Cartoon thread

BigCliff

Cartoon thread

Post by BigCliff » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:09 pm

I've always enjoyed political cartoons way to make a point succinctly and provoke examination of an issue as well.

Like this one-

edit- "lacking gov't oversight" should be replaced with "due to crappy gov't oversight"
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

m.b.

Re: Cartoon thread

Post by m.b. » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:59 pm

wow.

i can remember a time when people where ashamed to admit they were big government liberals. now they crack jokes and make cartoons about it. awesome...
III

Rusty Hook

Post by Rusty Hook » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:16 am

We all miss the days of sweatshops, racial segregation, and tainted meat that big government stole from us. Life was a lot more interesting back then.
The virtues are lost in self-interest as rivers are lost in the sea.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:10 pm

yeah, back when people were self-sufficient and didn't rely on daddy the government for everything...back when they could make good decisions, keep themselves out of trouble, and weren't like a bunch of children that never grew up and won't take responsibility for themselves or their actions.

but that was back when the country wasn't broke, we had good leadership (for the most part), and we still led the world in every single aspect, field, etc.

i miss it those days too, but i don't remember anyone working in a sweatshop in the US, any racial segregation, or any "tainted meat" (whatever that means). that must have happened before my time.
III

Trucha Del Mar

Post by Trucha Del Mar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:31 pm

m.b. wrote:yeah, back when people were self-sufficient and didn't rely on daddy the government for everything...back when they could make good decisions, keep themselves out of trouble, and weren't like a bunch of children that never grew up and won't take responsibility for themselves or their actions.
Jeremiah Johnson for President general role model.
JJ.jpg
JJ.jpg (63.79 KiB) Viewed 7039 times
"You've come far pilgrim - Were it worth the trouble?""
Last edited by Trucha Del Mar on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goin' back to Houston, do the hot dog dance. Goin' back to Houston, to get me some pants.

The sheepshead fish has human teeth, but it's OK because it won't give you a psychedelic crisis.

bring your own lampshade, somewhere there's a party...

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:38 pm

I'd vote for em'

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:59 pm

What about this guy...was he "self'sufficient" enough for yall?

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:10 pm

Just another progressive.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:26 pm

m.b. wrote:wow.

i can remember a time when people where ashamed to admit they were big government liberals. now they crack jokes and make cartoons about it. awesome...
m.b. wrote:yeah, back when people were self-sufficient and didn't rely on daddy the government for everything...back when they could make good decisions, keep themselves out of trouble, and weren't like a bunch of children that never grew up and won't take responsibility for themselves or their actions.

but that was back when the country wasn't broke, we had good leadership (for the most part), and we still led the world in every single aspect, field, etc.

i miss it those days too, but i don't remember anyone working in a sweatshop in the US, any racial segregation, or any "tainted meat" (whatever that means). that must have happened before my time.
My remaining grandfather is one of the best men this world has ever known. He served in the Navy during WWII, directed church choirs, raised two fine children, and exhibits the finest example I have ever witnessed of self control: doesn't drink a bit, never swears, and deserves to have his picture next to the term "southern gentleman" in the encyclopedia.

He's in his 80's. He spent many years with an energy company and had a hard earned retirement pkg in the form of stock. He's still working because that company was later bought by Enron and his retirement pkg evaporated because of what those f'rs did.

He's the most courteous man I've ever known, and I think he would smack you upside the head with a shovel if he heard you say that shit.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:55 pm

tell him to bring it, bitch.

seriously, bring him over here and i'll tell him that and few more thoughts about where this country's going and about the googans running it and we'll see what he says. bring your dad over too. we'll videotape it so everyone can see what they say.

i'll have my father there too. the same shit happened to him...watched his net worth practically evaporate, but he ain't crying for daddy the government to come bail him out/save him. he can add his two cents about this cluster-fuck obama/pelosi/reid have gotten us into too. i had something similar happen to me (although not on such a grand scale) at the place i worked ~10 years back. i'll tell you that story when you bring them over.

fuck you and your holier-than-thou libtard mentality.

the best part about all this is you still don't comprehend the fact that the government can't cure all our problems and all the wrongs in the world, no matter how much taxpayer money they waste trying.
III

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:46 am

SOBF wrote:Image
Just another progressive.
But that wasnt my question; you posted JJ and suggested his self-sufficiency would bring a different attitude to the Fed. I agree. The reason I posted TR is he was undeniably the most self-sufficient of all our 20th century presidents, from that perspective he was a badass. However, as you point out, TR certainly was not a conservative. So why would you think that another radically independent guy like JJ wouldnt shake things up just as much as TR did a century ago? I see no reason to think he wouldnt be just as jaded about the "establishment" as TR was, if not more, and would likely use his power to right percieved wrongs. I doubt that would add up to the conservative wet dream of tax cuts for the rich, banning abortion and gay marraige, and deregulation. Ergo, prolly just another progressive with a potentially radical agenda such as destroying corporatism...kinda like TR did a century ago.

eponymous

Post by eponymous » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Up:

What would you postulate was TRs position on abortion? Gay marriage? Tax cuts in general? Just because he was not a corporations guy and did big time things for the national parks/environment does not make him a progressive. (Just as being against something like gay marriage makes you a conservative. I belive our current president is not in the affirmative for gay marriage for example.) That would be remaking history.

caveat that I have not read this thread in detail. sitting in the airport wasting time before a flight. you may have adressed this already. apologies if I missed it.
"Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel, not just to be as good as someone else but to be better than someone else. This is the nature of man and the name of the game." Ted Williams