Do you like this one as well Plow?
A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 80% of Likely U.S. Voters believe a child who is brought here illegally but later earns a college degree or serves honorably in the military should be given a chance to obtain U.S. citizenship. Just 10% disagree, while 10% are not sure. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... itizenship
B.M. Barrelcooker wrote:I agree with the service part of it. Just earning a degree though? Not totally against it . I'd go for it if the voter I.D. thing went thru.
Why not with the degree? The argument about illegal immigrants has been that they are a drain on resources and cost us money. If someone has proven that they are a capable skilled worker with intent of gainful employment, then why would we turn our back to potential tax payers? Or send skilled workers, trained in our country, to other countries?
Who is to say that military service is going to translate into longterm employment? A great deal of military veterans come home with no job skills or mental/physical disabilities that make it difficult to find employment. It would be great to honor their courage with citizenship, but that hasn't been the point of the immigration debate. It's always been about how it effects our economy. So with that being said, who statistically has a higher chance of longterm employment a) a military veteran with no degree or b) a college graduate? I would say that college graduates are far more likely to find employment, but I think they both should be able to become citizens.

I see what you're saying, but I believe that someone completing a 4 year degree is about as strong as a sign that they wont be a drain on our economy as anything. There are a ton of dumb ass degrees, but most degrees statistically skyrocket the likilyhood of employment. It also shows that the immigrant can learn english, accomplish long term goals and are interested in bettering themselves. It's a win-win in my opinion.
B.M. Barrelcooker wrote:I have to show ID to buy a pair of shoes with my credit card....whats the big deal about voter id?
Because there isn't widespread voter fraud and its an attempt to keep several demographics who typically vote D from being able to vote.

What's next, poll taxes and literacy tests?
I think it's been thought through by a lot of people. They just don't happen to be the people in Washington screaming "build a wall" or "let 'em all in".

I worked for a guy who had a PhD in engineering, was the director of engineering at the company, knew every process top to bottom, and was generally the most genius guy I've ever met.

He couldn't vote. He helped commercialize a technology, created at least 100 jobs, and he couldn't freakin vote.

Voter ID is horseshit and just another distraction from the fact that the problem is already in Washington. And lining up to get into Washington. And used to be in Washington, but is now lobbying.
Attachments:
supa.jpg
Good job SuperMan
supa.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 670 times
Adams wrote: Because there isn't widespread voter fraud and its an attempt to keep several demographics who typically vote D from being able to vote.
By demographics you mean the dead vote, folks voting more than once and well over 100% turn out at some stations, right?

Google voter fraud and you'll see some from the last election.
Last edited by Plow on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plow wrote:
Adams wrote:
B.M. Barrelcooker wrote: Because there isn't widespread voter fraud and its an attempt to keep several demographics who typically vote D from being able to vote.
By demographics you mean the dead vote, folks voting more than once and well over 100% turn out at some stations, right?

Google voter fraud and you'll see some from the last election.
you quoted me wrong....adams said that
Well sh!t, Panama...

BTW, don't hire boat boys. Surely, there must […]

Intro

I’d also like to put in a request that jos[…]

2021 Smalljaw Swap

Do you know where I live? Who I am? WTF is pumpe[…]

whatcha tying?

DDC59DB3-2C89-462E-916C-0BA91C6171A4.jpeg Fuc[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine