By Mattb
Seems like something all the deficit hawks ought to be able to get behind:

Al Franken:
"We have to ensure that Iraq and Afghanistan remain anomalies in American history," Franken said on the Senate floor Wednesday. "And that's what my resolution seeks to do. It will ensure that future wars don't make our deficit and debt problem worse. It will ensure that Congress and American citizens must face the financial sacrifice of going to war. And it will force us to decide whether a war is worth that sacrifice."
"In the last ten years our wars have been paid for by borrowing," Franken said. "The Iraq War was accompanied by a massive tax cut. That failed fiscal experiment created the impression that war requires no financial sacrifice. We know that is just not true. The question is who will bear the financial sacrifice, the generation that has decided to go to war or its children and grandchildren?"
Thoughts?
By Plow
Let's not limit it to just war. No more credit for anything, period. That's called a balanced budget BTW which I'm sure we can all agree on (well maybe not Al).
By SOBF
Let's not limit it to just war. No more credit for anything, period. That's called a balanced budget BTW which I'm sure we can all agree on
Agreed with one caveat....I would be okay going to war on credit if it was a situation similar to WW2...doubt that will ever happen again but you never know
By blumpkin
Does this include when a Harvard law type
That has never served In the military
Commits our military to acts of war
Against a country that poses no threat
To the citizens of the United States
At a cost of Billions of dollars
And calls it a "kinetic military action" ???
By Salty
Umm, because kinetic military operation is what JP 3-0 and FM 3-0 use doctrinally to describe the type of operation we are conducting in Libya.

...but it wasn't quite over. I rode out with Rudd[…]

Rust Belt 2019

He did....with my camera!! And my fish :gun

Winter steelhead fly swap 2019

when do i get my goddamn flies. is what im wonderi[…]

Peeing off the porch....TR

One of these days id like to experience such an av[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine