Can't pass the test then you can't vote...

Plow

Can't pass the test then you can't vote...

Post by Plow » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:45 pm

...or teach.
NEWSWEEK gave 1,000 Americans the U.S. Citizenship Test--38 percent failed.
The country's future is imperiled by our ignorance.
Link

Number one incorrect answer by dems was there are 114 Senators.

Wasn't that the democrats plan all along? Keep 'em dumb, keep 'em voting democrat. How else can Pelosi be explained?
Better Reds than dead...

VTNZ

Re: Can't pass the test then you can't vote...

Post by VTNZ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:31 am

This is actually a really well done article that really should give all of us some thought about where our perceptions lie versus reality. That said, I fail to see how this article in any way shape or form implies any partisan favoritism one way or the other. And I'll be the house if you want to look at the same sort of educational standards these tests used, you'd find the red states have a far lower education rating. So, who's keeping who dumb?
Very good article though!
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT

gadflyfisher

Post by gadflyfisher » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:15 am

Could be a tough test to pass since the first question up was WHEN WAS THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE ADOPTED.
There answer of course was july 4 1776.
BUT independence was voted on on July2 1776.
The written declaration was July 4 1776.
That written declaration wasn't signed until Aug 2 1776.

Plow which is the right answer to the question #1?

Question 2 was what happenened at the continental congress.
Doesn't specify first or second continental congress.
How can such a badly written question be aswered?

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:48 am

VTNZ wrote:This is actually a really well done article that really should give all of us some thought about where our perceptions lie versus reality. That said, I fail to see how this article in any way shape or form implies any partisan favoritism one way or the other.
This one does though-
In most cases those who had greater levels of exposure to news sources had lower levels of misinformation. There were, however, a number of cases where greater exposure to a particular news source increased misinformation on some issues.

Those who watched Fox News almost daily were significantly more likely than those who never watched it to believe that most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely), most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points), the economy is getting worse (26 points), most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points), the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points), their own income taxes have gone up (14 points), the auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points), when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points) and that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points). The effect was also not simply a function of partisan bias, as people who voted Democratic and watched Fox News were also more likely to have such misinformation than those who did not watch it--though by a lesser margin than those who voted Republican.
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/ ... nt=671&lb=

But sure, its Dems that want folks kept in the dark...
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Plow

Post by Plow » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:55 pm

gadflyfisher wrote:Could be a tough test to pass since the first question up was WHEN WAS THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE ADOPTED.
There answer of course was july 4 1776.
BUT independence was voted on on July2 1776.
The written declaration was July 4 1776.
That written declaration wasn't signed until Aug 2 1776.

Plow which is the right answer to the question #1?

Question 2 was what happenened at the continental congress.
Doesn't specify first or second continental congress.
How can such a badly written question be aswered?
So the test is the problem, why didn’t I see that right off the bat? Maybe we should grade on the curve.

Take a look at all the easy questions and tell me a complete dumb-ass shouldn’t make an 80 or 90.
Better Reds than dead...

Rusty Hook

Post by Rusty Hook » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Literacy tests were banned in 1965 under the Voting Rights Act because of their use, most notably in the Old South, in disenfranchising minority voters.
The virtues are lost in self-interest as rivers are lost in the sea.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Literacy tests were banned in 1965 under the Voting Rights Act because of their use, most notably in the Old South, in disenfranchising minority voters.
That may have been record time pulling out the race card. JDub you need to keep your buzzer closer.

jdub

Post by jdub » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:46 pm

SOBF wrote:
That may have been record time pulling out the race card. JDub you need to keep your buzzer closer.
Sorry I'm slow but I'm still a bit flummoxed that Plow reads Tina Brown's rag....

If we stopped all stupid people from voting, who would be left to punch the ballot? Maybe I could get the job of setting the cutoff....
"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown

http://utahstreamaccess.org/

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Maybe I could get the job of setting the cutoff....
I'd vote against you since you could offer no proof to your accusation of my racist tendencies. You credibility seems dubious to me.

Plow

Post by Plow » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:55 pm

BigCliff wrote: This one does though-
In most cases those who had greater levels of exposure to news sources had lower levels of misinformation. There were, however, a number of cases where greater exposure to a particular news source increased misinformation on some issues, bla, bla, bla...
What that says is if you don't believe like us then you're getting misinformation. That's rich Cliff. What ever happened to y'all just not getting your message out?

Love how everything's so very carefully worded. If Obama care doesn't raise the deficit it will be because tax payers are paying out the ass for it and other taxes.

Most economist didn't catch the .com or housing bust BTW.
Last edited by Plow on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better Reds than dead...

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:59 pm

SOBF wrote:
How is stating a simple fact explaining why something's relevant to the matter at hand "playing the race card"?

I constantly amused and perplexed by how much of the current right-wing mindset is proclivity to playing the victim and jumping to conclusions.

Someone mentions a racial issue, and even if its legit, they're "playing the race card!"

A ruling comes down that Phyllis Schlafly doesn't like and its "legislating from the bench!"

Its like, "OOH! OOH! WHAT CONCLUSION CAN I JUMP TO THAT HAS A MATCHING CLICHED BUZZWORD?!?!"

I'm not saying the left does no such thing, but I'm just baffled by how all of y'all's complaints can either be boiled down to machosim or whining.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Plow wrote:
BigCliff wrote: This one does though-
In most cases those who had greater levels of exposure to news sources had lower levels of misinformation. There were, however, a number of cases where greater exposure to a particular news source increased misinformation on some issues, bla, bla, bla...
What that says is if you don't believe like us then you're getting misinformation. That's rich Cliff. What ever happened to y'all just not getting your message out?

Love how everything's so very carefully worded. If Obama care doesn't raise the deficit it will be because tax payers are paying out the ass for it and other taxes.

Most economist didn't catch the .com or housing bust BTW.
And this perspective right here, is why the Media and our society is so polorized. Nowadays there are "facts"; and then there are "my opinion, blinding the facts." How can you argue with the fact that if taxes didn't go up; and they haven't on the federal income level; how a certain % of the populace who chooses to get their "news" from a particular network, seems to think more than the general populace that somehow income taxes did go up?!?! Man, talk about putting ones head in the sand. This isn't about economists predicting squat; the article uses economists and the factual numbers as compared to the belief/perception of Faux News viewers...
Oh yea, I hope you're not living in a glass house.... .COM?!? I thought you wanted to me to only give you evidence of R lies and deception in the 21st century? Pot meet kettle.... and I know plenty of folks in both of those sectors who predicted both would crash (as they have to if one understands capitolistic economic principles (notably that earth shattering revelation that all that goes up must come down at some point to find true equilibrium)....they just aren't in a position to have swayed the american consumer and the banking giants from putting folks in $375k houses with a 65k salary....
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT