Glad the CEO of BP

cantfishforshit
Location: Whever I happen to be at the moment, unless I am drunk.

Glad the CEO of BP

Post by cantfishforshit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Glad the CEO of BP was allowed to make the decision to go with the cheaper safety shut off valves on the oil rigs. We wouldn't want some "intrusive big government agency" to tell him to use the better valves. That would just be too much.

http://gulfseafoodnews.com/2014/04/21/g ... opulation/
Better be putting together one hell of a plan to survive this clusterfuck.
-Blumpkin

If it isn't listed on the commodities market, it gets plowed under in favour of something that is. There's no money in willows or young poplar or native grasses.
-Peetso

Roses are red. Bacon is red. Poetry is hard. Bacon
-Unknown

blumpkin

Re: Glad the CEO of BP

Post by blumpkin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 pm

cantfishforshit wrote:Glad the CEO of BP was allowed to make the decision to go with the cheaper safety shut off valves on the oil rigs. We wouldn't want some "intrusive big government agency" to tell him to use the better valves. That would just be too much.

There is no intrusive big government agency, people go straight from the oil industry and go to work for the Feds as regulators. And trust me they keep their alliances with their former employers.

What is your point?

What has your President done to change this cronyism in the wake of the BP spill.
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:29 pm

[report]Regulatory capture is a form of political corruption that occurs when a regulatory agency, created to act in the public interest, instead advances the commercial or special concerns of interest groups that dominate the industry or sector it is charged with regulating. Regulatory capture is a form of government failure; it creates an opening for firms to behave in ways injurious to the public (e.g., producing negative externalities). The agencies are called "captured agencies".[/report]
Travis.

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:30 pm

[report]Examples[edit]

United States examples[edit]

Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement[edit]

In the aftermath of the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill, the Minerals Management Service (MMS), which had regulatory responsibility for offshore oil drilling, was widely cited as an example of regulatory capture.[7][8] The MMS then became the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE) and on October 1, 2010, the collection of mineral leases was split off from the agency and placed under the Department of the Interior as the Office of Natural Resources Revenue (ONRR). On October 1, 2011, BOEMRE was then split into two bureaus, the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) and the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM).[9]

The three-stage reorganization, including the name change to BOEMRE, was part of a re-organization by Ken Salazar,[9] who was sworn into office as the new Secretary of the Interior on the same day the name change was announced.[10] Salazar's appointment was controversial because of his ties to the energy industry.[11] As a senator, Salazar voted against an amendment to repeal tax breaks for ExxonMobil and other major petroleum companies[12] and in 2006, he voted to end protections that limit offshore oil drilling in Florida's Gulf Coast.[13] One of Salazar's immediate tasks was to "[end] the department's coziness with the industries it regulates"[11] but Daniel R. Patterson, a member of the Arizona House of Representatives, said "Salazar has a disturbingly weak conservation record, particularly on energy development, global warming, endangered wildlife and protecting scientific integrity. It's no surprise oil and gas, mining, agribusiness and other polluting industries that have dominated Interior are supporting rancher Salazar — he's their friend."[11] Indeed, a spokesman for the National Mining Association, which lobbies for the mining industry, praised Salazar, saying that he was not doctrinaire about the use of public lands.[11]

MMS had allowed BP and dozens of other companies to drill in the Gulf of Mexico without first attaining permits to assess threats to endangered species, as required by law.[14] BP and other companies were also given a blanket exemption from having to provide environmental impact statements.[14] The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) issued strong warnings about the risks posed by such drilling and in a 2009 letter, accused MMS of understating the likelihood and potential consequences of a major spill in the Gulf of Mexico.[14] The letter further accused MMS of highlighting the safety of offshore drilling while understating the risks and impact of spills and playing down the fact that spills had been increasing.[14] Both current and former MMS staff scientists said their reports were overruled and altered if they found high risk of accident or environmental impact.[14] Kieran Suckling, director of the Center for Biological Diversity, said, "MMS has given up any pretense of regulating the offshore oil industry. The agency seems to think its mission is to help the oil industry evade environmental laws."[14]

After the Deepwater accident occurred, Salazar said he would delay granting any further drilling permits. Three weeks later, at least five more permits had been issued by the minerals agency.[14] In March 2011, BOEMRE began issuing more offshore drilling permits in the Gulf of Mexico.[15] Michael Bromwich, head of BOEMRE, said he was disturbed by the speed at which some oil and gas companies were shrugging off Deepwater Horizon as "a complete aberration, a perfect storm, one in a million," but would nonetheless soon be granting more permits to drill for oil and gas in the gulf.[15][/report]
Travis.

cantfishforshit
Location: Whever I happen to be at the moment, unless I am drunk.

Post by cantfishforshit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:33 pm

blumpkin wrote:[report]Regulatory capture is a form of political corruption that occurs when a regulatory agency, created to act in the public interest, instead advances the commercial or special concerns of interest groups that dominate the industry or sector it is charged with regulating. Regulatory capture is a form of government failure; it creates an opening for firms to behave in ways injurious to the public (e.g., producing negative externalities). The agencies are called "captured agencies".[/report]

It happens to an extent to some agencies, but not all, and you guys just keep on supporting the "job creators" to the highest degree. All the while bitching about taxes, when after write offs, they are paying around 0-20% in taxes. The valves should be regulated by the EPA and not all government control is a bad idea. Those are my points. As far as the president, he's done a lot more than any Republican has...it's still not enough, but he has done more than Bush et al.
Better be putting together one hell of a plan to survive this clusterfuck.
-Blumpkin

If it isn't listed on the commodities market, it gets plowed under in favour of something that is. There's no money in willows or young poplar or native grasses.
-Peetso

Roses are red. Bacon is red. Poetry is hard. Bacon
-Unknown

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Who gives a fuck about Republicans, read the words in white letters, with the black background.

Apparently Ken Salazar is as bad as anybody, and has quite a reputation for sucking corporate dick.
Travis.

Plow

Post by Plow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Must be getting close to elections, the demonizing is starting.

Get a grip cant, do it for the kids.
Better Reds than dead...

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Give me the examples of what has been done Dwayne, by anybody, R or D.

They just changed the name and kept the corruption, in the case I illustrated, with historical facts and such.
Travis.

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:47 pm

I could tell you about corruption surrounding Environmental Impact Statements and Solar Farms in the Mojave Desert involving former Secretary of Energy Chu, Harry Reid, his 4 lobbyist sons and his lobbyist son-in-law.

But, I already know you don't want to hear about that.
Travis.

gadflyfisher

Post by gadflyfisher » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:56 pm

blumpkin wrote:
cantfishforshit wrote:Glad the CEO of BP was allowed to make the decision to go with the cheaper safety shut off valves on the oil rigs. We wouldn't want some "intrusive big government agency" to tell him to use the better valves. That would just be too much.

There is no intrusive big government agency, people go straight from the oil industry and go to work for the Feds as regulators. And trust me they keep their alliances with their former employers.

What is your point?

What has your President done to change this cronyism in the wake of the BP spill.
Pretty sure I remember you saying you voted for him.
He is all of our president like him or not.

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm

I had to go to anger management classes after Bush / Cheney... Strewth.

I knew once he won the Iowa Caucus, that Obama would win.
Axlerod ran the best campaign in the history of the universe.

I loved the historic aspect of it and I was sick of Texas Cowboys... Halliburton... KBR... Blackwater... The Clinton's.

No big surprise, it was all bullshit and things just got worse.
Started at the inauguration, and picked up steam from there.

Now I fight for citizens, against a corrupt, tyrannical Federal Government.

And soon I will be a felon, like the rest of my Anti-Federal Government Crazy veteran friends.

Then I wont have to worry about which self-serving prick to vote for.

The Mexicans will decide for me.
Last edited by blumpkin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis.

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:24 pm

If anyone changes my quote, to insinuate that I fight for the Koch brothers, they damn well better be prepared to confront me in person.

George Soros cock sucking Mother Fuckers.
Last edited by blumpkin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis.