I'm buying a book on Cheney by a Weekly Standard columnist

ditchdoc

Re: I'm buying a book on Cheney by a Weekly Standard columnist

Post by ditchdoc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:50 pm

LTD wrote:
ditchdoc wrote:
LTD wrote:You Libs crack me up! Funny thing is.....we put Dick in the same boat without any political discussion and no prior knowledge as to who he is you would likely enjoy the day. Not to mention there's a good chance he would out fish most of you. His fishing ability is WELL above average and that was in "94".
Yeah, you're probably right. He probably can out fish me. He's a rich fat-cat, and has lots more money and opportunities to fish than most of us. Doesn't make him a better man or person than anyone else. I think it's pretty hilarious, and telling, that you say he can out fish us liberals. I guess being a conservative makes you, automatically, a fishing god. You conservatives are a riot. I think your kool-aid has gone bad on you.
First of all ditch..I am FAR from conservative. And I apologize....I didn't mean to leave out anybody with my statement. Nowhere did I say because he can fish he's a better guy than you or anyone else. I simply said you would likely enjoy the day. Ease up there ditch......
I think I did ease up, compared to most of the vitriol spewed on here. I get tired of all this Lib/Con shit.

And...

M.B.

I don't condone ANY type of torture. When our country tortures, it means any country can torture. It does not make it right. I don't want those fanatics of any stripe to be able to say, "Hey the US does it, so it's okay for us to do it." You forget those soldiers burned and drug through the streets and hung up on a bridge? War is bad enough without atrocities. If we condone torture, we are no better than our enemies. Torture was always, until the Bush administration, a thing which kept this country on the moral high-ground. Pretty easy for someone (and I don't mean you, particularly) who has never, or will never, put himself in harms way to say that torture keeps us free. And, it's not "tearing down this country" to speak up when the country does something wrong. There's this little thing call The Constitution which was written for just that purpose.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:25 pm

waterboarding, sleep deprivation, etc. aren't toture...unless of course you're a nancy-boy.

more journalists and marines waterboarded each other than the gov't waterboarded detainees.

grow a pair, nancy.

i never said it kept us free, i said it protected us. if our enemies were playing by the rules, then yeah, it'd not be necessary. but that's not happening. some people understand that, some don't. and the moral high-ground you speak of went out the window in the 60s with the hippie/liberal movement.
III

slipstrike

Post by slipstrike » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 pm

m.b, you're in denial.

I own a book called Brainwashing, by a guy named Edward Hunter.

He wrote it in the 1950s, about the techniques used by the Communist Chinese and the North Koreans on American POWs in the Korean War.

Those techniques were exactly the same as those endorsed by Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld- extreme hot and cold, stress positions, slapping, physical threats and beatings, mock executions, degradation and humilitation tactics, forced ingestion of powerful mind-altering drugs, sleep deprivation.

If you think only weaklings crack under sleep deprivation, you aren't being honest with yourself.

The Chinese and North Koreans were condemned for their inhumanity for using those methods to interrogate and break American POWs. Rightfully so.

Actions like that don't suddenly get transformed into acceptable tactics because they're done by Americans, as if the uniform and the Stars and Stripes are some sort of magic wand.

And none of this is about some "ticking time bomb" Hollywood crap, either. Professional terror cells change plans and go to ground at the first hint of something going wrong, like one of their members being detained.

What's the purpose of all of the "enhanced interrogation" torture methods? As best I can tell, the same idea as the North Koreans- operant conditioning and mind control. That's the Unholy Grail of espionage- to break someone and induce multiple personality disorder. That sounds unthinkable- unless you've studied the issue. Then you find out empirical data like this: around 5% of the population are evidently so hypnotically suggestible that they can undergo limb amputations without anesthesia when placed into a deep trance state under hypnotic control. Pummel their minds into jelly first- and know knows what our grand inquisitor class might get out of people like that?

"Terrorist" this, "terrorist" that, to justify disappearances and torture...by the time the Argentines got through running that game on their people in the 1970s, their secret police were snatching young girls off of the street. After a while, they got used to doing whatever they pleased.

Because there's more than one kind of hypnosis. Mass hypnosis can also get run on an entire population, to get it to accept measures that it had always previously looked upon with horror, as unacceptable.

Some of the Argentine Dirty War interrogators used to train their captives to act like dogs- to walk on all fours at the end of a leash, to bark and do tricks and beg. This is established beyond all doubt, as a legal fact.

That's what the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" means.
...WTF? WTF! wtf...

slipstrike

Post by slipstrike » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Understand, I think that organized terrorism is a serious problem. But we can't lose our souls in trying to deal with it.

And I can quote some very knowledgeable high-ranking professionals in the US military and CIA who are categorically opposed to torture and inhumane detention conditions, for both moral and practical reasons.
...WTF? WTF! wtf...

Plow

Post by Plow » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:48 pm

West Chester wrote:
Plow wrote:
I'm sure he can give all of us (right and left) a run-for on the river but I bet not one of us would shoot a buddy in the face.
I have er uh "shot" a buddies wife in the face
I'll need pictures/video to see if it qualifies and bandito yourself out, all of you...
Better Reds than dead...

slipstrike

Post by slipstrike » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:51 pm

...WTF? WTF! wtf...

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:21 pm

flesh pistol...that's good.
III

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:03 pm

I see some serious hypocrisy with many of the statements of how this administration is so much different than that of George Bush. You are aware, that the rules and laws of Rendition put in place under GWB are still in place under the Obama administration.

Or the escalated use of predator drones, used by the military and CIA to kill suspected Al-Qaeda and Taliban in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Yemen. Kind of a double standard. We have no problem killing suspected terrorist and anyone in close proximity when we use predator drones. No Miranda rights given, no interrogations, no trials just instantaneous death. Kind of cool huh. But than you have the brilliance of Eric Holder and the Obama administration pushing for rights of terrorist in the US and giving them the same rights as US citizens.

How's that working out.
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:10 pm

but, but, but...
III

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:48 pm

but,but, but...more kool-aid please.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05 pm

m.b. wrote:but, but, but...
Hey fuckhead, give me some credit for the thread title.

In other news, I perfected my personal margarita recipe....
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:54 pm

ditchdoc wrote:but,but, but...more kool-aid please.
it's tin foil hat, dumbass. kool-aid is what hippies drink. get it straight.
III