Lovely Boulder, CO

Spudnik

Lovely Boulder, CO

Post by Spudnik » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:02 pm

West Chester posted this upstairs. I am super curious to see whatcha'll think.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... TopStories
Jeff Hohensee, a sustainability consultant, invested $125,000 in home-energy upgrades—though with rebates, his cost was $35,000—so his home uses only as much energy as solar panels on his roof produce. To spur neighbors to follow suit, he suggests the city measure every home's carbon footprint and publicize the results.
In 2006, Boulder voters approved the nation's first "carbon tax," now $21 a year per household, to fund energy-conservation programs. The city took out print ads, bought radio time, sent email alerts and promoted the campaign in city newsletters.

But Boulder's carbon emissions edged down less than 1% from 2006 through 2008, the most recent data available.

This one is my favorite!
City officials say most residents want to make these changes; they just never seem to get around to it. In a test run in a lower-income Boulder neighborhood, nearly 70% of homeowners accepted the free upgrades. "We want to take away the financial barrier and the hassle barrier," said Kara Mertz, the city's local environmental action manager.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

slavetotheflyrod

Re: Lovely Boulder, CO

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:21 pm

What does any of this have to do with anyone living outside the city limits of Boulder CO?

As you mentioned, WC already posted it upstairs, did you post it down here just so m.b. could see it and enlighten us all with his proprietary brand of intellectual discourse?

I can sum up my thoughts on the issue with two simple words - "So What?"
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:41 pm

So... Boulder, CO could be used as an example of what happens when a carbon tax is introduced - nothing in terms of emissions, just another tax.

One could say that it sheds a lot of light on a typical liberal mantra - Do as I say, not as I do.

You could also laugh at the fact that the gov't had to subsidize these people to "Go Green." Irony makes me laugh.

Don't get me wrong. I think cutting energy usage is an admirable goal. Its just funny how hypocritical this town appears to be.
This spring, city contractors will fan out across this well-to-do college town to unscrew light bulbs in thousands of homes and replace them with more energy-efficient models, at taxpayer expense.
Really? People is this town can't change their own lightbulbs?

"What we've found is that for the vast majority of people, it's exceedingly difficult to get them to do much of anything,"
They're overwhelmingly liberal. Are you surpised?

City officials say most residents want to make these changes; they just never seem to get around to it.
LMFAO.

Relying on voluntary action is "slow to show significant results," the city concluded in a report last fall that called for stepped-up regulation.
Shocker! The people can't do it themselves, so we need to gubmint to step in, regulate more, and get us moving!

Boulder, CO should set an example of exactly what not to do if you're trying to "Go Green." What a joke.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

gadflyfisher

Post by gadflyfisher » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Or is it that people don't have discretionary income for the project but given the means are eager to do it.

Maybe the tax was not high enough. Kinda like a persons life is worth a set amount so until the number of deaths makes the cost higher than the cost of the fix Pintos will explode on impact.

Plow

Post by Plow » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Just like the left, all talk, almost no action and never any results (that were intended). The solution to every failure is more taxes.

Never send the left to do something right especially uppity urban mountain hippie losers...
Better Reds than dead...

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:01 pm

gadflyfisher wrote:Or is it that people don't have discretionary income for the project but given the means are eager to do it.
Estimated median household income in 2008: $57,231 (it was $44,748 in 2000)

Boulder: $57,231
Colorado: $56,993

Estimated per capita income in 2008: $39,659

Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $530,100 (it was $272,200 in 2000)
Boulder: $530,100
Colorado: $242,200

gadflyfisher wrote: Maybe the tax was not high enough.
You're being serious, aren't you? More taxes will solve just about anything, huh?

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:04 pm

gadflyfisher wrote:Or is it that people don't have discretionary income for the project but given the means are eager to do it.
For lightbulbs. They don't have the discretionary income to change their lightbulbs? Really? Come on. Lightbulbs? Really.

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:20 pm

Let me take the opportunity to translate this.

Or is it that people don't have the discretionary income for the project but given the means are eager to do it.

people - bed-wetting liberals

discretionary income - any money they have left after buying hash and chai tea

project - changing lightbulbs

means - government employees getting paid taxpayer money to change lightbulbs

eager to do it - willing to sit around and smoke hash while gov't employees change their lightbulbs

Plow

Post by Plow » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:23 pm

How many liberals and how much of your tax dollars does it take to change a light bulb?
Better Reds than dead...

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Plow wrote:Just like the left, all talk, almost no action and never any results (that were intended). The solution to every failure is more taxes.

Never send the left to do something right especially uppity urban mountain hippie losers...
So explain to me just exactly why a fat assed, toothless, red neck, right wing, deep south cocksucker like yourself would give even the slightest bit of a fuck that a bunch of "uppity urban mountain hippie losers" pays a $21 a year local tax?

That's the beauty of this country,

don't wanna pay $21 a year to reduce your cities carbon footprint? - Don't move to Boulder
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:16 pm

slavetotheflyrod wrote:
don't wanna pay $21 a year to reduce your cities carbon footprint? - Don't move to Boulder
The $21 doesn't reduce your carbon footprint though...
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:44 pm

slavetotheflyrod wrote:
Plow wrote: That's the beauty of this country,

This statement offends me. Are you implying that I have to pay a tax to reduce my carbon footprint? I can't just use more energy efficient bulbs or insulate my home better without paying a tax?

Carbon footprint? When is someone going to address the real problem? If we reduce CO2 emissions substantially but continue to deforest the Amazon, one of the world's largest carbon sinks, what good is it? Carbon footprint is one of the hot words the media likes to use to get everyone stirred up into a frenzy.

There are bigger issues and concerns that need to be addressed before we should get serious about reducing carbon emissions. I would say potable water, consistent food sources for a growing global population, logically preparing for climate change, and the rapid loss of biodiversity are far more important in the immediate future than reducing carbon emissions by 1% in Boulder. Who knows, though?