. Conservative voters are in fact dying. They get replaced by liberal voters who grow up, have families and start earning a little money which they would like to keep for their families instead of having it confiscated by the government to give to some other family that has not worked as hard for it. (I don't mean this selfishly - I think most folks center to right do not mind helping the helpless. They just don't want to help the lazy and the manipulative.)

My $0.02.
"Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel, not just to be as good as someone else but to be better than someone else. This is the nature of man and the name of the game." Ted Williams

User avatar
BigCliff
Posts: 5925
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am
Location: SanAntonyo

Re: Census using our tax dollars

Post by BigCliff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:03 pm

eponymous wrote:In other words conservatives are stupid and only believe what they believe because they have bought into a marketing hype. Yeah right. I find that just touch condescending.

Are you serious that conservatives like labels and liberals are opposed to defining people by labels? That is the most re-effing-diculous thing I have ever read posted here on teh Suck. Hands down. Groups like the NAACP, NOW, GLIB, etc. are by definition all about labels and they are not exacly running to the ballot box to vote for conservatives. In fact they will promulgate misinformation and violence to prevent it. (Aside - I think they prefer to call themselves "coalitions". It sounds more nuanced than "groups" and we all know liberals are all about nuance and conservatives are incapable of it. Right?)

You are correct. Conservative voters are in fact dying. They get replaced by liberal voters who grow up, have families and start earning a little money which they would like to keep for their families instead of having it confiscated by the government to give to some other family that has not worked as hard for it. (I don't mean this selfishly - I think most folks center to right do not mind helping the helpless. They just don't want to help the lazy and the manipulative.)

My $0.02.
I honestly didn't mean it to be condescending. I was trying to explain my take on why the "liberal" number was so low, rather than why the "conservative" number was so high, and if anything, to give credit to those who have done a great job marketing "conservative" over the years. Marketing is not necessarily about hype, its about strategic communication, and the right has done a far better job with it.

I think election results of the past 30+ years show that American's political preferences really are split about 50/50 between conservative and liberal. Of course they vary from state to state, and from one region to the next, but in general, elections are close, congress is pretty closely divided, and the party in the WH changes pretty regularly.

If you think that members of the NAACP and NOW represent a typical liberal, you're just exposing your own stereotypes. I've never met a member of either, and they're relevance is fading faster than Wayne Newton's sex appeal. http://media.photobucket.com/image/wayn ... newton.jpg

I agree that my generation (I'm 30) is likely to become more conservative as we age, make more money, and have families to provide for. I just think that's going to be limited when we remember our formative years where the the "conservatives" started two new Vietnams (one warranted), and de-regulated everything they could so the fat cats could get fatter, all while tripling the national debt, then blocked attempts by the next guy to fix healthcare by blaming it on debt and deficits.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CC Riebeeck, Redchaser and 9 guests