Why we're fat

User avatar
m.b.
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 am
Location: U.S.-occupied Texas

Re: Why we're fat

Post by m.b. » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:11 pm

legit answers to the question you posed.... too bad you don't like the answer, but claiming the guy who answered your question correctly is retarded is not going to change anything.
III

User avatar
SLSS
Posts: 7001
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Home
Contact:

Re: Why we're fat

Post by SLSS » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:13 pm

The population is fat because we have a crazy convoluted food system that subsidizes many of the worst possible things for people to eat, and the population as a whole doesn't recognize what it healthy to eat anymore. Most of the burgers folks buy at fast food places, are slathered in shit and artificially flavored, and have all the calories we need for a whole day. And because so much of what we eat is very processed, it is somewhat predigested, and runs through the human system very quickly, leaving people hungry very quickly, so they eat again. More of the same calorie laden, over-processed shit, which leads people to eating way more than the recommended 1800 - 2200 calories/day they need, and they become fat.

Farm subsidies, lack of education, advertising, horrible quality food and any number of other factors contribute and make it a complex issue- one of the reasons I HATE simplistic pronouncements about what problems are, adn worse yet, how easy it is to solve. The symbiotic relationship between our government and corporate America is fucking all of us over, and won't be solved simply.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa


"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

User avatar
m.b.
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 am
Location: U.S.-occupied Texas

Re: Why we're fat

Post by m.b. » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:27 pm

SLSS wrote:The population is fat because we have a crazy convoluted food system that subsidizes many of the worst possible things for people to eat, and the population as a whole doesn't recognize what it healthy to eat anymore. Most of the burgers folks buy at fast food places, are slathered in shit and artificially flavored, and have all the calories we need for a whole day. And because so much of what we eat is very processed, it is somewhat predigested, and runs through the human system very quickly, leaving people hungry very quickly, so they eat again. More of the same calorie laden, over-processed shit, which leads people to eating way more than the recommended 1800 - 2200 calories/day they need, and they become fat.

Farm subsidies, lack of education, advertising, horrible quality food and any number of other factors contribute and make it a complex issue- one of the reasons I HATE simplistic pronouncements about what problems are, adn worse yet, how easy it is to solve. The symbiotic relationship between our government and corporate America is fucking all of us over, and won't be solved simply.
you're right. the only way you're gonna get people's attention and get them to eat right and exercise is by making them accountable (damn that's an inconvenient word for liberals) for their own health. how do you do that? you end government entitlement programs (which by their nature make people fat and lazy) and you make them pay for their own healthcare and health insurance.

can't afford the pricey premiums from private health insurance companies cuz you're a fat unhealthy slob and no one wants to insure at a normal rate? get your ass in shape and see what happens. sure, you may have to make some adjustments to your budget and lifestyle, but tough shit, we all have to do that.

the other valid point you made is lack of education. who currently educates the majority of Americans? and who (political persuasion and ideology), historically, has been in charge of/been running the public school systems that are failing to educate our citizens? (not that i think in any way, shape, or form that parents shouldn't be teaching/enforcing this instead of some school teacher.)

kinda ironic, isn't it?
III

User avatar
SLSS
Posts: 7001
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Home
Contact:

Re: Why we're fat

Post by SLSS » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:27 pm

m.b. wrote:you're right. the only way you're gonna get people's attention and get them to eat right and exercise is by making them accountable (damn that's an inconvenient word for liberals) for their own health. how do you do that? you end government entitlement programs (which by their nature make people fat and lazy) and you make them pay for their own healthcare and health insurance.

can't afford the pricey premiums from private health insurance companies cuz you're a fat unhealthy slob and no one wants to insure at a normal rate? get your ass in shape and see what happens. sure, you may have to make some adjustments to your budget and lifestyle, but tough shit, we all have to do that.
MB, if the playing field was level, I'd agree with you. But head into your average Walmart (only chosen as a gathering place of large numbers of people) and tell me you think everyone in there can figure it out for themselves. Before you go off on me about not thinking everyone is equal or equally responsible for themselves, I am just trying to be realistic. I don't think everyone can figure it out. I am stunned at the # of bright, educated people who eat horribly (both from personal interaction and my wife's obsession with Biggest Loser), from both a lack of awareness and how emotionally screwed up people and how it manifests itself in overeating. And there is a segment of the population that is never gonna have a clue. Should that be my problem? No, I have my own issues thanks , but it still means that obesity and the myriad health problems that come with it are a serious concern and expense here in the US ( and the rest of the world as we export our great food franchises). And as much as I wish they'd cover their own bill, it's not gonna happen, and one way or the other, the rest of us get hit with it. And I don't believe the market place will be of any help. That's where I think the government could be of use if we could ever get back to a government of the people, by the people, for the people.
m.b. wrote: the other valid point you made is lack of education. who currently educates the majority of Americans? and who (political persuasion and ideology), historically, has been in charge of/been running the public school systems that are failing to educate our citizens? (not that i think in any way, shape, or form that parents shouldn't be teaching/enforcing this instead of some school teacher.)

kinda ironic, isn't it?
As the father of three kids, I can honestly say that I have been impressed with all of about 5 teachers they've had. So, no, despite all the blathering you will hear from teachers unions, I'm not real impressed with our educations system. At the same time, I have over the course of several years, seen some very conservative school boards claim to have all the answers that turned out to not be the simple solutions they touted. But how often do you see anyone at their job that you think, Holy shit, are they ever good at that!!!! I'll give you my list- A woman making omelettes in Toronto, my friend Jeff in a kayak, Howard Cole fly casting, and a farrier I know working with horses. That's about it. So we muddle through. Libs, conservatives, those of us in the middle.

I honestly have no idea what the solution is. I get tired of hearing that we have the best education/healthcare/political system in the world when so many of the things I see everyday make me feel otherwise. I don't think we need to dominate the rest of the world, but we need to hold our own, and be ready for a shifting future.

On a whole other note- I'm curious- Have you given up knife and/or bull fighting? How on earth have you been disemboweled twice? Seems like once might have been enough.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa


"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

User avatar
West Chester
Posts: 4820
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Re: Why we're fat

Post by West Chester » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Hell now that we are on the topic of education.... The United States spends something like $62 Billion on education each year. ( I believe that came from the POTUS budget for 2010, but I may be wrong) That has got to be more than other countries spend.

Point is... In the United States we put the fertilizer on the weeds. In places such as China kids at a young age study to be at the top of their class so they have a chance at "high school" and then when they get there they study even harder for a chance to go to a college. China does not waste education dollars, they invest heavily in the smartest kids.

Can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink...
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

User avatar
m.b.
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 am
Location: U.S.-occupied Texas

Re: Why we're fat

Post by m.b. » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:54 pm

SLSS - have you traveled abroad at all? where to?

i'll send you a pm about the guts....
III

User avatar
stripstrike
Posts: 622
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:01 am
Location: Emerald City

Re: Why we're fat

Post by stripstrike » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:10 pm

We are fat because we eat too much shitty, over-processed food and don't exercise enough (I am not excluding myself from this category). The "Western Diet" (shitty, over-processed food) causes all kinds of problems of which obesity is only one symptom. Most of the western diseases (cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.) are statistically related to our diets. If BC is trying to say that the government is making us fat, he is only indirectly correct. At the end of the day, we are making ourselves fat by prioritizing price and convenience over quality - the goevernment is only helping by making the shittiest food cheaper. Supply and demand.
We all make choices about what we put into our bodies all the time. If one cannot see one's feet past one's abdomen, it's safe to say that you are likely making poor choices (or you have a genetic disorder and are being selected out of the gene pool). Anyone who thinks that the government is really watching out for our health in this regard is delusional. Adjusting or eliminating subsidies will do nothing to change our fatness. If the two charts somehow matched each other, we would still be fat.
I don't know what the solution is, but I am certain that whatever it is, it will not come from science, the government or, especially, the food industry. Most likely source? Common fucking sense - and good luck finding that at Walmart.

If you can get past this guy's ghey accent/lisp, this is worth a watch - if you care about what you eat.
http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver.html
"No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world shits on everybody. Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist." Justin's dad

User avatar
SLSS
Posts: 7001
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Home
Contact:

Re: Why we're fat

Post by SLSS » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:17 pm

m.b. wrote:SLSS - have you traveled abroad at all? where to?

i'll send you a pm about the guts....
Not much- Canada, Scotland, England. I made a boo-boo years ago that's kept me stranded. Just about done with the stranding (I hope), and hope to remedy the travel experience in a few years, though my wife and I disagree on the where- she'd choose culture, I'd choose wilderness. So in terms of seeing what works other places, nope.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa


"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

User avatar
Back Eddy
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:57 pm
Location: 303

Re: Why we're fat

Post by Back Eddy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Plow wrote: Demand for salads is low and only on the menu to appease the libs.
pardon? salads are only on the menu to appease liberals? Plow - you have no credibility after typing this ridiculous statement!

User avatar
SLSS
Posts: 7001
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Home
Contact:

Re: Why we're fat

Post by SLSS » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:29 pm

stripstrike wrote: I don't know what the solution is, but I am certain that whatever it is, it will not come from science, the government or, especially, the food industry. Most likely source? Common fucking sense - and good luck finding that at Walmart.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/0 ... -eat-food/

http://www.michaelpollan.com/omnivore.php

Great, common sense stuff. Two of my favorite food rules from Pollan-

If your grandmother wouldn't recognize it, don't eat it.

If it's advertised on television, don't eat it.

I'm not giving up the beer, though. I figure it costs me a few hours of exercise/week. :cool
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa


"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

User avatar
Plow
Posts: 5058
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Deep South Port Isabel to the Keys

Re: Why we're fat

Post by Plow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Back Eddy wrote:
Plow wrote: Demand for salads is low and only on the menu to appease the libs.
pardon? salads are only on the menu to appease liberals? Plow - you have no credibility after typing this ridiculous statement!
OK then, it's also on the menu to appease gay fucks who only find one sentence in that post not credible.
Better Reds than dead...

User avatar
SLSS
Posts: 7001
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Home
Contact:

Re: Why we're fat

Post by SLSS » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Plow- eat your veggies, salad and all, and you'll be healthier. And maybe not so damn grumpy.

The more color, the better they are for you. Very convenient for a colorful guy like myself.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa


"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests