I'm buying a book on Cheney by a Weekly Standard columnist

slipstrike

Re: I'm buying a book on Cheney by a Weekly Standard columnist

Post by slipstrike » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:53 am

...WTF? WTF! wtf...

slipstrike

Post by slipstrike » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:57 am

you know what I think? I think you're running from something...
...WTF? WTF! wtf...

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Yeah Dick's a real hard guy. He avoided the draft during Viet Nam with four deferments. Real patriot right there.
Sounds like a prereq to be VP
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... ing-vietn/

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm

but, but, but....
III

gadflyfisher

Post by gadflyfisher » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:14 am

Not only future VPs but just about any trustafarian either got a deferment or was lucky enough to get into the reserves. During the Nam that made it pretty certain you weren't going anywhere near flying bullets since there was a draft and average Joe could be forced to go instead of you.

slipstrike

Post by slipstrike » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:08 am

You want to talk about it as if it were a football rivalry. The Election Bowl.
...WTF? WTF! wtf...

slipstrike

Post by slipstrike » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:10 am

slipstrike wrote:you're in denial.

I own a book called Brainwashing, by a guy named Edward Hunter.

He wrote it in the 1950s, about the techniques used by the Communist Chinese and the North Koreans on American POWs in the Korean War.

Those techniques were exactly the same as those endorsed by Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld- extreme hot and cold, stress positions, slapping, physical threats and beatings, mock executions, degradation and humilitation tactics, forced ingestion of powerful mind-altering drugs, sleep deprivation.

If you think only weaklings crack under sleep deprivation, you aren't being honest with yourself.

The Chinese and North Koreans were condemned for their inhumanity for using those methods to interrogate and break American POWs. Rightfully so.

Actions like that don't suddenly get transformed into acceptable tactics because they're done by Americans, as if the uniform and the Stars and Stripes are some sort of magic wand.

And none of this is about some "ticking time bomb" Hollywood crap, either. Professional terror cells change plans and go to ground at the first hint of something going wrong, like one of their members being detained.

What's the purpose of all of the "enhanced interrogation" torture methods? As best I can tell, the same idea as the North Koreans- operant conditioning and mind control. That's the Unholy Grail of espionage- to break someone and induce multiple personality disorder. That sounds unthinkable- unless you've studied the issue. Then you find out empirical data like this: around 5% of the population are evidently so hypnotically suggestible that they can undergo limb amputations without anesthesia when placed into a deep trance state under hypnotic control. Pummel their minds into jelly first- and know knows what our grand inquisitor class might get out of people like that?

"Terrorist" this, "terrorist" that, to justify disappearances and torture...by the time the Argentines got through running that game on their people in the 1970s, their secret police were snatching young girls off of the street. After a while, they got used to doing whatever they pleased.

Because there's more than one kind of hypnosis. Mass hypnosis can also get run on an entire population, to get it to accept measures that it had always previously looked upon with horror, as unacceptable.

Some of the Argentine Dirty War interrogators used to train their captives to act like dogs- to walk on all fours at the end of a leash, to bark and do tricks and beg. This is established beyond all doubt, as a legal fact.

That's what the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" means.
...WTF? WTF! wtf...

slipstrike

Post by slipstrike » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 am

For the benefit of you history scholars out there:

I was too young to go to Vietnam.

My father was not. He was the Public Information Officer for the 173rd Airborne Brigade.
...WTF? WTF! wtf...