About Time

Willi

About Time

Post by Willi » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:34 am

gadflyfisher

Re: About Time

Post by gadflyfisher » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:57 pm

That thar is commienism. Gubment giving handouts to the private sector. What the fuck is next health insurance?

Willi

Post by Willi » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:45 pm

Surprised Plow hasn't commented based on his past comment about nuclear power plants.

Willi

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:18 pm

President Barack Obama will announce next week loan guarantees for two new nuclear reactors,

Key words.............. loan guarantees. Unlike unfunded liabilities and more debt for free healthcare. Proven technology and industries that have greatly improved over the last three decades. These are strong investments, providing affordable energy for millions unlike ten of thousands of wind turbines and solar panels. If you read the entire article this legislation began under G.W. Bush, but thanks Willi for bringing it to the table.
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

Willi

Post by Willi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:04 pm

Overcast wrote: If you read the entire article this legislation began under G.W. Bush, but thanks Willi for bringing it to the table.
I read the whole article as well as several others.

"The Energy Policy Act of 2005, which passed under the Bush administration, authorized the Department of Energy to issue loan guarantees for projects that avoided, reduced or sequestered greenhouse gas emissions. But no new nuclear loan guarantees have been issued since that time."

Bush laid the means but didn't make any commitment to nuclear energy. This is the first commitment the Feds have made for nuclear power plants in MANY years.

I was interested in Plow's reaction because of his rants about the "liberals" and nuclear power plants and now Obama..................................

Not everything is partisan. Sometimes "you" have to evaluate things for what they are. IMO, increasing our nuclear power production is a good thing no matter who does it.

Willi

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Willi wrote: Not everything is partisan. Sometimes "you" have to evaluate things for what they are. IMO, increasing our nuclear power production is a good thing no matter who does it.

Willi

And I concur, that sound technology and use of nuclear power should be maximized throughout the United States, along with other proven energy sources such as natural gas. My point was seeing this as a government handout vs. a loan. The demand for electricity will likely never diminish and the return on the investment is sound. The issue of disposal will be the largest hurdle, but from what little research I've done it comes down to who's backyard not the methods currently being used.

Overcast
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~