Patrick Kennedy

Overcast

Re: Patrick Kennedy

Post by Overcast » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:30 am

gadflyfisher wrote:Google navy search and rescue. Any place, any time. It is part of what they do.
Being the son of a former Navy frogger, during the Korean War, I'm fully aware of the responsibilities of the United States Navy. Can you say that if you were involved in similar accident, that the same resources would have been utilized to locate you? Not even remotely possible! Even President Clinton came under fire for his decisions. I don't take any satisfaction in his tragic death or the others, but in both your mind and ditchdoc's the Kennedy's are the exception. At any cost.

The unprecedented interagency effort to recover the bodies and wreckage of a private plane flown by a private citizen is testament to the deep symbolism and historical importance that many Americans attach to the Kennedy name. The effort also has raised questions about whether other private citizens would receive similar treatment. President Clinton, who is close to the Kennedy family, defended the effort at a news conference today and said he had spoken with Navy officials Monday about whether the search should continue. The officials believed they could succeed with more time, and Clinton recounted today that he told them "I would support and defend" a decision to continue.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/na ... 072299.htm
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

gadflyfisher

Post by gadflyfisher » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:37 am

And the same effort wouldn't be given if Bill Gates went missing the same way?

shunned

Post by shunned » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:43 am

what I bring to the table.jpg
what I bring to the table.jpg (48.42 KiB) Viewed 402 times
oh, right...
I'll get me coat.
the depths of your narcissism never cease to amaze me

-raffa of all fucking people

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:12 am

Overcast, you of all people (being that you live in AK) should know as well as anyone that the military pretty regularly gets involved in Search and Rescues of private citizens. When someone goes missing in AK, what's the first thing that happens? It usually involves a USAF C-130 taking off from Elmdorf. Here in CO, we use Army Helo's from Carson all the time for SAR.
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:01 am

As a final comment on this subject--we pay for the military. So, what better use of stateside personnel and equipment is there? Our military is for our safety and protection. And yes, the Kennedy family has a special place in many citizen's hearts, but that has diminished over the years. The family has lost most of it's icons.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

MTgrayling
Location: ...down river from you when steelheading; releasing a whitefish above you when the trout are on...

Post by MTgrayling » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:03 am

The guys got a great point.
Ryan found his way out; your escape awaits...

Let there be HIGH water!

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:45 am

slavetotheflyrod wrote:Overcast, you of all people (being that you live in AK) should know as well as anyone that the military pretty regularly gets involved in Search and Rescues of private citizens. When someone goes missing in AK, what's the first thing that happens? It usually involves a USAF C-130 taking off from Elmdorf. Here in CO, we use Army Helo's from Carson all the time for SAR.

Actually Slave, you are incorrect it is situational and regional. Here in southeast all calls go through Coast Guard Sitka and they respond with aircraft and other resources cutters and smaller quick response vessels are dispatched from here and other coastal communities. In Kodiak of course we have I believe the second largest Coast Guard base in the US where the coasties have C-130's and the most beautiful J-hawks. I am aware that all resources of the military including Elmendorf AFB can be utilized with regard to the proximity and resources available to them. Each year in Alaska both residents and non-residents go missing never to be rescued or recovered. Alaskan's particularly around our coastal areas rely mostly on each other. This wasn't to meant to attach blame or praise any military branch but the extraordinary and unprecedented use of resources to find three people. We love the coasties and I have a couple close personal friends that I hope never have to look for me. Enough, I have to work.

Did I mention wolves killed a young school teacher up north. Probably state troops and fish and game are sorting this one out. PA girl, 32 years of age and less than five feet. Sucks, she was there less than a week to teach special ed. I'll let the rest of you fight this one.

http://www.adn.com/2010/03/09/1175725/w ... lager.html
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:55 am

Overcast wrote:
slavetotheflyrod wrote:Overcast, you of all people (being that you live in AK) should know as well as anyone that the military pretty regularly gets involved in Search and Rescues of private citizens. When someone goes missing in AK, what's the first thing that happens? It usually involves a USAF C-130 taking off from Elmdorf. Here in CO, we use Army Helo's from Carson all the time for SAR.

Actually Slave, you are incorrect it is situational and regional. Here in southeast all calls go through Coast Guard Sitka and they respond with aircraft and other resources cutters and smaller quick response vessels are dispatched from here and other coastal communities. In Kodiak of course we have I believe the second largest Coast Guard base in the US where the coasties have C-130's and the most beautiful J-hawks. I am aware that all resources of the military including Elmendorf AFB can be utilized with regard to the proximity and resources available to them. Each year in Alaska both residents and non-residents go missing never to be rescued or recovered. Alaskan's particularly around our coastal areas rely mostly on each other. This wasn't to meant to attach blame or praise any military branch but the extraordinary and unprecedented use of resources to find three people. We love the coasties and I have a couple close personal friends that I hope never have to look for me. Enough, I have to work.

Did I mention wolves killed a young school teacher up north. Probably state troops and fish and game are sorting this one out. PA girl, 32 years of age and less than five feet. Sucks, she was there less than a week to teach special ed. I'll let the rest of you fight this one.

http://www.adn.com/2010/03/09/1175725/w ... lager.html
I understand what you're saying, and you have a pretty good handle on the way things work up there. I'm only making the point that Military resources are used all the time ofr search and rescue efforts. Remember the plane crash off of Long Island a few years back? It was U.S. Navy dive teams that recovered not only the bodies, but most of the wreckage. I'm with you 100% on the Coasties - those guys are the shit, and I'm glad to have em looking out for us.
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:26 pm

It is a kind of weird deal, but the USCG is actually not part of the DOD, it falls under the Dept. of Homeland Security. Unless they are working in service of the Navy.
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:27 pm

I do not like even using the term "Dept. of Homeland Security" USCG pre 9/11 was controlled bt the Dept. of Treasury. They have a different rank/pay structure than the rest of the military. That said they drink just as hard if not harder, and played a key part in "D" Day... PJ's Para Jumpers are their elite force... and they are as bad ass as any other elite force. :cool
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

eponymous

Post by eponymous » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:11 pm

I Patches' name was Patrick Smith we would never have heard of him unless you read the part of the paper that lists DUI convictions. Jus' sayin'. :coffee
"Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel, not just to be as good as someone else but to be better than someone else. This is the nature of man and the name of the game." Ted Williams