Tsunami no/little looting. Thoughts?

BigCliff

Re: Tsunami no/little looting. Thoughts?

Post by BigCliff » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:05 pm

x2 peetso

Japan is one of the most orderly societies on the planet.

Haiti is one of the least.

Knowing that, the reaction to the chaos of a massive earthquake is pretty much what one would expect.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:10 pm

Wanting to know why looting occurs in some places after a disaster and not in others is valid, (and it certainly does not make you a rascist) but you probably shouldn't draw too many conclusions from it about race. It does however have alot to do with culture and society

The Japanese culture is one where the majority people are fairly well off, and the "need" or even "want" to steal property is probably fairly foreign to them. So even when the opportunity presents itself they don't consider it.

The Haitian culture is one of poverty and third world exisistence and the "need' to survive and "want" to acquire property probably is an everyday thought. So when an opportunity presents itself to acquire/steal property, they do.
I didn't draw any conclusions about race at all. I simply asked for thoughts. I guess I should have stipulated well thought out thoughts not just emotion. I agree with your comments Peetso.

Plow

Post by Plow » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:38 pm

BigCliff wrote:x2 peetso

Haiti and New Orleans are two of the least.

Knowing that, the reaction to the chaos of a massive earthquake is pretty much what one would expect.
Fixed.

The same culture that makes it OK to loot also makes it's people poor.
Better Reds than dead...

deerfly

Post by deerfly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Plow wrote:The same culture that makes it OK to loot also makes it's people poor.
succinct brilliance, may or may not be your original thoughts, but the timing was perfect like a 120' cast. :cool
porcupines are normally peaceful creatures, but Dog saw fit to give them quills

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:24 pm

succinct brilliance, may or may not be your original thoughts, but the timing was perfect like a 120' cast
More fucking racist !!!! I knew the Drake was not a fishing site ,but an Arian Nation site in disguise....fucking frauds

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Plow wrote:
BigCliff wrote:x2 peetso

Haiti and New Orleans are two of the least.

Fixed.

Hmmm. Is that culture you speak of the same southeast culture that embraced slavery in the same way the same colonists treated the slaves they dumped off in Haiti? I'd be careful with your logic....your black neighbors' great great grandfather did not come over to the states because he "wanted to". And the same for black haitians. And Haiti is not commie....they are just completely corrupt and dysfunctional; which on any given day, we can find the same corruption and thievery in the states by turning on the tube or reading the paper. Perhaps you're thinking of the French...they have been in Haiti, and the french culture obviously had it's footprint in N.O. But I doubt you're talking about the French...
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT

peetso

Post by peetso » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Plow wrote: Fixed.

Or is it . . the same culture that makes it's people poor makes it OK to loot?
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:42 pm

peetso wrote:
Plow wrote: Fixed.

Or is it . . the same culture that makes it's people poor makes it OK to loot?
A much more accurate scenario! :cool
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:43 pm

A much more accurate scenario!
Fucking racist !! Just kidding !!

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Ya got me!!! Seriously though, framing the sentance that way removes any perceived racism notions as there are poor eastern europeans, and poor white kids looking to rob pharmacies in Vermont and Maine for Oxy! I knew you did not imply this was a "black" thing; but on this board, things "morph" pretty quick. It's all about dignity....culturally and leadership-wise. You care for who you are and what you represent as part of a community...you'll do good.
In Christchurch, we've had some minor looting and such as you'd expect, but the gov't had a BRILLIANT idea to counter it: they threatened to NAME them all over the news and the papers and essentially put a scarlet letter on the theives. Since then, things have quieted down. So, in NZ, the level of dignity even of the thieves was measuable: "we'll go in and take that TV thru the broken store window; oh wait, we're not gonna if everyone in my town, friends and family and the whole country will know my name if I get caught..." Wouldn't work likely in the states as lawyers would get involved on civil rights b.s.
Then you take the meth-head in the states, they have no dignity obviously, and in turn they are no better than black, white, yellow, brown,etc. when it comes to doing the right thing(s)... :cool

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:12 pm

JDub...show me the money !!! I'm a racist and I want to come clean...prove your point fuckwad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should I cue

the crickets ?? ASSHOLE accusing me I want some proof.... ain't happinin' is it.....LOSER

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:32 pm

You guys are all wrong to one degree or another.

The biggest single reason there's no looting at present and very little crime in general in Japan is the level of respect for the law that the Japanese people have. With conviction rates just a shade under a hundred percent in the Japanese justice system and long prison terms for even minor crimes it isn't any wonder why. If you had even the slightest inkling that you might spend a decade in prison for looting after a disaster like this, you'd think twice.
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA