Obamacare

Mr.Stephens

Re: Obamacare

Post by Mr.Stephens » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:30 pm

1.3 million to have Richard Simmons dance away the problems, and convince you to get C.O.V.E.R.E.D.

LTD

Post by LTD » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:18 pm

A projected 2 million more unemployed come 2017 as a result of obamacare.......right on! I sure hope those 2 million people can afford the affordable health care act. I wonder what % of that 2 million voted for obama.
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:53 pm

LTD wrote:A projected 2 million more unemployed come 2017 as a result of obamacare.......right on! I sure hope those 2 million people can afford the affordable health care act. I wonder what % of that 2 million voted for obama.
Wrong- "The CBO projects that the act will reduce the supply of labor, not the availability of jobs. There's a big difference. In fact, it suggests that aggregate demand for labor (that is, the number of jobs) will increase, not decrease; but that many workers or would-be workers will be prompted by the ACA to leave the labor force, many of them voluntarily...

the CBO estimates that on balance, the ACA will increase aggregate demand for goods and services, in part by relieving lower-income people of the burden of health insurance or healthcare expenses, so they can increase their spending on other things. In turn, that will "boost demand for labor," especially in the near term, while the economy remains slack."

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik ... z2sO94DSsI

An increase in aggregate demand means things will improve for those of us who still want to work, because those who would prefer to no longer work are now more able to leave the labor force and retain health insurance.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

LTD

Post by LTD » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:42 pm

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cbo-obama ... 56476.html

The Congressional Budget Office on Tuesday said that the Affordable Care Act will contribute to the equivalent of 2 million workers out of the labor market by 2017, as employees work fewer hours or decide to drop out of the labor force entirely.

Your right Cliff... "Unemployed" was the wrong choice of words. My bad....Now do you want to tell us how having the equivalent of 2 million out of the labor force is a good thing? Can you find some good in the above statement? I need some spin brother...

You also left this little tidbit out:

" Although CBO projects that total employment (and compensation) will increase over the coming decade, that increase will be smaller than it would have been in the absence of the ACA," the CBO said in the report.

I'll pretend right along with you that this is a good thing if you want Cliff....
Last edited by LTD on Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

jdub

Post by jdub » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:53 pm

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
President Obama’s healthcare law will reduce the ranks of the uninsured by roughly 13 million this year and 25 million once the law is fully phased in, but will also result in the equivalent of 2-million people reducing their work hours because of the availability of insurance subsidies, the Congressional Budget Office said Tuesday.
Republicans seized on the projected reduction in work hours, roughly a 1% to 2% decline, to boost their claim that Obamacare will harm the economy.

Democrats pointed to another section of the report which forecast that the law’s so-called risk-corridors provision, which Republicans have denounced as a taxpayer “bailout” of insurance companies, would save the government $8 billion over the next decade. The provision at issue is intended to equalize the risk that insurers face if some end up with a less healthy assortment of consumers than others.

The CBO finding that the risk-corridors provision will save money could complicate GOP efforts to push for its repeal.

The latest report also repeats previous CBO estimates that the law will reduce the government’s long-term deficits by about $1 trillion over the next 10 years as the costs of its subsidies are offset by new taxes and cost reductions elsewhere in the health system.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow ... z2sOOwDucZ
Oh shit, it's going to trim the deficit, too? Fucking swiss army knife of a law.
"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown

http://utahstreamaccess.org/

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:53 pm

LTD wrote:Your right Cliff... "Unemployed" was the wrong choice of words. My bad....Now do you want to tell us how having the equivalent of 2 million out of the labor force is a good thing? Can you find some good in the above statement? I need some spin brother....
Having folks out of the labor force who were only in it to keep health insurance means there will be more money and opportunities available for the rest of us.

To use a metaphor- This team would have a better chance of winning the race if the guy in back would hop off-

Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:09 pm

yes, beyond seniors working primarily for insurance, you also have folks who will try and start their own businesses now that the individual market isn't so fucked up as to be a barrier to entry into any line of business like it has been for someone with pre-existing conditions. I think they count that person as having "left the workforce" as well.

LTD

Post by LTD » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:13 pm

BigCliff wrote:
LTD wrote:Your right Cliff... "Unemployed" was the wrong choice of words. My bad....Now do you want to tell us how having the equivalent of 2 million out of the labor force is a good thing? Can you find some good in the above statement? I need some spin brother....
Having folks out of the labor force who were only in it to keep health insurance means there will be more money and opportunities available for the rest of us.

To use a metaphor- This team would have a better chance of winning the race if the guy in back would hop off-

hmmmmm......would that apply to welfare and extending unemployment? (just for starts) One would think having more people in the work force, off unemployment and off the gov tit might improve the economy and provide more money and opportunities for others. WTF do I know...?

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:47 am

Y'all are crazy. I wasn't sure how this was going to work, but now I'm sort of sold on it.

I signed up for Obamacare. They was gonna tax me if I didn't. But, I'm also an independent contractor and fairly good at my taxes. Turns out I made just within 133% of the poverty level in 2013. IRAs are your friend. For those of you who are familiar with Obamacare, what that means is that I qualify for the maximum premium tax subsidy, the maximum out-of-pocket subsidy, and the maximum shared cost subsidy. Trifecta!

You need to be within 100% to 133% of poverty level to hit all three at maximum levels, fyi.

So, what I did is chose the plan with the absolute highest deductible and lowest premiums that was available to me. Because of the maximum out-of-pocket subsidy, I will never pay more than $2,000 of the $10,000 deductible my plan is supposed to have. They really overlooked that one, cause that saved me about $75/month in premiums. Also, I will only pay up to $250 in copays per year. Once I hit that level, all of the copays above and beyond that level are picked up by the shared cost subsidy. Not that it matters, actually, cause I get $200 of my $218 monthly premium paid for by the premium tax subsidy. So, here is my 28 year old "young invincible" ass, paying $18 a month with a maximum of $250 in copays and maximum total out of pocket at ~$2K.

Does anyone agree that people like me will bankrupt this system? This is simply unsustainable. It's a fucking pipe dream. I'm supposed to be the one funding this - my generation. I bet they can't even process my fucking paperwork for the $216 in premiums they'll get from me this year.

It's broken. It is so broken its laughable, but not really.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

tailchaser

Post by tailchaser » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:33 am

I'm just pissed I have to have health insurance.

I don't want it, I don't need it and shouldn't be forced to support multibillion dollar corporations.

It's fucking bullshit.
"Most of my money I spent on whiskey and women. The rest I just wasted." locogringo

"Fishing and whores... 99 percent of my brain activity." Blumpkin

Plow

Post by Plow » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:25 pm

I'm dumbfounded by the board's lefties obamacare excuse making. It knows no bounds. Can't wait for a repub to get in office and accountability enters into the y'alls vocabulary again.
Better Reds than dead...

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:12 am

Plow wrote:I'm dumbfounded by the board's lefties obamacare excuse making. It knows no bounds. Can't wait for a repub to get in office and accountability enters into the y'alls vocabulary again.
Laughable. Sometimes it sounds like you are getting there. Other times not so much...
What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure.
Accountability...every mofo in that town could use a heaping dose.